• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

It's Chaos!:)

cherryfilters

Juvenile Dragon
when i first got steven she was quite not too fond of handling, she still isn't. but when i reach in to get her out she doesn't puff or run away anymore like she used too. every time i take her out i give her treats so she knows whenever she comes out of her enclosure for handling she will be fed yummies lol. and she has been more cooperative this way. :) maybe try feeding her a treat when you take your bd out for handing? see if that makes a difference after a few sessions.

I.heart.my.bd

Juvenile Dragon
when i first got steven she was quite not too fond of handling, she still isn't. but when i reach in to get her out she doesn't puff or run away anymore like she used too. every time i take her out i give her treats so she knows whenever she comes out of her enclosure for handling she will be fed yummies lol. and she has been more cooperative this way. :) maybe try feeding her a treat when you take your bd out for handing? see if that makes a difference after a few sessions.

how old is your bd and what kind of treat do you give him/her?

cherryfilters

Juvenile Dragon
i'm not too exactly sure how old my bd is but i'm going to guesstimate around 3 months (she's still young, but growing quick!).

for treats i feed her waxworms and the dried grasshopper treats. i do not feed the wax worms too much or often because it's high in fat. you can also give them butter worms, silk worms, and phoenix worms which i hear makes a great staple becuase it is high in protein. I did treat her with hornworms, but i'd wait til they gets bigger, because mine is now afraid of them and they are too big for them to handle when they are young, imo.

Anyways, what i did to get her a bit used to being handled was to get her used to being hand fed by tongs. taught her where her feeding bowl is that way too. she finally got used to the tongs learning that those give her food. i'd get her to follow the tongs around the enclosure slowly (feed her one by one and leading her spot by spot). and when i got her up on her basking spot i would lead the tongs toward my hand then not really realizing where the tongs are taking her she would crawl up onto my hand following the food. I am still trying to get her used to it. so she is learning slowly, being handled = goodies/treats. there are times when she'll try to run away so i'd hold your bd over your enclosure and not so high up so Chaos won't do suicidal jumps and get hurt.
this is just a technique i use to try and get her used to being held. hope this helps!

cherryfilters

Juvenile Dragon
ps. you can use any live feeders as a "treat", just make sure you kinda move it around a little so it goes after it. if you hold the tongs still and the feeder is not moving i don't think they will go after it because they like live prey. what i do is feed it a worm then alternate with something else using the wax worms once or twice. i used crix and worked great. after she got used to the tongs i started the dried grasshoppers, which you have to kinda move around to make it look like they are alive.

cherryfilters

Juvenile Dragon
that's good :) same with mine, she'll tolerate the handling for only a certain amount of time lol.

you should get a lamp with a clamp so i you can post it up somewhere and have your bd just hang out underneath it when out of the enclosure. but try the technique and see how your bd reacts to it. let me know if it works out for you :)

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Decent theory, but will you also provide UVB along with the heat outside the enclosure?

cherryfilters

Juvenile Dragon
do you need to if your bd gets UVB all day long? even if your bd is out of the enclosure for a short period of time? i've seen in a good amount of videos where the owners have their bd out roaming about with no UVB light following the bd around.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
lol - No, not for a short time. But if a heat lamp is needed for an out of the enclosure excursion, one would think that it would be for an extended period of time, not a short one, that's why the comment. Sorry if I misunderstood, but could not see the necessity for a heat bulb for short time outing :confused: .

cherryfilters

Juvenile Dragon
i just have the heat lamp out because sometimes it gets a little cooler in my room because i leave my windows open. but thanks for the concerns :)

I.heart.my.bd

Juvenile Dragon
good morning all:) I can't get over how much Chaos is growing...he seems so big to me now at only about five months or so...take a look!

Attachments

• Chaosgrowing.jpg
    Chaosgrowing.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 36
  • Chaosgrowing2.jpg
    Chaosgrowing2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34

I.heart.my.bd

Juvenile Dragon
so excited that Chaos is now eating his greens on the regular, eating superworms and mealworms every so often and of course his crickets daily! He is getting so big now too!!! He doesnt look like a baby anymore:(

Latest posts