• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

10 month old bearded dragon possible kidney failure

lynnmburke83

Hatchling Dragon
Took Luna back to the vet today for xrays because her uric acid levels were stable but still elevated at the last blood draw. She does not have gout but some type of renal issue. Vet suggested a biopsy but also suggested that since she seems to be doing better to keep doing what I'm doing and wait 3 months and recheck her bloodwork again. Her white blood cell count is back to normal after finishing antibiotics and her parasites are gone. Do you think her uric acid levels could have been elevated due to those issues? She was also getting calcium with d3 daily which apparently was incorrect information from the exotic pet store I purchased her from. So I'm changing that to once a week(calcium without d3 daily)and cutting back her protein intake. I'm really trying to do everything I can to help her and any advice is greatly appreciated. Vet said to also get her direct sunlight 15 min 3 times a week. Will the tart cherry juice help with the Uric acid levels even though she doesn't seem to have gout?

lynnmburke83

Hatchling Dragon
@Drache613 I took Luna back to the vet on Wednesday. She has been on Allopurinol for 2 weeks and her uric acid levels went from above 50 originally to 25 and now they are at 1.5. Can she safely be taken off the Allopurinol now? I'm waiting for the vet to get back to me regarding this. I need your input.

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello!

We have been messaging on texting but decided to find your thread here & respond here too. I feel
that simply due to the fact her uric acid levels were so elevated for a bit, she should remain on the
Allopurinol for a little while to help offset any potential kidney damage that may have occurred.
That seems like a dramatic drop so quickly, are they sure that they read that in the testing correctly?

Tracie

lynnmburke83

Hatchling Dragon
Hello!

We have been messaging on texting but decided to find your thread here & respond here too. I feel
that simply due to the fact her uric acid levels were so elevated for a bit, she should remain on the
Allopurinol for a little while to help offset any potential kidney damage that may have occurred.
That seems like a dramatic drop so quickly, are they sure that they read that in the testing correctly?

Tracie
yes. I have all print outs of her bloodwork.

lynnmburke83

Hatchling Dragon
Hello!

Tracie
Started out above 50 in October. Started syringe feeding and treated for parasites and dehydration. Tested again Early November and was at 25. Started iv therapy for hydration and allopurinol a few weeks later and she was on it for exactly 2 weeks and 2 days and we retested and uric acid was at 1.7. Attached print out of last blood draw.

Attachments

• 20231215_141148.jpg
    20231215_141148.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8

lynnmburke83

Hatchling Dragon
Hello!

Tracie
This is what vet is recommending as well

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231215-141759_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20231215-141759_Messages.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 8

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

I would look for a formula that doesn't have corn oil in it because that would be genetically modified oil
unless otherwise stated. Coconut oil would be better.
How are things with your girl today?

Tracie

lynnmburke83

Hatchling Dragon
This is what vet is recommending as well

Hello,

I would look for a formula that doesn't have corn oil in it because that would be genetically modified oil
unless otherwise stated. Coconut oil would be better.
How are things with your girl today?

Tracie
She's doing great. I've decreased the allopurinol to once a day and she's eating on her own and very active. I'm waiting to call the vet tomorrow to get exact instructions on what to do verbally instead of in text and to ask about everything she sent previously regarding the oil and vitamin a as beta carotene.

Latest posts