• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

1st beardie -- 1st diy cage(w/pics) -- looking for feedback

EAGLES

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Got all the tile in. Not extremely happy with the size differences between stones from the same box, made lines difficult at best.
The rear wall though is what has me annoyed. I ran out of tiles and both lowes and h.d. had nothing very close to it in stock. I used five of a second type with a similar color but they stick out like a sore thumb......and now they are siliconed very well in.
IMG_1151640x480.jpg

IMG_1150640x480.jpg

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
looking good. for the ones that don't match you can just hide them with some rocks.

EAGLES

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
staylor said:
looking good. for the ones that don't match you can just hide them with some rocks.

Thanks...that was what I was thinking, or since I am putting in a rock wall I might just shape it so those get mostly overhung covered.
The stain on the outside is darker than it appears in those two newest pictures.
Just have to figure out what to do with the tracks/wood trim....

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'd just get some oak boards to match, Matt! You can use them for the front like I did with the birch wood.

The tracks go on top and bottom of the window opening. Nothing on the sides....like this.
10007-03-200.jpg

EAGLES

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Craiger said:
I'd just get some oak boards to match, Matt! You can use them for the front like I did with the birch wood.

The tracks go on top and bottom of the window opening. Nothing on the sides....like this.
10007-03-200.jpg

Hope my Lowes or H.D. carries some....will go look after work today!

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
EAGLES said:
Craiger said:

10007-03-200.jpg

Hope my Lowes or H.D. carries some....will go look after work today!

Good luck! If not, you can order them online. That's how I got mine.

EAGLES

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I got the tile grouted, but it is still unfinished as I need to wait till tomorrow to wipe off the excess on the tiles.
I got my frame built for my glass door tracks....unfortunately H.D. no longer carries the Stanley plastic/vinyl traacj with dual 1/4" grooves, so I am still searching for an alternative for my doors.
Saturday I will get the foam on for the rock wall and then I will seal everything inside with minwax polycrylic which i picked up today.
So basically I need to find a track for my doors and then I can order the glass.
I will post pictures tomorrow after the excess grout is removed and it is cleaned up.

Any ideas on a track for 2-1/4" glass doors ??

EAGLES

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks!
I had come across that product before but couldn't find it the last couple days online.

Side note....wsh I would have cleaned up the grout off the tiles yesterday shortly after applying it....it is rock hard today, not sure how or if I will be able to remove it all....

EAGLES

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
OK...I want to go buy some polystyrene to make fake rock, but what else will I need?
I'm guessing something to adhere the multiple pieces of foam, then maybe a sealer to finish it off?
I want to color my fake rock reddish, what paint should I use before I seal everything?

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If you do what I did and get use a concrete mix, you can just purchase a dye to go in the mix and make it red. I chose a brown to match my tile.

Just use the GE II Silicone to adhere the foam. I sealed it with the grout sealer.

EAGLES

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Food dye? I'd like say two shades of red.
Any particular concrete mix?
Thanks!

EAGLES

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Well, I am undecided now.
Take a look at the updated viv, I have vents on the rear panel that I'd rather not cover up.
So.....I'm considering painting the oncovered oak, then making some rocks for each end and then for inbetween the two rear vents.

What do you guys think? What paint can I use if I seal it with polycrylic afterwards??

IMG_1154640x480.jpg

EAGLES

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
.....or should I just cut foam pieces to size to cover the bare wood areas on the back and sides and then structures off those pieces, which would still leave the vents uncovered and I wouldn't have to paint?
(this is probably the better way I'm guessing...?)

EAGLES

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Convinced myself, so off I went. I wish I had done the cutting outside as my carpet for a 10 sq ft space is now an 1/4" of pink thick, haha.
Now I need to build the ramps, basking spots, hides out of the rest.

Craiger....what type of concrete/cement? Food dye or paint for coloring?
Then when done just seal it with my polycrylic and i'm done right?

IMG_1157640x480.jpg

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
to keep the crickets from climbing out I suggest putting screen over the vents. It is looking good.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm really sorry, Matt. I didn't get on the computer much this past weekend.

Yeah, I would have recommended the carving of the foam before gluing it up. Much easier that way. Hope it goes smoothly for you. I agree with Sandra that some screen over the vents would be good to keep the crickets from escaping. Likely, some aluminum mesh.

The dye is specifically made for the Quickrete. You'll find it in the concrete section. It's real easy to mix with the moist concrete before applying it to the background. I sealed it with the grout sealer I mentioned earlier. I can't remember the exact type of Quickrete, though. Sorry....and I don't think I have the bag laying around anymore.

EAGLES

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
staylor said:
to keep the crickets from climbing out I suggest putting screen over the vents. It is looking good.

They come with screening attached, just not a very good camera.

EAGLES

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Craiger said:
I'm really sorry, Matt. I didn't get on the computer much this past weekend.

Yeah, I would have recommended the carving of the foam before gluing it up. Much easier that way. Hope it goes smoothly for you. I agree with Sandra that some screen over the vents would be good to keep the crickets from escaping. Likely, some aluminum mesh.

The dye is specifically made for the Quickrete. You'll find it in the concrete section. It's real easy to mix with the moist concrete before applying it to the background. I sealed it with the grout sealer I mentioned earlier. I can't remember the exact type of Quickrete, though. Sorry....and I don't think I have the bag laying around anymore.

The one layer you see in the pic is just form fitted in there, tight enough fit it doesn't fall apart.....but they are not glued yet.

Latest posts