• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Eggs???

shopman

Hatchling Dragon
We got my son a Bearded Dragon for Christmas and it has been a great addition to the family. I have a question about a food he likes. He loves his meal-worms and crickets but eats almost nothing else. He is very healthy. Growing and nice big belly. One day I gave him a small piece of scrambled eggs. He loved it. Now anytime I cook eggs I save him a small portion. Are eggs ok for him and if so how much should I give him? I know the protein is good just not sure about the rest. Thanks for the help!

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome. skip the eggs, please. how old is he? how big is he? wax worms are good. super worms are good - but your beardie needs to be over 6 months at least to eat these guys. small roaches are good - most of us feed Dubia. since I discovered dubias I haven't looked back at crickets. they don't smell. they don't make noise. they're easy to keep. they don't smell (did I mention that ?) and - really - sooooo much easier than crickets !! get over the yuck factor - its just another bug. if he's a young 'un he probably wont eat too much greens - but go ahead and offer greens, veggies and fruits OCCASIONALLY. see the link following my signature - one of our members put this awesome piece of work together - very comprehensive.

shopman

Hatchling Dragon
Hey guys, thanks for the help. I have been using the guide for feeding. We will keep it to rarely. We have had him since Christmas and he is about 12" long. He is going quit fast. Nice and fat.
Dubia..... where would I find these?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey guys, thanks for the help. I have been using the guide for feeding. We will keep it to rarely. We have had him since Christmas and he is about 12" long. He is going quit fast. Nice and fat.
Dubia..... where would I find these?
Depending on what state you are in you can find them in the pet stores you will either find Dubia roaches or in the states that don't allow those you should be able to get Discoid roaches (these are VERY similar to Dubia's they just need more humidity/heat)
They are expensive so you should decide what your staple food is going to be if it's roaches it's best to start a colony (they will be self sustaining after about 6-8 weeks and WAY cheaper to do) If you start a colony you can go many routes there is a member on here Brandon member name sixofwandstattoo I've dealt with him along with several others and he's reasonable and they are nice an plump and happy. Or online Discount Dubia's or South West Dragon's Both I've dealt with.

shopman

Hatchling Dragon
Great information Hdrydr31. I'm in IN and I have not seen them in the pet stores. Just crickets. My wife does not like the idea of roaches in the house. I'll have to do some research on building a colony. I am guessing a large plastic bin?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Great information Hdrydr31. I'm in IN and I have not seen them in the pet stores. Just crickets. My wife does not like the idea of roaches in the house. I'll have to do some research on building a colony. I am guessing a large plastic bin?

You can put her at ease both Dubia and Discoid roaches can not survive long enough outside their tub to produce especially there in IN.. :) They don't stink, can't climb, don't fly, don't make noise. You should be able to find Dubia there. They are fantastic feeders! very meaty/juicy great to gut load as they have a long GI tract. They are edible through out their entire life..
In the links below several of our signature lines we have put together general info.. I recently wrote up a section on care of Dubia colonies it tells you how to do it.. Keep in mind this is how I have my colony and it is producing very well others keep them differently with equal results. I'm here in WI so our weather is about the same as yours.

shopman

Hatchling Dragon
Here is our set up. My son and I built it together.

Attachments

• spike's house.jpg
    spike's house.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 24

shopman

Hatchling Dragon
Hdrydr31
How big does our guy need to be to eat the dubia's? The video's I"m watching they look huge. I know we could just use the babies but would we get to many large adults for one Bearded dragon? I will contact the guy to create a colony.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hdrydr31
How big does our guy need to be to eat the dubia's? The video's I"m watching they look huge. I know we could just use the babies but would we get to many large adults for one Bearded dragon? I will contact the guy to create a colony.

I just have the 1 dragon as well and I've got enough dubia now to feed 2 or 3 I think lol sigh.. Dubia are edible at all phases of their life however...the general rule of thumb is the space between the dragon's eyes is what is pretty safe. Only the adult dubia (male will have long wings and the female will be really shinny) will have a kinda hard shell on their head. they can get up to 2" and live 1 1/2 -2 years!
You can get a small colony to start with a base amount that's about 200-300 then ADD in enough to feed (in a separate tub so not to disturb the breeding colony) for 6-8 weeks as your colony settles and starts producing. 1 dubia = 5 crickets in nutrition. I know when I started Izzy on Dubia she ate 1 of the tubs I can buy at petco that has 20-30 in a day! Now did she need that many...probably not but well she was enjoying them :)
At 12" I would imagine yours could easily eat up to a juv roach (nymph up to the size of say a lima bean) as they don't have a hard shell and they are mostly meaty so they can chew them nicely.
Do a 3:1 ratio of females to male and I would say don't get any more than 10 adult females like 4 males. You want to have a good amount of all sizes so if your adults don't make it you don't have to wait long for another adult it takes about 6 months for a female to be productive age.
To control them you feed off extra adult males then if you have too many females producing feed off a few of them, then you go down the line at the different ages making sure not to feed off too many of each. Also lowering temps will slow them down.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I started having roaches pretty soon after getting Izzy 8/31/15 I had done alot of research and I had previously raised crickets due to I had a rescued house wren that ate them..and when she passed I decided I was tired of smelly crickets done it for 5 years for her. I had been buying tubs of dubia but that was insanely expensive, so I bought a couple hundred thinking ok this will last a bit... well it didn't last as long as I thought it would.. so I bought my colony 9/17/15 and about 200 in addition (actually got about 400+ he was generous)
Izzy is just under a year old now

shopman

Hatchling Dragon
Nice! We bought Spike..... (son named him/her not sure yet) for Christmas. He and I have had so much fun with him. I am a shop teacher so we built the enclosure I shared yesterday. It really is a great pet. The live feeding is the only hard part. I am already sick of the crickets. Last night I had to buy Large crickets and Spike loves them but is having a hard time catching them. We found two in the bath tub this morning. LOL

shopman

Hatchling Dragon
OHHH where can I buy the egg crates? Big R?
I will be building the Duria's box tonight.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Nice! We bought Spike..... (son named him/her not sure yet) for Christmas. He and I have had so much fun with him. I am a shop teacher so we built the enclosure I shared yesterday. It really is a great pet. The live feeding is the only hard part. I am already sick of the crickets. Last night I had to buy Large crickets and Spike loves them but is having a hard time catching them. We found two in the bath tub this morning. LOL
That's great you 2 did a great job. I can understand the crickets were a giant pain to upkeep but I had to so it's what I did.. But when she passed I was happy to switch over. As I was always loosing them in her tank and they bite and they will gnaw on a sleeping dragon. :(

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
OHHH where can I buy the egg crates? Big R?
I will be building the Duria's box tonight.
Gosh I bought them a long time ago online I just did a search for egg cartons or egg flats I think I bought the min of 100 and had my honey cut them in half on the table saw. For the roaches as they get big and heavy I use a wooden skewer stick for kabobs and poke them thru so they stand up.
you will know how they are temp wise by where they are in the flats if they are all bunched up towards the heat raise the heat up and they should spread out more. Put the food at the cool end. (did you read that link? it tells just what I do) I have slowed them down with lowering their temp.. When I bought more thinking Izzy would eat a ton she went into a partial brumation so that's where my excess in dubia came from :) silly dragon..

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
the picture was kinda small but looks good from what I can see. the links for new comers on general info has tons of info a few of us put together great resource.

shopman

Hatchling Dragon
That's great you 2 did a great job. I can understand the crickets were a giant pain to upkeep but I had to so it's what I did.. But when she passed I was happy to switch over. As I was always loosing them in her tank and they bite and they will gnaw on a sleeping dragon. :(
NO way!!!!! I didn't know that. I will clean house tonight! I"m upset with myself for not knowing that.

shopman

Hatchling Dragon
Gosh I bought them a long time ago online I just did a search for egg cartons or egg flats I think I bought the min of 100 and had my honey cut them in half on the table saw. For the roaches as they get big and heavy I use a wooden skewer stick for kabobs and poke them thru so they stand up.
you will know how they are temp wise by where they are in the flats if they are all bunched up towards the heat raise the heat up and they should spread out more. Put the food at the cool end. (did you read that link? it tells just what I do) I have slowed them down with lowering their temp.. When I bought more thinking Izzy would eat a ton she went into a partial brumation so that's where my excess in dubia came from :) silly dragon..
Can you send me that link? Missed it somehow. I have been watching youtube videos while my students work on a project. lol

shopman

Hatchling Dragon
Can you send me that link? Missed it somehow. I have been watching youtube videos while my students work on a project. lol

If you need to reduce your numbers do you want to sell me a start?
I tried to post a larger pic of the enclosure in media.

Latest posts