• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help me! What wrong with my 3 1/2 yo dragon

samar

Bearded Dragon Egg
My male bearded dragon has had some very odd behavior. And I really don't think it's anything to be concerned about but wanted to see you have experienced this with any of your dragons.

My dragon Gex is 3 1/2 years old he's always docile and friendly. On Friday I purchased some horn worms from my local exotic pet store and he ate 4 of them (don't know if this has to do with his behavior or not). But since Friday he's goes from beening black/grey bearded with minor head bobbing to the extreme that happened at 3 in the morning on Sunday He was in full mating mode solid black beard with flat body and slight hissing. He was not aggressive I was able to reach in his cage and pick him up. Since then he has been sleeping on and off with just a constant minor head Bob starting today he started a minor shiver after the head Bob. I do not have a female or any other beardies around. Some people have told me and maybe just puberty setting in but the more I read up the less I read about that. He's a very healthy male bearded dragon that eats very regularly mainly his diet is kale squash super worms and occasional worms you're sober as what I can find them at the stores. Has worms or dusted every day with calcium powder

PLEASE HELP

Thanking you in advance for your immediate response to this important matter

Sent from my iPhone

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum.. Sounds like he may be seeing his reflection?
I would add in some dark greens like collards, mustard greens, turnip greens, dandelion greens into his diet and kale can be added but it's a occasional to be fed item.. but as long as you mix it up with some of the other leafy greens that's ok.

And it also could be him just being a boy :)

samar

Bearded Dragon Egg
That is what I thought until these past 2 days. Were you able to to view the video I posted of him

He's kind of army crawling and shivering! He seems very tired and has not been eating.

I did get a multivitamin, liquid calcium and some pedialite A vet cant see him until next week

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That is what I thought until these past 2 days. Were you able to to view the video I posted of him

He's kind of army crawling and shivering! He seems very tired and has not been eating.

I did get a multivitamin, liquid calcium and some pedialite A vet cant see him until next week
Where did you post your video?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
To post a video you need to upload it to Youtube and then insert the link in you comment. Army crawling and shivering are not good signs. Keep the vet appointment and maybe ask them if they have a cancellation if they can get you in sooner. When was the last time he pooped? What are his tank temps and what kind of UVB are you using and when did you replace it last?

samar

Bearded Dragon Egg
I just replaced both UVA/UVB and basking bulb with in the last month

The hot side is 102-107. And cool side is 78-80 degrees.

Last ate was Friday and he ate 4 horn worms. And pooped on Monday ( it was a little watery but not too bad. Still had consistency to it).

Do you think do to his hyper/mating activity for 4 days do you think he could be trying to go into brumation?

Yesterday I bought some liquid multi vitamins and calcium for dragons and am mixing it with pedialite. Giving it with a syringe in the corner of his mouth

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Army crawling is super weird. Good luck with your vet visit. Keep us posted. Mbd affects their neurological system if severe they can't control their movements.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

samar

Bearded Dragon Egg
Does anyone think that he may be trying to Brumate and is trying to fight it?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Does anyone think that he may be trying to Brumate and is trying to fight it?
if your saying he's crawling dragging his back legs that's not fighting brummation they go into their sleep functioning normally just slow... I would take him to the vet if he's still acting weird..

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
I watched it over and over. They can get injured by falling or jumping from something too high. It almost looks like he's scratching himself or maybe afraid of those branches that are over him. They hv a 3rd eye on top of their head so if somethings over him he may feel afraid . Can he walk right when he has good traction under him?

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
I'd take everything away that's over his head. Those branches don't look safe. If they fall with him on them they can hurt him .

Candybugs

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
It would be helpful if you can put him on a towel in a clear area so we can see him walk.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
:( I have to go by what candybugs says as I can't see the video for some reason... but then again I do have my computer locked down pretty well..

samar

Bearded Dragon Egg
Those are the items that are always in his house. The only reason I took that video is because it started happening. Since then I have towels and softness around him

Has anyone heard of brunation this time of the year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Looks neurological to me like he fell, looks like he can use his back legs but the arching and weird movements look neuro related.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Those are the items that are always in his house. The only reason I took that video is because it started happening. Since then I have towels and softness around him

Has anyone heard of brunation this time of the year

typically they brummate during the fall however when their bodies decide to do so.....however I don't think that is what this is..

samar

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you all for your help I will keep you all updated

Does anyone know what the treatment is for neurological problems?

Also would the horn worms have anything to do with this; like the horn being stuck someplace?