• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

new to this!

kingkayla

Hatchling Dragon
hello! i just got my first baby beardie about 3 days ago. set everything up, she has been fine. she has been great actually. eating, bonding with me, took a bath, etc. fast forward to last night after her warm soak, she fell asleep on me, so i let her relax until i got tired then carefully placed her in her tank (lights were off at this point because i read it needs to be dark and a cooler temp. around 70-75 F) and she remained asleep through the night. as of this morning she has one eye shut. when i lift her or feed her she opens it. but when she is in the tank under the basking light, one eyes is shut. i will attach a photo for reference. please help with a remedy as this is extremely important to me.

Attachments

• IMG_7241.jpeg
    IMG_7241.jpeg
    1,017.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7243.jpeg
    IMG_7243.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 22

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
hello! i just got my first baby beardie about 3 days ago. set everything up, she has been fine. she has been great actually. eating, bonding with me, took a bath, etc. fast forward to last night after her warm soak, she fell asleep on me, so i let her relax until i got tired then carefully placed her in her tank (lights were off at this point because i read it needs to be dark and a cooler temp. around 70-75 F) and she remained asleep through the night. as of this morning she has one eye shut. when i lift her or feed her she opens it. but when she is in the tank under the basking light, one eyes is shut. i will attach a photo for reference. please help with a remedy as this is extremely important to me.
They often shut one eye or both when basking but certain basking bulbs and uvb's along w/ mvb's can cause eye issues- tell me what basking bulb your using brand ? No off white yellowish or daytime bulbs please - No coils for uvb they are inadequate and surface basking temps should be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer-

kingkayla

Hatchling Dragon
They often shut one eye or both when basking but certain basking bulbs and uvb's along w/ mvb's can cause eye issues- tell me what basking bulb your using brand ? No off white yellowish or daytime bulbs please - No coils for uvb they are inadequate and surface basking temps should be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer-
i’m going to be honest, it’s the basking bulb i got in the juvenile starter kit… i’m not too sure. i don’t wanna harm my new baby.. and her eye was like this as soon as she woke up i believe.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i’m going to be honest, it’s the basking bulb i got in the juvenile starter kit… i’m not too sure. i don’t wanna harm my new baby.. and her eye was like this as soon as she woke up i believe.
What brand? You need to get your tank up to par or your baby will not survive- I have links for all you need to get it correct if you want them please ask- do not listen to the pet store people they do not know what they are talking about and will only sell you things you don't need

kingkayla

Hatchling Dragon
What brand? You need to get your tank up to par or your baby will not survive- I have links for all you need to get it correct if you want them please ask- do not listen to the pet store people they do not know what they are talking about and will only sell you things you don't need
It’s the zoo med juvenile started kit. Please give me all info/links to the Correct products so I can obtain them immediately. I will literally never forgive myself I already love her so much.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It’s the zoo med juvenile started kit. Please give me all info/links to the Correct products so I can obtain them immediately. I will literally never forgive myself I already love her so much.
Ok I will post everything you need tomorrow morning- can you post pics of the box you got "kit"

kingkayla

Hatchling Dragon
Ok I will post everything you need tomorrow morning- can you post pics of the box you got "kit
Ok I will post everything you need tomorrow morning- can you post pics of the box you got "kit"
i was planning on getting her something bigger within the next two weeks. This is what I have now. I feel horrible I really appreciate your help.

Attachments

• 39651C6F-BF31-437F-8694-130BAD079EE6.png
    39651C6F-BF31-437F-8694-130BAD079EE6.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 20

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i was planning on getting her something bigger within the next two weeks. This is what I have now. I feel horrible I really appreciate your help.
Ok I am on my phone tomorrow I will get a better look of the tank so I can see what you need to replace- for one that tank should not even be sold it's way too small - optimal tank size for a adult dragon is a 4x2x2 120 gallon - at 3 - 4 months she can go into that -- I will post all info for you in the morning - most people start out w/ a 20 or 40 gallon - 20's are even to small as a dragon will out grow that by 5-6 months

kingkayla

Hatchling Dragon
Ok I am on my phone tomorrow I will get a better look of the tank so I can see what you need to replace- for one that tank should not even be sold it's way too small - optimal tank size for a adult dragon is a 4x2x2 120 gallon - at 3 - 4 months she can go into that -- I will post all info for you in the morning - most people start out w/ a 20 or 40 gallon - 20's are even to small as a dragon will out grow that by 5-6 months
And what do you think about her eye?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
And what do you think about her eye?
It could be shed coming on - but I need to see the brand of the basking bulb - I am thinking that bulb is fine but the uvb coil is not good- I will look tomorrow on my computer and go from there

kingkayla

Hatchling Dragon
It could be shed coming on - but I need to see the brand of the basking bulb - I am thinking that bulb is fine but the uvb coil is not good- I will look tomorrow on my computer and go from there
Thank you so much please let me know.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
good morning! as of this morning, she hasn’t opened her one eye at all.
Ok I will get this stuff posted for you --- please shut the coil UVB off -- you need to get your UVB replaced asap -
you will want a 24" fixture so what ever tank you get it will go into it except for a 20 gallon it will need to be placed on top w/ NO screen I advise not to get a 20 gallon but a 4x2x2 or 120 gallon tank - your going to need to go to that size anyway so let me know what you decide I can post websites for you to get one - you want 2 of these one on the cool side one on the basking side
UVB
24" fixture Zoo Med this comes w/ a 5.0 bulb use it one the tank you have now - it will need to be unobstructed w/a basking decor directly under it 6-8 inches - when you upgrade to the larger tank you will need to get the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb - I recommend this one since your using such a small tank -
22" https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-100-uvb-high-output-bulbs?variant=40630
if you get a bigger tank right away then you can get one of these
24" Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb 24 watt found at Pet Smart
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...v-b-kit-65058.html?cgid=500114&fmethod=Browse
or this one
Sunblaster Nano Tech you will need to change the bulb out to the Reptisun bulb posted above
24" or 2 ft fixture
https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster-nanotech-t5-ho-fixture-with-6400k-lamp.html
what are you using for substrate? NO sand or loose stuff- babies lick everything- let me know about the tanks and I will get websites posted for you - when you get the UVB replaced let me know but for now shut the UVB off and keep a eye on her eye - if it starts to get worse let me know - if its shed it may swell which is normal but we need to figure out if its the bulb or actually shed - the basking bulb on the pic looks to be a solid clear bright white bulb which is what you want --- I cant read the writing on the box its too blury

kingkayla

Hatchling Dragon
Ok I will get this stuff posted for you --- please shut the coil UVB off -- you need to get your UVB replaced asap -
you will want a 24" fixture so what ever tank you get it will go into it except for a 20 gallon it will need to be placed on top w/ NO screen I advise not to get a 20 gallon but a 4x2x2 or 120 gallon tank - your going to need to go to that size anyway so let me know what you decide I can post websites for you to get one - you want 2 of these one on the cool side one on the basking side
UVB
24" fixture Zoo Med this comes w/ a 5.0 bulb use it one the tank you have now - it will need to be unobstructed w/a basking decor directly under it 6-8 inches - when you upgrade to the larger tank you will need to get the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb - I recommend this one since your using such a small tank -
22" https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-100-uvb-high-output-bulbs?variant=40630
if you get a bigger tank right away then you can get one of these
24" Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb 24 watt found at Pet Smart
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...v-b-kit-65058.html?cgid=500114&fmethod=Browse
or this one
Sunblaster Nano Tech you will need to change the bulb out to the Reptisun bulb posted above
24" or 2 ft fixture
https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster-nanotech-t5-ho-fixture-with-6400k-lamp.html
what are you using for substrate? NO sand or loose stuff- babies lick everything- let me know about the tanks and I will get websites posted for you - when you get the UVB replaced let me know but for now shut the UVB off and keep a eye on her eye - if it starts to get worse let me know - if its shed it may swell which is normal but we need to figure out if its the bulb or actually shed - the basking bulb on the pic looks to be a solid clear bright white bulb which is what you want --- I cant read the writing on the box its too blury
this all helps… the UVB is NOT the basking bulb? right ? i’m sorry… it only came with two bulbs…
she has opened her eye since eating. and i’m definitely going to upgrade the tank within the next few days… so you suspect it’s from the UVB?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
this all helps… the UVB is NOT the basking bulb? right ? i’m sorry… it only came with two bulbs…
she has opened her eye since eating. and i’m definitely going to upgrade the tank within the next few days… so you suspect it’s from the UVB?
Ok you have two bulbs the one that is a spiral looking bulb in the dome is a UVB and they are NO good - shut it off - take it out just so its not on--- the solid clear bulb on the other side is the basking bulb - that one needs to be the correct wattage to keep your surface basking temps 105-110 -- those digital probe thermometers I posted links for get them those are a MUST -- you need to get the UVB long tube fixture asap --- she needs this to survive she wont w/ out it - the UVB helps her absorb / synthesize the calcium D3 she needs to ward of specifically MBD -- but it also helps w/ internal organs and skin / scale health -- do you want tank websites ?

kingkayla

Hatchling Dragon
Ok you have two bulbs the one that is a spiral looking bulb in the dome is a UVB and they are NO good - shut it off - take it out just so its not on--- the solid clear bulb on the other side is the basking bulb - that one needs to be the correct wattage to keep your surface basking temps 105-110 -- those digital probe thermometers I posted links for get them those are a MUST -- you need to get the UVB long tube fixture asap --- she needs this to survive she wont w/ out it - the UVB helps her absorb / synthesize the calcium D3 she needs to ward of specifically MBD -- but it also helps w/ internal organs and skin / scale health -- do you want tank websites ?
yes please. i’m going to get the UVB today.

kingkayla

Hatchling Dragon
i will also need advice and help on how to set this bulb up.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i will also need advice and help on how to set this bulb up.
Ok I need to know what your getting or get for the UVB then I will help
here are some links to the tanks
www.zenhabitats.com they have a nice mat that fits the 4x2x2 tank I have those as well as the tanks
www.dubiaroaches.com - I am not hot on the black - it seems dark -
www.symptonbsf.com - same they are black - this place has good BSFL they are great for babies and are a good staple feeder and salad lure - you would need a bowl similar to this one its a great salad bowl
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
https://www.diycages.com/products/c...ndo-with-t5ho-lighting?variant=41749449081011
https://apcages.com/collections/ap-signature-series-cage-line/products/apst12-48lx24dx24h
these offer glass or acrylic doors - I dont know of anyone that has this tank -
https://talkingserpents.com/ these you have choices as to where you want venting to go and partial screen - if you go w/ this one I can help you place the order where you want your venting and screen to go -

kingkayla

Hatchling Dragon
Ok I need to know what your getting or get for the UVB then I will help
here are some links to the tanks
www.zenhabitats.com they have a nice mat that fits the 4x2x2 tank I have those as well as the tanks
www.dubiaroaches.com - I am not hot on the black - it seems dark -
www.symptonbsf.com - same they are black - this place has good BSFL they are great for babies and are a good staple feeder and salad lure - you would need a bowl similar to this one its a great salad bowl
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
https://www.diycages.com/products/c...ndo-with-t5ho-lighting?variant=41749449081011
https://apcages.com/collections/ap-signature-series-cage-line/products/apst12-48lx24dx24h
these offer glass or acrylic doors - I dont know of anyone that has this tank -
https://talkingserpents.com/ these you have choices as to where you want venting to go and partial screen - if you go w/ this one I can help you place the order where you want your venting and screen to go -
okay.. i went out and purchased a temp UVB bulb 10.0 with a hood until i get the new tank then i will get new bulbs and hood for new tank i just don’t want to lose her… so i got this for now i’ll post a picture

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 15

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
okay.. i went out and purchased a temp UVB bulb 10.0 with a hood until i get the new tank then i will get new bulbs and hood for new tank i just don’t want to lose her… so i got this for now i’ll post a picture
Ok so take the UVB and place on one end of that tank I am going to post a pic of a 20 gallon I had for Blaze - you want the UVB w/ no cover over the bulb if there is a plastic one on the fixture and you want the UVB approx 6-8 inches directly over the basking decor 6-8 inches - on my 20 gallon I had the UVB going vertical over the center of the tank w/ the basking bulb clamped to the end - you can place the screen back on your tank w/ the UVB on one end and the basking bulb close to it but you MUST have the digital probes to get surface basking temps of 105-110 - can you tell me the wattage of the basking bulb - is it 50 or 75 watt?

Attachments

• IMG_20190914_084445.jpg
    IMG_20190914_084445.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 15

Latest posts