• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Eggs???

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Pictures would be great! I will be doing the same. Room in the basement. I told my wife they are beetles. She asked if I was just calling them beetles for her...... I just smiled. So funny to say I cant wait for my roaches to arrive! LOL

I'll take some better pics of my setup and Spike tonight. I keep having a problem with the pictures turned on the side. drives me crazy.
love the they are beetles lol that's funny... I didn't like them at first but they are actually pretty interesting.. still have to resist the urge to fling them across the room when they won't come off my fingers.. they are super grippy!!

shopman

Hatchling Dragon
Using the heat lamp and plastic tub? Doesn't the head bulb get to hot for the plastic and screen?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Using the heat lamp and plastic tub? Doesn't the head bulb get to hot for the plastic and screen?
I'm working on a post for you with the pictures.. I don't have the lamps right on the tubs they are about a foot away.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
20160310_125934.jpgAll clean
20160310_125605.jpgTub of feeders
20160310_132508.jpgAll this is the fras (to be left in for the nymphs)
20160310_132706.jpgThese are my from my main colony (left to right: Males, females, nymphs and juv)
20160310_132726.jpgBetter look at the females and males..

Oh I forgot the view with my lighting.

shopman

Hatchling Dragon
Very cool! Thanks for all that. It will really help me. I know right where I can do this in my basement storage area.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Very cool! Thanks for all that. It will really help me. I know right where I can do this in my basement storage area.
Your welcome your timing was good as I needed to sort them anyways :) My colony is heavy on the females and if I need to slow them down even more I can start feeding off a few of them. But as I said earlier I would rather have too many than not enough. Right before I got more roaches Izzy was eating up a storm and I was having to feed from my colony :( (I don't feed from them) as she didn't want any of the smaller nymphs or smaller juvs in my feeders. Then as I got a big shipment from Brandon to boost my feeder numbers/sizes and replenish my colony & Izzy decided to partially brummate and her eating habits took a nosedive! lol hence my high #'s of them now.. silly dragon. She is finally eating more so I go for the adults first from my feeder tub as they are now producing lol I also have a 10 gal mini set up in a spare room upstairs, that I have my weekly feeders in as going up/down the stairs is hard on me so I can just grab some from there. These roaches get a lid full of the greens/veggies that I feed Izzy so that helps gut load them as Izzy doesn't always eat her greens. This way she still gets the nutrients as the roaches polish off the greens and she eats the roaches... :)

Let me know if you need anything else. P.S. when your roaches arrive open them carefully and over your empty bin, I shake them out then carefully turn the bag inside out as they hold onto the fabric bag really well, and the nymphs hide really well on the crumbled up newspaper he ships them in :) Then do your sorting keeping out enough for 6-8 weeks (might be less with his they are always nice and plump and mostly pregnant already) to be your feeders.

shopman

Hatchling Dragon
Great information! I might have to do that with the 10 gallon tank. My son even said he might need some in his room to study. He really likes insects. The cricket cage we have is right on his desk. He like to her them cheep at night. This last bunch are big and loud. I'm not a fan!
Only bad thing on the delivery of my roaches is it needs to be signed for. I read your back and forth with Brandon and it was a drop shipment. I expected that. I have no one to sign for them. So I will have to wait an extra day to pick them up at the post office. Guess its not that big of a deal. I took some morning pics of Spike I will put in the gallery today. Morning he was really dark. Thanks again! I did get everything bought for both a colony and feeder. I do like the way you have your heat lamp shinning on the side of the bin. The far side is then your cool zone with the food. Ohhhh did find out Lowes does not carry water crystals. Bummer

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Great information! I might have to do that with the 10 gallon tank. My son even said he might need some in his room to study. He really likes insects. The cricket cage we have is right on his desk. He like to her them cheep at night. This last bunch are big and loud. I'm not a fan!
Only bad thing on the delivery of my roaches is it needs to be signed for. I read your back and forth with Brandon and it was a drop shipment. I expected that. I have no one to sign for them. So I will have to wait an extra day to pick them up at the post office. Guess its not that big of a deal. I took some morning pics of Spike I will put in the gallery today. Morning he was really dark. Thanks again! I did get everything bought for both a colony and feeder. I do like the way you have your heat lamp shinning on the side of the bin. The far side is then your cool zone with the food. Ohhhh did find out Lowes does not carry water crystals. Bummer
I buy my crystals from Home depot.. the first shipment I picked up from the post office the second one I signed for from my mail lady, but I'm home being disabled so that wasn't an issue. Yep the far side is my cool side for them.. glad the pictures helped.. Oh the orange is well for lack of better words is food that really gets them happy and breeding :)
He is going to love watching them as they really are interesting.. how they molt they are white and it takes 24 hours for them to change to brown :) just watch out for the red egg sac make sure you don't bother the females that are doing that or she will drop the eggs..

shopman

Hatchling Dragon
You feeding tank upstairs. Do you have that in normal daylight or in a dark area? Good call on the egg sacks. I had not read anything on that. Just found out we have another dragon in our neighborhood. So we might be able to sell a few. My son said he wants some of the money..... :) I told him he would have to help me out then.
I have heard home depot. I don't have one close. I am hoping the landscaping store we have close will carry it.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You feeding tank upstairs. Do you have that in normal daylight or in a dark area? Good call on the egg sacks. I had not read anything on that. Just found out we have another dragon in our neighborhood. So we might be able to sell a few. My son said he wants some of the money..... :) I told him he would have to help me out then.
I have heard home depot. I don't have one close. I am hoping the landscaping store we have close will carry it.
Yea I have a 10 gal upstairs (as going up and down our stairs to the basement is hard on my Rheumatoid arthritis and Fibro) I have it covered in black paper and I have the smallest under tank heater stuck to the side, no light other than what comes thru the mesh top. I put a week or so worth of roaches in there that get a dish of the same greens/veggies that I give to Izzy so if she doesn't eat her greens she does eat the roaches and they eat the salad.. It's just easier on myself and that way I know the roaches upstairs are gut loaded really good
That's pretty cool that there is another dragon in the neighborhood just remember they are solitary creatures so be careful if the 2 meet. That would be nice if once your colony gets going you can make a bit of $..
You might be able to find the polymer water crystals at michaels, hobby lobby, other garden stores.. you can also get them online.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey! Got my Dubia yesterday. Had to rush set up a little but we're good. I have 125w heat lamp on them. You also add space heater?
Awesome!! I had to use a space heater mainly because I'm in WI and winter in the basement I needed it to keep the heat up in good range

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Looking at your pics I might need to to move the heat lamp from the side to above.
I have them in front and then on the colony tub they get heat from the front and from above.. You just gotta look thru them and see where they are that will be a good indicator of how they are.. If they are all bunched up in front by the heat and not soo much spaced out along your egg flats towards the cooler end then add more heat. If they are spaced out from hot to middle and a few on the cool side your doing good on heat.. I find very few on the last flat and those are usually females and their new nymphs..

shopman

Hatchling Dragon
Hard to tell right now. I am still waiting on my egg flats to get here. I had to glue regular paper egg cartoons together to get started. I hope to see those tomorrow. I wasn't suppose to get them until today. I was working on the crates when the mail lady pulls up with them. Had to rush a little. Question..... do the sheds look like dead bodies just flat?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hard to tell right now. I am still waiting on my egg flats to get here. I had to glue regular paper egg cartoons together to get started. I hope to see those tomorrow. I wasn't suppose to get them until today. I was working on the crates when the mail lady pulls up with them. Had to rush a little. Question..... do the sheds look like dead bodies just flat?
:) ok no worries, yes the shed looks like that :) and the newly emerged dubia will be white.. I'm not sure on the red heat lamps I'll check today and get back to you..

Tony McAhren

Hatchling Dragon
A couple of additional tips I use when breeding dubia.
1. I use flat pieces of heavy paper which is basically take new empty file folders and just split them so they are in one flat piece and place them between the egg crates. Manilla folders are cheap and sturdy. This keeps the egg crates separated as they can be difficult to arrange.
2. I use a heat pad underneath the bin and the length is 2/3 of the bin. I place a space heater on the side that is warmer about a foot away on low and is plugged into a thermostat. This allows the space heater to regulate the temp and keep it within 3-5 degrees of my temp of 90. It varies between 86-90 only.
3. I wrap the bin with a couple of old blankets. My screen vent is on top so each blanket covers on third length wise. The end with the space heater has no blanket overlap as I need the heat to hit the bin directly. This allows me to save some electricity. The space heater does not run a lot but I have room that is too big and gets cooler this time of year.

Latest posts