• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mushu the dragon

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Too cute!! looking really good.. yea it's a big world out there for our little ones.. my Simon is just now more comfy outside and he's 478gr!!! lol

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Too cute!! looking really good.. yea it's a big world out there for our little ones.. my Simon is just now more comfy outside and he's 478gr!!! lol

I've got Wally outside now and he's watching the cars go by.

Is there a limit of how long he should be outside? And if he's outside for "X" amount of hours then do I reduce the amount of time he's under the lights?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've got Wally outside now and he's watching the cars go by.

Is there a limit of how long he should be outside? And if he's outside for "X" amount of hours then do I reduce the amount of time he's under the lights?
not a set time to be outside I typically try to get them outside for at least 30min, I've had them outside for several hours... As long as it's not over 100F your good make sure you give shade and maybe their greens for moisture if they want.. You don't need to turn off the lights inside can't really get too much UVB

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
If you think about it, they would be outside for 12 to 14 hours in their natural habitat soaking up the rays. I worry more about not enough outside time. A bulb can never do what natural light can.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thank you both for the advice/help. I didn't want to hurt him with too much sun but Eavlynn you made complete sense about them being outside in the wild.

There are some days we don't get to go outside due to the weather either it's too hot or raining but when it's nice outside he's outside a lot.

I have a 20 gallon long tank with a tree to perch on and a hide to go in if he gets TOO hot.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you both for the advice/help. I didn't want to hurt him with too much sun but Eavlynn you made complete sense about them being outside in the wild.

There are some days we don't get to go outside due to the weather either it's too hot or raining but when it's nice outside he's outside a lot.

I have a 20 gallon long tank with a tree to perch on and a hide to go in if he gets TOO hot.
be very careful if he is in the 20 gal in the sun it 1 doesn't penetrate glass well 2 it will get super hot/humid in there.. I went to walgreens and got 2 zippered food tent covers for picnics that work great!!! some others have those zippered laundry mesh containers that also work.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
be very careful if he is in the 20 gal in the sun it 1 doesn't penetrate glass well 2 it will get super hot/humid in there.. I went to walgreens and got 2 zippered food tent covers for picnics that work great!!! some others have those zippered laundry mesh containers that also work.

I did buy one of those mesh laundry baskets but mine has holes in it and he climbed right out. Scared me to death.

The lid is a wire mesh lid and I'm constantly spraying him and/or giving him water.

Thank you for the advice. Going to keep looking for a more appropriate outside enclosure.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I have a long shallow rubbermaid that I take my kiddos out in. Mushu isn't big enough to get out...yet. Ruth is an adult, but isn't strong enough or articulated enough to get out. Once Mushu gets bigger, I'm thinking of letting him run around on a harness with a leash.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I did buy one of those mesh laundry baskets but mine has holes in it and he climbed right out. Scared me to death.

The lid is a wire mesh lid and I'm constantly spraying him and/or giving him water.

Thank you for the advice. Going to keep looking for a more appropriate outside enclosure.
uploadfromtaptalk1471638792022.jpg
this is what i use

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a long shallow rubbermaid that I take my kiddos out in. Mushu isn't big enough to get out...yet. Ruth is an adult, but isn't strong enough or articulated enough to get out. Once Mushu gets bigger, I'm thinking of letting him run around on a harness with a leash.
just watch that they don't eat things they shouldn't

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yea they were 10 bucks...you may want to look soon as it might be a seasonal thing...

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Definitely. I let Ruth in the grass once and it took less than a second for her to decide she should try and eat some of it.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Mushu appears to be a boy! The flashlight trick ended up not working. However, he does appear to have two bumps by his vent which I think may indicate that he's a boy. I'm not 100% positive, but a little more than I was before!

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Mushu appears to be a boy! The flashlight trick ended up not working. However, he does appear to have two bumps by his vent which I think may indicate that he's a boy. I'm not 100% positive, but a little more than I was before!

Congrats!! It's a boy!! Mushu is a boy, woo hoo!!! I'm happy for you. Now you have a boy and a girl!!

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran

Yay! Congrats to you. If it helps any I have a female and you will not see anything that resembles a hemipenis on them. So if you are seeing two bumps (even slightly) you probably have a boy :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Congrats!! It's a boy!! Mushu is a boy, woo hoo!!! I'm happy for you. Now you have a boy and a girl!!
That's how I felt when I saw two bumps! I'm kind of glad he's a boy. I love my sweetheart, Ruth, but constant clutches of slugs do not make it easy to keep her healthy. Having a boy will be neat. I get to experience both ends of the spectrum :)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
That's how I felt when I saw two bumps! I'm kind of glad he's a boy. I love my sweetheart, Ruth, but constant clutches of slugs do not make it easy to keep her healthy. Having a boy will be neat. I get to experience both ends of the spectrum :)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I was going to say something like that but I didn't know how you felt. So you do feel like me! I live my Wally, he is my everything. But it's nice to have a girl to experience both of them like you said. Right now the 14 week age difference is massive. He's so laid back and passive where she is high strung and scared of the hands.

You have a big age difference too, right? Have you noticed a difference in their personalities or is the age difference? For me it's the age difference as she's only 33 days old.

I'm actually scared of the slugs. I'm not going to breed these guys as I can barely afford them let alone babies! I've heard they can lay up to 5 clutches at a time! Ugh…… this means I've got to get a bigger enclosure than Wally's.

Do you feed Ruth a pinky after she lays the slugs? I've heard that's good for them as the eggs take all their calcium.

Wally had his first pinky a month ago. We got it at the reptile show. Next Sunday is the reptile show here in Cincinnati and we are thinking of getting him another one. It cried the entire way home. Ewwww

Latest posts