• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mushu the dragon

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
We were talking to this guy that runs a reptile store we go to and I was telling him how she has an odd body shape, she holds all her weight in her lower belly. He asked if she was pear shaped and I said she was and he told me that most that dragons that he knows that have laid eggs are pear shaped like that. I thought that was interesting, not sure how true that is.

I'm glad that Ruth is a sweetheart given what she's been through. That's how Dolly is, she was abandoned but from day one she has been so trustful and loving. Almost like she knows she's in good hands :)

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
They get to be pear shaped towards the end of the cycle before they lay eggs. The first time Ruth laid, she had a pear shape. The second time I had no idea. She started digging behavior and within a week was laying slugs all over her enclosure. She started digging again, and is holding a bit more weight in her lower half, but doesn't feel lumpy at all. I have a feeling she may lay again, but I'm not totally sure because her belly feels totally normal. Have you noticed any digging behavior with your girl?

I'm surprised that Ruth is as loving and trusting as she is. Beardies are amazing little animals. I think they are incredibly intelligent. They know when they are in a good home with people that love them. And they know how to wrap us around their little fingers/toes :)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's interesting having a boy and a girl. There is a year between Dexter and Luci. She is very laid back and chill and he is very wild and crazy. Even though they've been in the same house and living in the same room, Dexter hasn't had any eggs (yet). I have a feeling though that Dolly is going to be the one that does. I have a weird feeling that she already laid eggs before we got her. I think that is the reason she was abandoned, she laid eggs and they freaked out and left her.

I would only feed a pinky to a female that needs the extra calcium. Even then I don't know if I would do it. There are other ways to build calcium back up. Hard boiled egg whites are a good option.
Oh yea I love having a boy and a girl for sure they are soo different than eachother :) Not only is Izzy my cuddle bug she's smoother, daintier and a strong even keel girl... Simon is very very poky rough, only cuddles at night time, much bigger length and weight wise, very outgoing yet shy and weary, and a great eater!
Izzy hasn't laid any either (yet) I hope she doesn't but it is what it is not much I can do lol I also agree not sure I would do pinkies just other options that are available.. That's a shame if that's what they did PatsyB :( some people really do suck! But super glad she has you 2 and a loving home to show her what it's like to be loved and cared for as she sure wasn't..

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We were talking to this guy that runs a reptile store we go to and I was telling him how she has an odd body shape, she holds all her weight in her lower belly. He asked if she was pear shaped and I said she was and he told me that most that dragons that he knows that have laid eggs are pear shaped like that. I thought that was interesting, not sure how true that is.

I'm glad that Ruth is a sweetheart given what she's been through. That's how Dolly is, she was abandoned but from day one she has been so trustful and loving. Almost like she knows she's in good hands :)
Well that would be interesting on the pear shaped odds and egg laying... Izzy is also shaped this way......hmmmm I guess time will tell huh :)
They know when they have it good and have loving owners that dout over them..

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They get to be pear shaped towards the end of the cycle before they lay eggs. The first time Ruth laid, she had a pear shape. The second time I had no idea. She started digging behavior and within a week was laying slugs all over her enclosure. She started digging again, and is holding a bit more weight in her lower half, but doesn't feel lumpy at all. I have a feeling she may lay again, but I'm not totally sure because her belly feels totally normal. Have you noticed any digging behavior with your girl?

I'm surprised that Ruth is as loving and trusting as she is. Beardies are amazing little animals. I think they are incredibly intelligent. They know when they are in a good home with people that love them. And they know how to wrap us around their little fingers/toes :)

It's amazing how smart they are that's for sure and like many of us I really don't know what I would do without them!!

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
With Mushu's current growth rate, I'm gathering materials for a 4x2x2 enclosure build. By next weekend he should have a new home. I'd like to paint it, but don't know how to make it reptile safe. What paints or sealants have any of you used for the interior of your dragon's enclosure?

After mushu is moved, Ruth will go into his 40 gallon while I remodel her enclosure. Both of the kids are in for a home makeover :)

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Mushu is shedding nonstop now. I don't think there's been a single day in the past month or more that some part of him hasn't been in shed haha.

During cage cleaning, Mushu discovered he could climb up my ponytail and onto my head for a better view of the terrain. In the background, you can see some of the organized chaos of the reptile sanctuary.
95b1af69623ee6d6f1d077889a855358.jpg

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
he's a growing boy [emoji4] his skins just trying to keep up lol.
He's like "look what I can do mom, the view is amazing."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
We've been working on Mushu's enclosure for what feels like forever, and we've finally gotten our butts in gear! Two days of hard work have gotten us to this point :) just a few more modifications and decorations and he'll be moving in!

f7f9c6012779e046b9dee395dafd3767.jpg

362cdc663b0a384e6efc2753af36eba2.jpg

655fa10bc788ff2c147669ce6df8d59a.jpg

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
This looks great! Mushu is going to be thrilled:)
I love how you went with the screen on the top in just a small section. It still looks nice and will be an easy location for a basking light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Mushu is all moved in :) and very confused.

7d84dba545500b051bd4c544d04817c7.jpg

Checking things out
98acbcd4d654d74afc6ca80c4a4a2a6c.jpg

59716f1c15bf2d81423269f9971dca0a.jpg

99824f028155443a06774d8a2d00a873.jpg

f9738ff32e98943737c889e95e6c64d4.jpg

Okay, I've seen it all, it's time for roaches.
ca6b393ab9f8333646c45e7710259ad5.jpg

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Mushu seems quite fond of his new home! It also seems like he's hitting beardie puberty. I knew this day was approaching. He's been perched in his enclosure with a beard blacker than coal when anyone, or anything (cats) walk by. When I try to take the little dude out he jumps off my hand, climbs to an elevated area, and head bobs as if to say "this is my land, and I shall not be taken from it!". I don't think he can see Ruth from his enclosure. I put his curtain up and that seems to have calmed him down for the time being.

I love these curtains! And I have a small matching curtain to cover the top and side vent after the lights go out :)
2a50c2e6cdcc470a27b33331b313c30a.jpg

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It looks like my sweet little boy is growing up and going into puberty. He would rather head bob at me when I try to take him out, than cuddle with his mama. Once I get him out, he calms down, but doesn't enjoy getting showers of love and jumps back into his fancy new home as soon as he's able. I miss my little cuddle bug :( but I know he'll get over this eventually. He isn't biting things or showing attempts at mating behavior. Just giving me lots of attitude. I still love him to bits!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
lol yea they do that....he will calm down some I'm sure.. Simon only likes to cuddle close to bedtime other than that he want's to check things out like he's got things to do... lol

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Just a question, did you seal the wood with anything? If it's not sealed with something, changes in humidity can hurt the wood and with it not sealed it's going to be hard to sanitize the tank and clean poop.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
PatsyB: It's painted with 2 coats of a zero VOC semi gloss paint that's supposed to be scrubbable, but that's all I did.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Mushu has finally calmed down. I moved him to a different room that I can block off from the cats and he seems much happier now. I can finally have some cuddles with my little dude :)

acbd6efacceb84f60ec7f660f6cc07c0.jpg

2466e5b52a06fcd94025fe2b803fda4d.jpg

60be807b97b5e1991dc8d2f20411ceb5.jpg

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I guess he couldn't decide between his pillow bed and the tree, so he decided to use them both!

fac4f269a8c248680e9e5bfaff740e5f.jpg

Mushu has been growing like a weed. He's a big ol mama's boy :) I picked up a red runner roach colony to help keep up with his appetite! This guy was putting a big dent in my dubia colony haha. Anything to keep my lovely children happy and well fed.

1fdd5c73f2451fd26fb53764243e64a1.jpg

e342651a21ac888c2e01211d744d06a3.jpg