• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

new to this!

kingkayla

Hatchling Dragon
Ok so take the UVB and place on one end of that tank I am going to post a pic of a 20 gallon I had for Blaze - you want the UVB w/ no cover over the bulb if there is a plastic one on the fixture and you want the UVB approx 6-8 inches directly over the basking decor 6-8 inches - on my 20 gallon I had the UVB going vertical over the center of the tank w/ the basking bulb clamped to the end - you can place the screen back on your tank w/ the UVB on one end and the basking bulb close to it but you MUST have the digital probes to get surface basking temps of 105-110 - can you tell me the wattage of the basking bulb - is it 50 or 75 watt?
doesn’t the screen take away like a percentage of the UVB rays though? and i threw away the box cause i’m a completely idiot. will it say it on the bulb itself ? i set it up like this for now tell me if it will do

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 10

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
doesn’t the screen take away like a percentage of the UVB rays though? and i threw away the box cause i’m a completely idiot. will it say it on the bulb itself ? i set it up like this for now tell me if it will do
Yes the screen will cut out approx 30% of the rays - T 8's are not strong enough to go thru screen so it looks like there is no screen blocking the UVB correct and it looks good - I would move the basking bulb dome over towards the middle of the log over it - what is the distance from the UVB to the log and what is the surface basking temps under that log? Did you get a probe thermometer? You might want to put the log going under the UVB and the bulb so its kitty wampus -- I cant tell if there is a piece of decor under the basking bulb if there is leave as is - your good

kingkayla

Hatchling Dragon
Yes the screen will cut out approx 30% of the rays - T 8's are not strong enough to go thru screen so it looks like there is no screen blocking the UVB correct and it looks good - I would move the basking bulb dome over towards the middle of the log over it - what is the distance from the UVB to the log and what is the surface basking temps under that log? Did you get a probe thermometer?
i have to go back out for thermometer as i had an emergency after i purchased the bulb and completely missed it. but i can say the distance from the UVB to the log is about 10 inches it looks about. the thermo i have in there now reads 95-100

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i have to go back out for thermometer as i had an emergency after i purchased the bulb and completely missed it. but i can say the distance from the UVB to the log is about 10 inches it looks about. the thermo i have in there now reads 95-100
Is it a stick on thermometer? If so its not giving surface basking temps- your getting ambient temps which is good- watch her behavior we need that UVB spot on -- you may have to get a little higher closer to 8 inches like putting something under the log to raise it -- but you need those digital probe thermometers 2

kingkayla

Hatchling Dragon
Is it a stick on thermometer? If so its not giving surface basking temps- your getting ambient temps which is good- watch her behavior we need that UVB spot on -- you may have to get a little higher closer to 8 inches like putting something under the log to raise it -- but you need those digital probe thermometers 2
i just woke up.. sorry i’m home sick. i will grab them tonight. i will watch her for now to see about her eye.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i just woke up.. sorry i’m home sick. i will grab them tonight. i will watch her for now to see about her eye.
Yes watch her eye and her behavior - if shes sitting under the UVB etc - eating more more active etc

kingkayla

Hatchling Dragon
Yes watch her eye and her behavior - if shes sitting under the UVB etc - eating more more active etc
her eye is closed again but she is eating, pooped while i was sleeping, and definitely more active … do i give her a few days? i’m so nervous i’m sorry. and i also continue to shut these lights at night correct???

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
her eye is closed again but she is eating, pooped while i was sleeping, and definitely more active … do i give her a few days? i’m so nervous i’m sorry. and i also continue to shut these lights at night correct???
Yes no lights on at night -- photo period 12 hrs on 12 hrs off -- she should start responding to the UVB right away and it sounds like she has already --- but you MUST get your surface basking temps in order as well - this is going to help her adjust and acclimate to her tank and surroundings -- and w/ her eating -- the basking temps are what start digestion -- her poop should be dark formed and moist urate white formed and moist --- I am going to post some websites for you --
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale info its outdated and a great staple feeder
your going to need to get a digital probe hygrometer like this - it will need to be placed on the back center wall of the tank - humidity helps w/ shedding --- https://dubiaroaches.com/products/exo-terra-digital-hygrometer?_pos=1&_sid=ac857912b&_ss=r optimal humidity is 40-50% nothing under 20 and over 70%
the eye thing could be from shedding coming on --- keep watch on it - they often close one eye when basking- does she do this under her basking light?

kingkayla

Hatchling Dragon
Yes no lights on at night -- photo period 12 hrs on 12 hrs off -- she should start responding to the UVB right away and it sounds like she has already --- but you MUST get your surface basking temps in order as well - this is going to help her adjust and acclimate to her tank and surroundings -- and w/ her eating -- the basking temps are what start digestion -- her poop should be dark formed and moist urate white formed and moist --- I am going to post some websites for you --
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale info its outdated and a great staple feeder
your going to need to get a digital probe hygrometer like this - it will need to be placed on the back center wall of the tank - humidity helps w/ shedding --- https://dubiaroaches.com/products/exo-terra-digital-hygrometer?_pos=1&_sid=ac857912b&_ss=r optimal humidity is 40-50% nothing under 20 and over 70%
the eye thing could be from shedding coming on --- keep watch on it - they often close one eye when basking- does she do this under her basking light?
amazing. thank you. yes she does and she does open it but it didn’t look normal lol and she closed it consistently so that’s when i read up on it and reached out

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
amazing. thank you. yes she does and she does open it but it didn’t look normal lol and she closed it consistently so that’s when i read up on it and reached out
Ok well just watch it if it starts to really swell get gunky stuff then we need to explore why this is happening - eyes shed and will swell- what substrate are you using?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok well just watch it if it starts to really swell get gunky stuff then we need to explore why this is happening - eyes shed and will swell- what substrate are you using?
Never mind you have a sand mat- that's going to be a pain I would recommend getting some textured NON adhesive shelf liner for your next tank-- nothing w/ grooves etc so it's harder to clean- the mat from zen is really nice - are you giving calcium D 3 and a vitamin w beta carotene?

kingkayla

Hatchling Dragon
Never mind you have a sand mat- that's going to be a pain I would recommend getting some textured NON adhesive shelf liner for your next tank-- nothing w/ grooves etc so it's harder to clean- the mat from zen is really nice - are you giving calcium D 3 and a vitamin w beta carotene?
it came with calcium but i think it says no D3. do you have a recommendation on what one to get for her? and this i just shake with her crickets/worms right ?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
it came with calcium but i think it says no D3. do you have a recommendation on what one to get for her? and this i just shake with her crickets/worms right ?
Just the crickets lightly coated w D3 5 x per week ONE time per day - she should be offered salads and main staple in the morning and feed second feeding of cricktes in the afternoon but do not dust them then -- then the vitamins w/ beta carotene ONE time per feeding 2 x per week lightly coated on the crickets - I would get her off the crickets and feed dubia roaches --- www.dubiaroaches.com on that site you can find the supplements or any pet store I recommend on line its going to be cheaper than the pet stores -
https://www.pangeareptile.com/collections/dietary-supplements/products/zoo-med-reptivite
https://www.pangeareptile.com/collections/dietary-supplements/products/zoo-med-repti-calcium-with-d3
I recommend a cloth or fleece hammock if you get one - NO grass or green mesh ones they cause nail injuries and sprained legs
you can look on www.etsy.com search bearded dragons

kingkayla

Hatchling Dragon
Just the crickets lightly coated w D3 5 x per week ONE time per day - she should be offered salads and main staple in the morning and feed second feeding of cricktes in the afternoon but do not dust them then -- then the vitamins w/ beta carotene ONE time per feeding 2 x per week lightly coated on the crickets - I would get her off the crickets and feed dubia roaches --- www.dubiaroaches.com on that site you can find the supplements or any pet store I recommend on line its going to be cheaper than the pet stores -
https://www.pangeareptile.com/collections/dietary-supplements/products/zoo-med-reptivite
https://www.pangeareptile.com/collections/dietary-supplements/products/zoo-med-repti-calcium-with-d3
I recommend a cloth or fleece hammock if you get one - NO grass or green mesh ones they cause nail injuries and sprained legs
you can look on www.etsy.com search bearded dragons
great… unfortunately i’m out of money until next week.. i’m attaching a photo of what i have. i’m going to try to get the D3 tomorrow.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You will need that when she turns approx 1 year old--

Latest posts