• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help me! What wrong with my 3 1/2 yo dragon

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you all for your help I will keep you all updated

Does anyone know what the treatment is for neurological problems?

Also would the horn worms have anything to do with this; like the horn being stuck someplace?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't really know what can be done for neruo issues but make sure you take them to a reptile vet that way they know about them.. I don't think the hornworms would do anything as they are mostly water anyways..

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
That's what it looks like to me too. That's not brummation behavior.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Neurological problems can be mbd or he may have fallen. I don't know if any parasites will have these symptoms. If he won't walk that's huge so it's for sure vet visit time . The treatment for an injury is gonna be different than some deficiency in something.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I agree with the others, it def looks neurological. You really need to have a vet look at him. I'm not sure what can be done. A hornworm wouldn't be stuck for days. As soon as they start going down the throat, the acids in the throat and stomach start breaking them down and deflating them. I know this because when I first got my chameleon, I panicked and thought he choked on a hornworm and I pulled it out and it was completely flattened.

samar

Bearded Dragon Egg
He's seems to be improving just a hair every day! He doesn't seem to be loosing any weight or plumpness. But has not eaten. I have been syringe feeding pedialite, liquid calcium and a liquid vitamin about 2 mL a day. His appointment is on Thursday.

Still no walking but a more head movement and reactions to touch. (Like when I started syringe feeding him he was super lethargic and now he's fighting me with it and responding to the taste of the vitamins).

So I defiantly see slight improvement. But still can't wait until Thursday. I have called around and am also on the vets waiting list!

samar

Bearded Dragon Egg
2673182f693b852f52d5e54cee2e5249.jpg

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
He looks so sweet, I hate when stuff happens and we don't know what is wrong. Hopefully the vet can get you in sooner.

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
That's good . Know we're all waiting with you for the vet visit. I think you said his main veggies were kale and squash. I think kale is a sometimes food. Do u have access to mustard greens or turnip greens dandelion greens . I shred cucumber over hefs salad for moisture. My grandson likes to hold a whole leaf for hef it looks funny when he rips it up. You have to vary up their salads to get a better a ray of nutrients. I'm so anxious for your appt. I hope it's something so simple that he'll be running around asap.

Jack Reeman

Hatchling Dragon
Looking at the video, you need to see your vet immediately

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
I actually didnt see the multiple pages!

But has your beardie pooped recently? Sorry if you've already answered that. Its important because sometimes impaction (constipation) in severe cases can cause paralysis of the back legs, this is because the poop is esentially pushed up the beardies spine, cutting off the feeling in their back legs. This CAN be temporary, and it can also be permanent, depending on the damage and if your beardie can poop in time.

Also he could have developed MBD or metabolic bone disease through insufficient UVB lighting and Vitamins, there is no cure for this.

Obviously all of the other theories can be right.

Good luck, hope all goes well.

samar

Bearded Dragon Egg
I actually didnt see the multiple pages!

But has your beardie pooped recently? Sorry if you've already answered that. Its important because sometimes impaction (constipation) in severe cases can cause paralysis of the back legs, this is because the poop is esentially pushed up the beardies spine, cutting off the feeling in their back legs. This CAN be temporary, and it can also be permanent, depending on the damage and if your beardie can poop in time.

Also he could have developed MBD or metabolic bone disease through insufficient UVB lighting and Vitamins, there is no cure for this.

Obviously all of the other theories can be right.

Good luck, hope all goes well.

The more Information the better

He lasted pooped on Monday (1 week ago). He has not eaten anything since Friday July 8th. He's still pretty plump and no hardness in the belly. I message it daily in a warm bath. The last thing he ate was a few horn worms that I purchased from my local exotic pet store. I was thinking the horn on the worms could be hurting him.

I have an appointment on Thursday with exotic pet dr. Just very anxious. Everyday he shows some very little improvement

Don't think it's MBD because he gets dusted super worms daily! Unless this last UVB/UVA bulb is bad. I ordered it online. Does anyone know they best way to tell? I just replaced it about 1 month ago!

Jack Reeman

Hatchling Dragon
The more Information the better

He lasted pooped on Monday (1 week ago). He has not eaten anything since Friday July 8th. He's still pretty plump and no hardness in the belly. I message it daily in a warm bath. The last thing he ate was a few horn worms that I purchased from my local exotic pet store. I was thinking the horn on the worms could be hurting him.

I have an appointment on Thursday with exotic pet dr. Just very anxious. Everyday he shows some very little improvement

Don't think it's MBD because he gets dusted super worms daily! Unless this last UVB/UVA bulb is bad. I ordered it online. Does anyone know they best way to tell? I just replaced it about 1 month ago!

Okay thats a good start!

I think the hornworms are the issue! They are HUGE! One is more than enough, but 4! That is most likely going to cause inpaction, the best thing is to start preparing for that by giving her warm baths for 20 minutes on the first day then giving her a 10 minute bath every day until she starts to poop atleast once every other day. I personally wouldnt feed spyro anymore until she has a huge poop or poops regularly.

Obviously still go to the vet, because im not physically there to see it happen so i might be wrong!

I wouldnt feed her anything bigger than the space between the eyes, and the more you feed the smaller the food has to be, and obviously the bigger the food, the less you feed.

I hope it all goes well. Keep us posted!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hornworms once ingested burst and the belly acids will have done enough for them to pass.. I don't see them as being the issue they are GREAT for moisture..
In addition to the food you are giving. Have you tried a slurry fed thru syringe? Baby food Gerber naturals pumpkin and add in some water (I do this when in the bath as it can get messy) and if in a day or so he doesn't poop then add in a drop or two of olive oil, gentle belly massages and even slightly warmer water (more than what you typically do)...

samar

Bearded Dragon Egg
He's at the vet now and the only thing he thinks it is is a blockage! Any suggestions out there for blockage without paying the vet $400

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You need to find out what is causing the blockage. Hornworms are all water and mushy skin, that's not going to cause impaction. The vet is going to need to take an X-ray and see if there isn't something that was eaten by accident causing the blockage.

samar

Bearded Dragon Egg
I really don't believe it's a blockage he pooped the Monday after he ate the horn worms. I think he has s URI and has a lot of mucus and the vet stated his throat is very swollen. So they put humongous anti inflammatory and antibiotics

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
I hope that's it. Did the vet say to adjust your temp or anything.

samar

Bearded Dragon Egg
No nothing about that he mostly kept saying he wants to operate. But to me since he has not eaten in 2 weeks he's not gonna poop

samar

Bearded Dragon Egg
I know it's been awhile but life has been crazy!

No real change in Gex and the doctor has no clue what's going on! He's been on antibiotics and anti-inflammatories for 6 days. Still no poop no eating and no movement.

He's doing this swallowing kind of thing and opens his mouth every now and then. I have been giving him some pedialyte with vitamins and calcium daily! He's starting to get bloated now and am really feeling bad for him. When his eyes are open I feel like he's staring at me asking me to help him! I found this herbal supplement on greenpetmeds.com it's called reptiaid. Has anyone heard of it?

Latest posts