• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

1st beardie -- 1st diy cage(w/pics) -- looking for feedback

EAGLES

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Craiger said:
GE II Silicone for adhesive and grout for tiles.

I still haven't had time to look into the Kilz2. Sorry. But I certainly wouldn't keep my beardies on that caulk. I'm afraid you might have to rip it out and redo it.

I did a LOT of homework while building each of my enclosures. They took several weeks, if not months, to finish. I researched the MSDS sheets of anything I didn't know was safe. If it was iffy, I tossed it out and kept looking for something until I found a safe product.

I've been in engineering for over 20 years and am well familiar with MSDS sheets. There should be something out there for the Kilz2 if you want to take a look at it. If anything jumps out at you (out-gassing at certain temps), prolonged exposure to heat and it's affect on humans/animals, breakdown temp (when the substance starts to corrode or breakdown to the point that it could be ingested), etc. Pretty much anything that might jump out at you and be a cause of concern. If you don't like what you're reading, toss it.

That's my suggestion. :D

Just keep in mind, when reading MSDS sheets, there are usually multiple sections for products who's properties have a curing process. There's usually data on the product in the liquid state and data on the product after it's cured. A lot of times, once it's cured, harmful properties no longer are an issue. Like most silicone, for example. It can pretty harsh when applying it. But once it's cured, you're good as golden.

Oh...and hey EAGLES, I forgot to welcome you to the forum. So....welcome, dude! I, too, was a fishkeeper for 20 years before getting into reptiles. For the record, I love reptiles a LOT more!

I look forward to your future posts. I like that you're a builder/craftsman. ;)

Here is the MSDS on the DAP: (i cant seem to figure out if it is safe or not after it's cured)
http://www.dap.com/docs/msds/00010079001_english.pdf
Two more things while I have some knowledgeable people:
1. Do I have to seal textured porcelain tiles or just grout-or-adhere them?
2. If the Kilz2 isn't enough on its' own I've seen others reccomend top coating it with an outdoor paint?

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They had a precautionary on the Kilz2 to avoid excessive heat and freezing. Looks like it's classified pretty close to that of the caulk you used.

Before you do anything, though, maybe we can dig into this a little more. Those precautionaries might not necessarily be an issue once the products are cured. However, if it's not too much work and you're just not comfortable with leaving those in with your beardie, I'd err on the side of safety and replace them. You might be glad you did in the long run.

EAGLES

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Craiger said:
They had a precautionary on the Kilz2 to avoid excessive heat and freezing. Looks like it's classified pretty close to that of the caulk you used.

Before you do anything, though, maybe we can dig into this a little more. Those precautionaries might not necessarily be an issue once the products are cured. However, if it's not too much work and you're just not comfortable with leaving those in with your beardie, I'd err on the side of safety and replace them. You might be glad you did in the long run.

True, but my DIY cage has now turned into even more hours and even more dollars spent. Feel like I wasted alot of both now and discouraged to have to go back to square one.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If it makes you feel any better, I've spent over $2000 in my DIY enclosures. Each one was no less than $700 total. Not sure how much you've put into yours, though.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
don't get discouraged...look at as investing in the enjoyment of the hobby :) I have spent way more then I thought I set aside and I just have tanks, but I love my beardies

EAGLES

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Ok, well as I see it I have two options:
1. Coat everything with a polyurethane (which specific ones are safe I don't know)
2. Pull out tile and clean off caulk, then redo with grout (which specific ones are safe I don't know)

If #1. What poly's can I use?

If #2. Which grout?

Also....even if i started over, what do i paint and seal the interior wood with?

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have to agree with Sandra. Nothing is too much for my Pogie. It is an investment and worth every penny

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
EAGLES said:
1. Coat everything with a polyurethane (which specific ones are safe I don't know)
2. Pull out tile and clean off caulk, then redo with grout (which specific ones are safe I don't know)

If #2. Which grout?

Also....even if i started over, what do i paint and seal the interior wood with?

I used a very simple caulk that was already mixed and in a tube. I think it was Kerycaulk (could be mis-spelled). I got it at Lowes.

Can't give you any information on any poly's. Haven't looked into them myself.

What type of wood do you have in her enclosure?

EAGLES

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Craiger said:
EAGLES said:

If #2. Which grout?

owners and

I used a very simple caulk that was already mixed and in a tube. I think it was Kerycaulk (could be mis-spelled). I got it at Lowes.

Plywood.
The caulk i used was in a DAP tube as well.
You'd figure with all these websites that there would be a 'detailed' list of all safe, common building materials.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
EAGLES said:
Craiger said:
EAGLES said:

If #2. Which grout?

owners and

Plywood.
You'd figure with all these websites that there would be a 'detailed' list of all safe, common building materials.

You know, that's a pretty good idea. Most hardwoods are good like oak and birch. You don't want to use cedar or pine due to outgassing. I used melamine-coated MDF for one of my enclosures and all birch for the other. I did use particle wood for my iguana elclosure, but it's sealed with an external grade acrylic latex and doesn't see nearly as much heat as the beardie enclosures. I've never had an issue with it.

Maybe we need to try and put our collective heads together, here, on MyBeardie.com and come up with such a list?

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Maybe we need to try and put our collective heads together, here, on MyBeardie.com and come up with such a list?

Ill second that one

EAGLES

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Craiger said:
EAGLES said:
Craiger said:
EAGLES said:

If #2. Which grout?

owners and

Plywood.

You know, that's a pretty good idea. Most hardwoods are good like oak and birch. You don't want to use cedar or pine due to outgassing. I used melamine-coated MDF for one of my enclosures and all birch for the other. I did use particle wood for my iguana elclosure, but it's sealed with an external grade acrylic latex and doesn't see nearly as much heat as the beardie enclosures. I've never had an issue with it.

I like that idea, but unfortunately I have zero to add just yet. Need to do some research this weekend. It's hard to get people to pitch in with details though.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We seem to do pretty good around these parts. Got a lot of peeps that have been around the hobby for a long time. Maybe Renee will come along and see the suggestion and we can make a go of it. If not, I'll try to drop her a line.....when I remember. LOL!

EAGLES

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Well, if I am to start over essentially....would anyone be kind enough to tell me what to use?
I have seen a few plans online, but they are a bit costly.(the ones i've seen)
Thanks.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have thread in here were the cost to build is about $150. Give me a few to find it and post it here.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
he used plywood but then covered it with tile, grout and sealant.

EAGLES

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
staylor said:
he used plywood but then covered it with tile, grout and sealant.

He doesn't show any of the tiling steps, is the tile only on the floor beneath that stuff he is using...or is it on the sides, back and top also?

Craiger...I like your in-wall set-up. Did you ever do a build thread for your stand alone you mentioned in the link above?

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
it is a plywood bottom for support, tile put over it and the sides are insulation carved like rocks, then covered in grout, then sealed with a sealant mixed with play sand for traction and appearance.

Latest posts