• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

10 month old bearded dragon possible kidney failure

lynnmburke83

Hatchling Dragon
Please post the current blood work - we need Tracie to respond to the questions your asking
I have sent her a PM

Attachments

• 20231020_102400.jpg
    20231020_102400.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

I did look over the blood test. Really the values for most everything are not too bad. The calcium is
a bit high, as well as the Uric acid.
Why are the prescribing Baytril (enroflaxin), the WBC's are a little out of range, but, at the moment I
would be more concerned with renal failure with the Uric acid levels being high. Giving antibiotics to
a reptile with compromised kidneys can cause irreversible kidney damage.
Are you giving extra oral fluids right now? The WBC levels could be elevated due to stress from the
compromised kidney function. I am not convinced she has an infection, but stress will wreak havoc
on their immune system.
Have they not prescribed Allopurinol for her uric acid levels yet?

Tracie

lynnmburke83

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

I did look over the blood test. Really the values for most everything are not too bad. The calcium is
Why are the prescribing Baytril (enroflaxin), the WBC's are a little out of range, but, at the moment I
would be more concerned with renal failure with the Uric acid levels being high. Giving antibiotics to
Are you giving extra oral fluids right now? The WBC levels could be elevated due to stress from the
compromised kidney function. I am not convinced she has an infection, but stress will wreak havoc
on their immune system.

Tracie
That's why I was afraid to give her the antibiotics because of the possible renal failure. If the uric acid levels are going down then that's a good sign right? I am giving her the tart cherry juice mixed with water by syringe orally daily. I'm only giving 1cc. Should I be giving more? I'm waiting for the vet to call me back. I picked up the antibiotics today and gave her one dose but don't know if I want to continue. She didn't offer the allopurinol but I was going to ask about it. Are the uric acid levels really high? She said she has an infection and that's why she needs antibiotics. She also has the parasites. Could that be causing everything to be off? I'm just trying to do what's best for her and I'm nervous about the antibiotics and her kidneys. What would you advise to do in this situation?

lynnmburke83

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

on their immune system.

Tracie
Would the allopurinol help if it's not already significant damage and the beginning stages of gout if that's what's even going on with her? I'm over $1000 in and I just want her to be better and don't want to do anything that will harm her more.

lynnmburke83

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

on their immune system.

Tracie
Should I stop giving calcium?

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

Which calcium are you giving currently & how much? Just to confirm, she does not have eggs developing,
correct?
Yes, Allopurinol will help to inhibit uric acid production which would aide in bringing down the levels.

Tracie

lynnmburke83

Hatchling Dragon
Luna seems to be doing better. She's finished her parasite medication and is almost done with antibiotics. She is starting to eat more and move around more. Waiting until she is done with antibiotics to take her back to the vet for more bloodwork.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
is this good to use with an additional uv strip light?
This one is ok- Mega Rays are better but the PS is ok -- make sure your UVB that your using is correctly placed for the screen on the tank -- this is important w/ the MVB as they are not as good w/ UVB as the regular one -- what brand and bulb are you going to use?

daydreamer881

Bearded Dragon Egg
I just wanted to say I am so sorry you are going thru all this. Our bearded dragon is 5 months old. We brought him in because he kept dragging his upper left leg.
Xray showed everything to be fine except his kidneys are slightly big. The tramadol did wonders because he got so much better. He also is taking a med for parasites. His second and last dose is for tomorrow. We are going back to the vet because his front arms are kinda swollen looking along with a couple of his toes. He stopped wanting to eat. He will only do dilute black cherry juice. He has another vet appt today at 5.
I just wanted to say this was so very helpful and I atleast have an idea what to discuss with my vet. Like blood work being done.
I really hope everything goes well with your beardie. It is so hard to see Storm sad, he just comes to me like he needs me to fix him. It is tough, just keep doing what your doing. It shows you are giving it your all to make her feel better. It is all we can do.

lynnmburke83

Hatchling Dragon
I just wanted to say I am so sorry you are going thru all this. Our bearded dragon is 5 months old. We brought him in because he kept dragging his upper left leg.
Xray showed everything to be fine except his kidneys are slightly big. The tramadol did wonders because he got so much better. He also is taking a med for parasites. His second and last dose is for tomorrow. We are going back to the vet because his front arms are kinda swollen looking along with a couple of his toes. He stopped wanting to eat. He will only do dilute black cherry juice. He has another vet appt today at 5.
I just wanted to say this was so very helpful and I atleast have an idea what to discuss with my vet. Like blood work being done.
I really hope everything goes well with your beardie. It is so hard to see Storm sad, he just comes to me like he needs me to fix him. It is tough, just keep doing what your doing. It shows you are giving it your all to make her feel better. It is all we can do.
Ask for liquid food to feed if he isn't eating. This has been a very long and stressful process but she seems to be doing better so that's all that matters.

daydreamer881

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ask for liquid food to feed if he isn't eating. This has been a very long and stressful process but she seems to be doing better so that's all that matters.
I agree. Thank you for the advise. I hate seeing him like this and I already spent $650, this visit is gonna be alot of money. Ill just have to work my days off. I had more in our beardier savin
I got back from the vet. I could only take so much out of my rent for October, i get paid tomorrow so I can replace it. The visit alone is like a 150, but I got the liquid food and Tramadol.
The Tramadol liquid, I am def getting scammed on price wise but I got a solution for that.
$835 in 2 weeks with no real answers.
I want to get the blood work done but they are gonna charge me another $150 on top of the blood work fee to do it. I cant dip in to my rent money to do it today I said. Makes no sence.
So yeah it is definitely stressful. I do like the people that work there, they are really nice and they dont push you on anything. It is one of those corporate chain buisness like everything eles. He is 5 months and they were like wow he is really stronge. I told them he is a fighter which is why I need him to live a good life.
I am babbling along, my apologies. Thank you for the advice. I hope I can help others going thru this as well.

lynnmburke83

Hatchling Dragon
I agree. Thank you for the advise. I hate seeing him like this and I already spent $650, this visit is gonna be alot of money. Ill just have to work my days off. I had more in our beardier savin

I got back from the vet. I could only take so much out of my rent for October, i get paid tomorrow so I can replace it. The visit alone is like a 150, but I got the liquid food and Tramadol.
The Tramadol liquid, I am def getting scammed on price wise but I got a solution for that.
$835 in 2 weeks with no real answers.
I want to get the blood work done but they are gonna charge me another $150 on top of the blood work fee to do it. I cant dip in to my rent money to do it today I said. Makes no sence.
So yeah it is definitely stressful. I do like the people that work there, they are really nice and they dont push you on anything. It is one of those corporate chain buisness like everything eles. He is 5 months and they were like wow he is really stronge. I told them he is a fighter which is why I need him to live a good life.
I am babbling along, my apologies. Thank you for the advice. I hope I can help others going thru this as well.
where do you live? That seems like a lot! I paid about $350 each vert visit with bloodwork and the medication was $50 with shipping for tramadol. Food was about $20. I've spent about $2000 in the past month. I have care credit and put the vet bills on that and the rest on another credit card.

daydreamer881

Bearded Dragon Egg
where do you live? That seems like a lot! I paid about $350 each vert visit with bloodwork and the medication was $50 with shipping for tramadol. Food was about $20. I've spent about $2000 in the past month. I have care credit and put the vet bills on that and the rest on another credit card.
I live in Massachusetts. My experience with beardies is so new. Duchess is 2 years old with no issues, just that she is spoiled.
Animals I know, reptiles are new to me.
How is your beardie doing. Is she eating?

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

Please be careful using the Tramadol. Some have been known to have a very bad reaction to this
medication. Remember, it is morphine based so use with caution.
How is your girl doing today?
The Powersuns are nice & bright. They have a pretty good overall UVB to UVI ratio so it is fine to use
in combination with a tube bulb also. Be sure the lighting is placed correctly at the necessary distance,
for safety.
Is your girl done with medications now?

Tracie

Latest posts