• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

10 month old bearded dragon possible kidney failure

lynnmburke83

Hatchling Dragon
Please post the current blood test you got on Monday- The critical care is good for dragons - flavor is up to you I usually feed no flavoring- I currently am feeding Blaze the critical care as he is vision impaired and does not see well - I am feeding him dubias and it is a struggle for him to catch those but he is managing -
Here is her bloodwork from Monday.

Attachments

• 20231007_130022.jpg
    20231007_130022.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12

lynnmburke83

Hatchling Dragon
Ok Tracie can help here
I gave Luna all her meds and syringe fed her. I put her outside on a towel in the sun and let her sit about 10 min. I then brought her back in and soaked her for 20 in an electrolyte soak then she pooped and I had to rinse her off and get her out. As I was cleaning everything up she walked a few feet. Hopefully this is a good sign she can recover from this.

lynnmburke83

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

How is your girl doing?
Did you need a powder or liquid probiotic, as I
have both?
If your girl was severely dehydrated, then, yes it
could have affected the uric acid levels. How long
has it been since her initial blood test? They are
going to do a recheck of her blood, correct to see
if her uric acid levels are dropping?

Tracie

Attachments

• 20231007_130022.jpg
    20231007_130022.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11

lynnmburke83

Hatchling Dragon
When and how should I sanitize her tank? During treatment? After? What can I safely use? Attached a picture of her tank to show what is in it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231008-183914_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231008-183914_Gallery.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 12

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

How is your girl doing today?
The uric acid is still high, is that a test from the initial blood draw? The calcium levels look very
good too, with a good calcium to phosphorus ratio. The potassium is good too.
I would limit her protein intake to some extent to help out her kidneys. Has her beard been
normal color also, or dark right now?
You can use a diluted bleach solution like 10 parts water to 1 part bleach, to clean out her tank
but be sure to let it air dry very well. You can also use a diluted vinegar solution also, which is
a little safer.

Tracie

lynnmburke83

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

The uric acid is still high, is that a test from the initial blood draw? The calcium levels look very
I would limit her protein intake to some extent to help out her kidneys. Has her beard been
You can use a diluted bleach solution like 10 parts water to 1 part bleach, to clean out her tank
but be sure to let it air dry very well. You can also use a diluted vinegar solution also, which is
a little safer.

Tracie
That was the initial blood work done a week ago. She has been crawling around more than she was. She is on tramadol and the parasite medication so maybe the pain meds are helping or she is just feeling a little better from everything I've been doing. idk Will bleach kill the parasites that she has?

lynnmburke83

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

a little safer.

Tracie
As far as her beard it's always dark I feel like. She was almost black when we first got her. Here is a picture of her the and now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231008-193011_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20231008-193011_Instagram.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Snapchat-830357168.jpg
    Snapchat-830357168.jpg
    677.4 KB · Views: 14

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

Wow, that is the same dragon? Good grief, those are
stark color variations. Where did you get her from?
How is she doing today?
I hope she is eating well right now. Be sure to keep
her a little warmer overnight to help boost her immune
system.
Let us know how things are going.

Tracie

lynnmburke83

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

Wow, that is the same dragon? Good grief, those are
stark color variations. Where did you get her from?
How is she doing today?
I hope she is eating well right now. Be sure to keep
her a little warmer overnight to help boost her immune
system.
Let us know how things are going.

Tracie
Yes same dragon. I got her from an exotic pet store in stuart FL. I read that it is hard to kill the parasites on surfaces. That bleach and vinegar won't kill what she has. Is that true? I'm just trying to make sure I'm doing b everything correctly. How do I keep her warmer over night? I keep the ac on 75 at night but turn all her lights off. I'm trying to clean an disinfect but an unsure. what is f10 cleaner and should I use that? Should I clean the tank daily? I'm going to use paper towels in the bottom instead of the carpet that is in there. She hasn't pooped in the enclosure in over a week. She has been pooping when I soak her. Thank you for all your advice so far.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes same dragon. I got her from an exotic pet store in stuart FL. I read that it is hard to kill the parasites on surfaces. That bleach and vinegar won't kill what she has. Is that true? I'm just trying to make sure I'm doing b everything correctly. How do I keep her warmer over night? I keep the ac on 75 at night but turn all her lights off. I'm trying to clean an disinfect but an unsure. what is f10 cleaner and should I use that? Should I clean the tank daily? I'm going to use paper towels in the bottom instead of the carpet that is in there. She hasn't pooped in the enclosure in over a week. She has been pooping when I soak her. Thank you for all your advice so far.
F10 is a vet disinfectant and is concentrated so you need to dilute w/ water - follow the instructions on the bottle - I use it in my two tanks and will kill pretty much everything- please take out the substrate and use paper towels for now - only leave a few basking decor pieces in the tank that are easy to clean that you can spray w/ the F10 - yes clean the tank every time she poops in the tank - if she doesnt poop in the tank I would still clean it w/ the F10 - it has no smell - but you want the floor and pieces dry before she goes back in the tank - the tank needs to sit w the F10 on the surfaces for 10 minutes - https://www.amazon.com/F10SC-Veteri...ywords=F10+disinfectant&qid=1696867856&sr=8-5
I was checking my other go to websites for the F10 and they are all sold out-- you tank should go to the house temp- check your temp gauge in the morning before you turn the lights on and it will tell you -- my temps in my 2 tanks go to the ambient temp of the house over night w/ in 5 degrees or so

lynnmburke83

Hatchling Dragon
F10 is a vet disinfectant and is concentrated so you need to dilute w/ water - follow the instructions on the bottle - I use it in my two tanks and will kill pretty much everything- please take out the substrate and use paper towels for now - only leave a few basking decor pieces in the tank that are easy to clean that you can spray w/ the F10 - yes clean the tank every time she poops in the tank - if she doesnt poop in the tank I would still clean it w/ the F10 - it has no smell - but you want the floor and pieces dry before she goes back in the tank - the tank needs to sit w the F10 on the surfaces for 10 minutes - https://www.amazon.com/F10SC-Veteri...ywords=F10+disinfectant&qid=1696867856&sr=8-5
I was checking my other go to websites for the F10 and they are all sold out-- you tank should go to the house temp- check your temp gauge in the morning before you turn the lights on and it will tell you -- my temps in my 2 tanks go to the ambient temp of the house over night w/ in 5 degrees or so
Can f10 be used on the wood in her tank? Is this the correct item to purchase? I found it on Amazon. How do I dilute it?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231009-130600_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20231009-130600_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    533.9 KB · Views: 9

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Can f10 be used on the wood in her tank? Is this the correct item to purchase? I found it on Amazon. How do I dilute it?
Yes that is it --- not sure about wood products I was looking for information regarding wood specifically and couldnt find anything-- it just says equipment- I can see if I can find someone who might know --- it needs to be diluted w/ water - you will need to read instructions make sure you save them - I keep mine in a spray bottle mixed along w/ a gallon milk jug already mixed as well - I spay my tanks every so often to clean up any poop residue on the floor mat of the tank --

lynnmburke83

Hatchling Dragon
Yes that is it --- not sure about wood products I was looking for information regarding wood specifically and couldnt find anything-- it just says equipment- I can see if I can find someone who might know --- it needs to be diluted w/ water - you will need to read instructions make sure you save them - I keep mine in a spray bottle mixed along w/ a gallon milk jug already mixed as well - I spay my tanks every so often to clean up any poop residue on the floor mat of the tank --
Ordered it and will clean everything tomorrow. Thank you. I'm waiting to hear back from the vet. She's back in town tomorrow.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ordered it and will clean everything tomorrow. Thank you. I'm waiting to hear back from the vet. She's back in town tomorrow.
Here is the response I got back from the person I reached out to and this is what they said
Sure. I use it on wood the same way as any other surface. It's harder to wipe off, but it can just be left to dry and is still effective and safe when diluted as recommended.

lynnmburke83

Hatchling Dragon
ok so bloodwork was redone Monday and the vet called tonight to let me know the uric acid levels went down from 50 to 25. white blood count is showing signs of infection and she wants to give antibiotics. Will the antibiotics harm her if she has kidney failure or gout? What type of infection could she have? Could the parasites cause an infection and mess with the white blood count? I'm trying to do everything to save her and I'm already $1000+ in. idk what else to do!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ok so bloodwork was redone Monday and the vet called tonight to let me know the uric acid levels went down from 50 to 25. white blood count is showing signs of infection and she wants to give antibiotics. Will the antibiotics harm her if she has kidney failure or gout? What type of infection could she have? Could the parasites cause an infection and mess with the white blood count? I'm trying to do everything to save her and I'm already $1000+ in. idk what else to do!
Please post the current blood work - we need Tracie to respond to the questions your asking
I have sent her a PM

Latest posts