• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

MBD??

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
My little female leather back doe's not eat much protien; crix; and when she does it is only 3-4-5 sometimes and she has a funny little curve to her. I am wondering if she has been lacking-d-3 as she is not the best eater and never moves too often from the hot side of her tank. Any help would be appreciated-i keep her hydrated with a few baths a week. Given some ph; worms and she will eat those but does not eat too many crix; Need some help here. thanks for all who reply-bella-aka-river

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
IF: You have a proper strength UVB that covers the Basking Spot at a close enough distance to be effective as it should be (8-10") & you say that she doesn't often move from it (Not a Bad thing), she should be getting enough UVB to manufacture her own D3. You have so many now, but I am guessing that this is one of the rescues. If she has a slight back curvature, it is quite possible that the previous owners did not have the proper set up & she has MBD. MBD is not reversible, but if kept in a properly set up enclosure, with the proper lighting at the right distances to be effective & the UVB is up to date, MBD can be stopped from progressing further & she can still lead a good life, although it's overall lifespan may be shortened somewhat in the long run, because of the initial affliction.

How old & how big is she? BDs appetites will vary, there are some that never do eat a lot & if she is not very active, then she is not expending a lot of energy, so does not require as much nutrition. Be sure to dust all feeders with as much Calcium as you can get to stick to them, the Phoenix worms too. If she is eating Greens at all, it would be a good plan to lightly sprinkle some Calcium on them too, to help up her Calcium intake.

The way things work, is they need proper UVB to enable their Body to manufacture Vitamin D3, which in turn allows their body to properly process their much needed Calcium.

With your expanding 'Crew' ;), you may want to consider starting a roach colony.

Good Luck

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Germ; I too thought that as i have been reading the forum backwards now and i lace everything that goes in her mouth with calcium and the worms and salad-i figured on my own she needed this and i know she didn't have proper lighting before i got her and now she does. Her spine is not a bad curve but enough to know it's not right.Sometimes it looks as if it's the way she sleeps on her log[exact shape of log] and like today perfectly normal; I will be taking her to vet next fri; and maybe they may have something for her to help a little-but can't get appointment until then as they open 3-days a week and of course they are booked.could the lack of not enough protein be doing this?? As she eats very little crix; And some days she doe's good as i watch her closely. Thanks for any and all help-bella-aka-river sorry she is suppose to be 3-months but is only about 7-inches so very tiny.Shedding for the second time since i have had her.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If she is otherwise looking healthy & filled out, I would not be concerned about a lack of protein. It would not cause a deformity. If she sometimes looks normal & other times not, it is likely just Body positioning at the time.

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Today Germ; She looks filled out and you would think there is nothing wrong fat little tummy and no curve-i just can't figure this little girl out. She is walking around and fine looking and even moving from her heat sourse, and going to her cool spot. She has got me stumped for answers-i guess maybe the vet will help[i hope] Thanks Germ; So it looks like i'm doing what she needs for now.But i sure would feel better if she would eat a little more crix;-Thanks Germ; as always-bella She looks unwell some days and other days she looks great.When she lays down her tummy looks as if its fat rolling to one side of her-if that makes any sense.

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi: All; I am very sorry to say my little leather back='Dynasty' is very sick. When she walks she falls over and sleeps most of the time and not eating much.-I have been worried about her right from the start as she never did eat enough now;She is very sad to see and it makes me cry-But on a good note i got her into 1-of the best reptile vets around our area. She goes fri; morning and at least that's better then having to wait 2-weeks. And these people only deal with Beardies mostly and exotics. So Thank God for that.she can't walk too far at all and mostly falls over-but boy this little girl is a fighter. I have been getting phoniex worms into her-only a few but better then nothing and some baby food[squash, green beans mixed and she ate a little but very little and then fell asleep in her dish. She seems very weak-i bought her some butter worms and i know they are fattening but Lord nows the fat will not hurt her at this point she has lost soo much weight in such a short time and is soo weak.She just went down hill very quickly-At 1-point i thought MBD disease but know i know there is something seriously wrong with her and i hope the vet don't go to hard on her as she's soo frail at this point. We could really use some serious Prayers for my little fighter 'Dynasty' as she really needs all she can get-Thanks to all who respond in advance-I am going to take her in a plastic container that basically is fairly big and transport that way with a 72-hour shipping heat pack that i had., For emergencey's. And i will use a towel, and paper towels under her and also wrap her in a towel- this should keep her warm enough until i get her back home[God Willing.] She is a beautiful little girl and soo very special this little fighter of mine; I hope God see's fit to let me love and complete raising her, As i know they are only on loan to us to look after the best way possable. Dear Lord Please Pray For My Dear little girl as she really needs all the prayer's she can get.Bella-aka-river

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sorry to here of Dynasty's down turn. Thankfully you have access to what you say to be a very qualified Vet reasonably soon. Keep us posted as to updates & wish Dynasty and you, Bella, the best during this trying time.

Good Luck

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Let us know how the vet visit goes for sure. Good luck at the vet on Friday!

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Wow River! If every parent in the world provided for their kids the same way you provide for your pets, well let's just say that's a world worth living in. God bless you! :)

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks to all; I will deff; keep you all updated to her progress or degress but hopefully good news for my baby.I wish it was fri; Already as i know it can't come quick enough but i'm very lucky to have an appointment for her.It is just the times seems to go so slow when your'e waiting for help. Bella

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Sorry; I have added an extra, uvb; bulb, and i ordered her some liquid Calcium and still giving her calcium on anything that goes in her mouth. I know it can't hurt her any and hoping the vet has the answer to my questions.She was on a wood substrate when i got her and now i am wondering if it is possable to maybe some stuck in her little tummy.It was that no good walnut stuff which i removed right away and i can very easy see them eating it as Dynasty was trying to eat her paper towel when she was a little younger. Poor baby-'Oh Well we will work on getting her better. Butter worms and phoniex this morning for her-i know not a good breakfast along with her salad. But hoping it will give her some strengh.And with all her little troubles she's shedding on top of it of her legs and starting on her back.Hope she will eat some little worms as i got her tiny ones.I hope she perks up a little-They say the lord never gives more then we can indure but man i have had my share this week.bella-

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Her calcium[liquid] should be in today and doe's anyone know how much i give her with a syringe as i have not seen the vet and if calcium[liquid] is into today i would like to get her started ASAP-but don't know the dosage; Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks Bella-aka-river I would imagine it has directions on the bottle but you don't always go by that so any help please would be great and thanks in advance.

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks so much Noella; I will see the vet at 10-50-tomorrow morning so hopefully we can find out something.She looks a little better today then she did last night. She ate 7-phoniex worms and a little salad. I am sure she ate a few crix; but don't know how many. But she looks a little brighter.thanks for the link-Bella-aka-river

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks Germ; I did not administer any liquid calcium as it did not come in yet-Maybe for the best as i read your links Germ; and it is a little complicated-i will read again after we get back from the vet or they will advise as to how much to give her lol. Well have her container=i call it her get up and go box-i have lined it very thick with towels and paper towels so as not to burn her with this heat pack and another little towel to wrap her up in.Dear little baby when i picked her up last night to move her to get out her crix; She just looked up at me as if to say please help me.And i stroked her little head and she just closes her eyes. But she did look a little more alert yesterday then she has been Maybe the little food she is getting has helped somewhat. Well like all pets=Day of vet trip=NO POOPS, Really praying for a poop so i can have her tested for that thing that Mungi had.We have 3-hours before we leave and still hoping.Anything else i should do to her get up and go container??[plastic container from walmart with lots of holes] I think it is well lined as here in Canada is is -2 degree's this morning.Hoping she won't be too stressed with her visit-but i will do the best to keep her comfortable for her little trip.Going to give her worms for breakfast again this morning and hope for the best. My friend is going to drive us as i get very nervous, when something is wrong with 1-of my pets.I have not used heat packs before and it is a 72-hour shipping pack, So any advise on those from anyone please. Thank you all for your help and thoughts-bella-aka-river.Will report in when i get back and get 'Dynasty' settled in.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Awwww -2!!! Minus 22C here last night ;).

Good Luck with everything ... Keep us posted.

Latest posts