• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

You know you're a bearded dragon owner when ...

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes. Um, I think Alley's a girl again? I'm not sure of his/her sex. But there are these two little bumps above his/her vent, and there's no bumps under the base of the tail.

You know you're a bearded dragon owner when your dragon confuses you as to his/ her sex. I think I have an odd beardie because he/she changed his/her sex? LOL!

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Yes. Um, I think Alley's a girl again? I'm not sure of his/her sex. But there are these two little bumps above his/her vent, and there's no bumps under the base of the tail.

You know you're a bearded dragon owner when your dragon confuses you as to his/ her sex. I think I have an odd beardie because he/she changed his/her sex? LOL!
Like I just said in a previous post... we were sure "Misty" was a girl until she suddenly dropped and knocked up both of my females. Henceforth known as "Gabriel".

Chelsey

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
you know youre a BD owner when you take your beardie outside on a harness and worry that every moving thing could be toxic (Ive heard lady bugs are toxic to BDs when eaten)

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Don't think lady bugs are ... but fireflies\lightning bugs are. Haven't tested it out, but it is said that it only takes one to take a BD down quite quickly.

Chelsey

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Don't think lady bugs are ... but fireflies\lightning bugs are. Haven't tested it out, but it is said that it only takes one to take a BD down quite quickly.

and this is why I worry. ha.
any news on ants (fire ants), small beetles, water bugs, stink bugs, mosquitoes, gnats, various spiders? just to list a few things Worley and I came across when I took him outside for the first time.
527759_10152002710435413_104730728_n.jpg

he did enjoy chomping down on some grass and clovers. but was mad that I wouldn't let him eat anything else.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Fireflies are the only ones that I am aware of, that are in themselves 'Toxic', this isn't to say that others may not have been into something that could be toxic. I don't really recommend letting them be out & not in a controlled environment. We try to keep their enclosures as clean as possible, which in it's own way, can be detrimental to their immune system, because it hasn't built itself up by having to fight anything off. Introducing it to insects & fauna, that is not native to them, is not really the best of plans.

LizMartell

Bearded Dragon Egg
Fireflies are the only ones that I am aware of, that are in themselves 'Toxic', this isn't to say that others may not have been into something that could be toxic. I don't really recommend letting them be out & not in a controlled environment. We try to keep their enclosures as clean as possible, which in it's own way, can be detrimental to their immune system, because it hasn't built itself up by having to fight anything off. Introducing it to insects & fauna, that is not native to them, is not really the best of plans.

I have all kinds of fireflies in my yard so my Beardie won't be outside much unless he is in a screen cage.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ditto! Alley, now Allie, a girl by the way, doesn't go out at night with the fireflies. I won't even let her taste the ground. She tries. I went ahead and got her a travel crib that babies use. Sure, she'll climb the sides, but she's safe and she's asleep in her travel crib now. :)

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Not sure, but maybe someone will have more info. I'm wondering the same thing. Will she get mites and parasites from being in the long grass outside our fence. We've got three dogs and they go everywhere inside the fence. Outside the fence, is long grass and clover. There are neighborhood dogs and cats roaming around freely. No one except us keeps our dogs inside a fence.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Same here! Breakfast before me or we'll eat breakfast together. She'll eat her breakfast either in her travel crib or in her home. She loves it when I give her surprises in her salad. I'll tell her her salad's got a surprise in it. I'll tell her she has pineapple surprise, apple surprise, mango surprise, watermelon surprise, or blackberry surprise. (I don't feed her a lot of fruits.)

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You know you're a bearded dragon owner when you 'spend' all of your money on her and the other animals, of course, I have a zoo. The only thing I don't have is a snake, spider, scorpion, and a frog. :) Don't need to add anymore to my zoo of course. ;)

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Scary! Good thing there are no fireflies in this area ;)

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Scary! Good thing there are no fireflies in this area ;)

There are tons of them here. None during the day, with the exception of one walking around the screen door to my front door. :)

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yep, you definitely do live in firefly territory.
Yep! I guess we should have been called the firefly state instead of the peach state. :) LOL.

By and by, what do you know you about the canned lizard food like freeze-dried grasshoppers, freeze-dried pillars, and have you heard of instant dehydrated food and all you add is warm water to rehydrate? It's like an instant meal. Could you tell me if these are really good for beardies?

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Yep! I guess we should have been called the firefly state instead of the peach state. :) LOL.

By and by, what do you know you about the canned lizard food like freeze-dried grasshoppers, freeze-dried pillars, and have you heard of instant dehydrated food and all you add is warm water to rehydrate? It's like an instant meal. Could you tell me if these are really good for beardies?
I don't use freeze dried insects, sorry. Generally BD's like to chase their prey and don't see it as food unless it's moving. I know there are BD pellets and things like that you can use that you add water too... is that what you're referring to with dehydrated food?

Latest posts