• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mushu the dragon

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Mushu is doing better, but he can be hand shy and easily spooked. Once he's out of his enclosure he settles right down. There is an age difference, but without knowing Ruth's age, I guesstimate it to be a year or more.

Slugs aren't really something to be afraid of, it's totally natural. And in a healthy dragon, it usually isn't problematic. 3 a season is normal, but up to 5 isn't unheard of. I find breeding to be overwhelming as well. Not only do you have to provide proper enclosures, but the feeding costs for multiple clutches of growing babies would be astronomical! You'd need a massive roach farm! Lol

I haven't tried feeding Ruth a pinky afterwards, though I have heard of it. I have a ton of frozen day old pinkies, but it sounds messy, very messy. A friend of ours gave pinkies to their aquatic turtles once..oh god...it was a blood bath. Did Wally make a mess of his?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Mushu appears to be a boy! The flashlight trick ended up not working. However, he does appear to have two bumps by his vent which I think may indicate that he's a boy. I'm not 100% positive, but a little more than I was before!
how did the flashlight test not work? did you shine it on the topside down thru base of tail as you hold it up and backwards a bit? But if a boy thats cool too I love having a boy and a girl they are soo different from eachother!! just watch out with them seeing eachother when Mushu gets older. lol the black beard is pretty impressive..

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I was told that the flash light method does not work before a certain age? Before I found this forum when I was trying to figure out what Spyras gender was, a few individuals told me that, and suggested I just look for two bumps until she was older. Not sure if that is true or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Mushu is doing better, but he can be hand shy and easily spooked. Once he's out of his enclosure he settles right down. There is an age difference, but without knowing Ruth's age, I guesstimate it to be a year or more.

Slugs aren't really something to be afraid of, it's totally natural. And in a healthy dragon, it usually isn't problematic. 3 a season is normal, but up to 5 isn't unheard of. I find breeding to be overwhelming as well. Not only do you have to provide proper enclosures, but the feeding costs for multiple clutches of growing babies would be astronomical! You'd need a massive roach farm! Lol

I haven't tried feeding Ruth a pinky afterwards, though I have heard of it. I have a ton of frozen day old pinkies, but it sounds messy, very messy. A friend of ours gave pinkies to their aquatic turtles once..oh god...it was a blood bath. Did Wally make a mess of his?

So you said not to be scared. Does this mean I can bother you in a year when Lacey starts the slug laying??? Lol

Omg I couldn't imagine all those babies and the live insects. You are right about the costs! Besides these guys are so over bred there are so many unwanted adults and babies I just can't do it. I've seen people breed their pets and only keep 1 egg out of the clutch. That, to me is awful.

We got him a live one. It was so small, it was about 1/4 of the size of Lacey so he was able to eat it in one bite. Tony said he thought it was too small but it was our very first one so how were we supposed to know what size to get. I didn't see anything from it, while he was eating it. He took it and chewed it up and swallowed it like it was a large dubia. It wasn't much bigger than a large dubia to be honest. I poked thru his poop every day that week just to make sure he was able to digest it and I did NOT see any pieces of it in his poop. Tony said it was too small to have hard bones. They were probably soft and easily digested.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

Do you have a laybin for Ruth? if so what do you use in it? I sure hope my Izzy doesn't lay any slugs...
I love my girl Izzy she is sooo laid back and a cuddle bug...She's a year and a half old ... Simon is such a boy!! lol active and a big eater!! he only wants to cuddle when it's close to bedtime. But I like my Izzy cuddles as she is much less spikie than Simon his back is really really rough lol he scratches up my neck when he tries to cuddle there.. lol

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I was told that the flash light method does not work before a certain age? Before I found this forum when I was trying to figure out what Spyras gender was, a few individuals told me that, and suggested I just look for two bumps until she was older. Not sure if that is true or not

It worked on both of mine when I got them and they were about 3/4 months old.. but if your careful and really look for the bumps they should be there even if they are slight.. but it should really be able to tell if it's a girl as her bump should be pretty clear.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It worked on both of mine when I got them and they were about 3/4 months old.. but if your careful and really look for the bumps they should be there even if they are slight.. but it should really be able to tell if it's a girl as her bump should be pretty clear.

Yeah it didn't make much sense to me when they said that. If I could visually see her bump above her vent why would it be to soon to see it with a flashlight? If anything I feel like it would be the other way around since the light shows you what's actually inside of the tail base. Who knows lol

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Do you have a laybin for Ruth? if so what do you use in it? I sure hope my Izzy doesn't lay any slugs...
I love my girl Izzy she is sooo laid back and a cuddle bug...She's a year and a half old ... Simon is such a boy!! lol active and a big eater!! he only wants to cuddle when it's close to bedtime. But I like my Izzy cuddles as she is much less spikie than Simon his back is really really rough lol he scratches up my neck when he tries to cuddle there.. lol
I used moist spagnum Moss, but didn't like how chilly it got. Vermiculite is pretty great, and it's cheap, just a bit messy. It's what we use with all of eggs where I work. I used the lay bin the first time. She got in it once, dug around, and wound up depositing her eggs all over the rest of her enclosure.

Not all females will lay slugs, but there's a good chance that they will, and you should plan accordingly. If it's something you don't want to deal with, you can always have them spayed, but it's a delicate surgery. Unless they have complications from the process, it's easier to just let them do their thing. If your dragon ever starts digging at the floor, you know a pile of eggs will be part of the near future.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
So you said not to be scared. Does this mean I can bother you in a year when Lacey starts the slug laying??? Lol

Omg I couldn't imagine all those babies and the live insects. You are right about the costs! Besides these guys are so over bred there are so many unwanted adults and babies I just can't do it. I've seen people breed their pets and only keep 1 egg out of the clutch. That, to me is awful.

We got him a live one. It was so small, it was about 1/4 of the size of Lacey so he was able to eat it in one bite. Tony said he thought it was too small but it was our very first one so how were we supposed to know what size to get. I didn't see anything from it, while he was eating it. He took it and chewed it up and swallowed it like it was a large dubia. It wasn't much bigger than a large dubia to be honest. I poked thru his poop every day that week just to make sure he was able to digest it and I did NOT see any pieces of it in his poop. Tony said it was too small to have hard bones. They were probably soft and easily digested.
You can definitely bug me in a year if she lays slugs. Maybe you'll get lucky and she won't, but if she does, I'll be happy to help put your mind at ease :) Since she won't be bred, you won't have to worry about incubation and a bunch of jumpy, hungry babies. If you ever notice lumps in her belly or spot digging behavior, let me know! I think there are some folks here who breed, I could be wrong, but helping each other through new obstacles is what we do!

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
You can definitely bug me in a year if she lays slugs. Maybe you'll get lucky and she won't, but if she does, I'll be happy to help put your mind at ease :) Since she won't be bred, you won't have to worry about incubation and a bunch of jumpy, hungry babies. If you ever notice lumps in her belly or spot digging behavior, let me know! I think there are some folks here who breed, I could be wrong, but helping each other through new obstacles is what we do!

Thank you! I appreciate your help. If I notice anything you will be the first one that will get a PM from me! Lol

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Little Mushu man is growing like a weed! He's in shed again, but this time he's decided to just she'd his legs and tail.

cd0f1a6e062f9ea5107f7a32e4ebb22b.jpg

6109014a15bfe230d8b61429319049ad.jpg

ed8929a5c21ddd483ae39ad16d1a9398.jpg

bd6c6ef8a1848c39ab05a827a32f5ed0.jpg

6d4b14808ec207cf5a88754f92982235.jpg

He looks so much bigger in his bath now!
3530db22889d38454a6c803fd5ba88e7.jpg

72f6dc7a40068d70dd3f20ad580821c3.jpg

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Little Mushu man is growing like a weed! He's in shed again, but this time he's decided to just she'd his legs and tail.

cd0f1a6e062f9ea5107f7a32e4ebb22b.jpg

6109014a15bfe230d8b61429319049ad.jpg

ed8929a5c21ddd483ae39ad16d1a9398.jpg

bd6c6ef8a1848c39ab05a827a32f5ed0.jpg

6d4b14808ec207cf5a88754f92982235.jpg

He looks so much bigger in his bath now!
3530db22889d38454a6c803fd5ba88e7.jpg

72f6dc7a40068d70dd3f20ad580821c3.jpg

Wow!!! He is growing like a weed!! He is sooooo adorable. I just want to hold him.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I didn't realize how much size he's put in until I went and looked back at old photos. It's only been two months since I brought my wee tiny guy home! [emoji33]

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I didn't realize how much size he's put in until I went and looked back at old photos. It's only been two months since I brought my wee tiny guy home! [emoji33]

They grow fast! [emoji4]

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
sooo cute!! Just wait until she's older and she shed's a toe here a foot there 1/2" tail here and so on until all done then it starts again.. lol

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
sooo cute!! Just wait until she's older and she shed's a toe here a foot there 1/2" tail here and so on until all done then it starts again.. lol
My Ruth just did that. She shed 2 feet, a back knee, and a few toes lol.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
It's interesting having a boy and a girl. There is a year between Dexter and Luci. She is very laid back and chill and he is very wild and crazy. Even though they've been in the same house and living in the same room, Dexter hasn't had any eggs (yet). I have a feeling though that Dolly is going to be the one that does. I have a weird feeling that she already laid eggs before we got her. I think that is the reason she was abandoned, she laid eggs and they freaked out and left her.

I would only feed a pinky to a female that needs the extra calcium. Even then I don't know if I would do it. There are other ways to build calcium back up. Hard boiled egg whites are a good option.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It's interesting having a boy and a girl. There is a year between Dexter and Luci. She is very laid back and chill and he is very wild and crazy. Even though they've been in the same house and living in the same room, Dexter hasn't had any eggs (yet). I have a feeling though that Dolly is going to be the one that does. I have a weird feeling that she already laid eggs before we got her. I think that is the reason she was abandoned, she laid eggs and they freaked out and left her.

I would only feed a pinky to a female that needs the extra calcium. Even then I don't know if I would do it. There are other ways to build calcium back up. Hard boiled egg whites are a good option.
Now there's a thought, egg whites never occurred to me. That would be easy enough to mix with her salad.

Having a boy and a girl will definitely be quite the experience. At least I won't have to worry about eggs with Mushu!

Ruth is pretty laid back, though she can be spunky. Mushu is quite the live wire, though I think it's largely due to his young age. He's still a jumpy and easily spooked baby, but he's getting calmer as he grows.

I think it's a bit ridiculous to abandon an animal just because they do something natural, like lay eggs. I think that may have been a big part of why Ruth was given up, especially coupled with her MBD. She's a high maintenance dragon because of her condition, but she's such a sweetheart, and is overflowing with personality. I can't imagine my life without her.

Latest posts