• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

10 month old bearded dragon possible kidney failure

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The vet just called and said she is positive for parasites. They didn't say what kind but said they would explain it to me when I got there because it is an hour away and I have to rush before work to pick up her medicine. Will she recover from this?
Please get the test results and we can have Tracie look at them- they usually prescribe Albon and Panacur depending how what kind and how bad- Albon is a harsh med so its best to get the Probiotic like your were going to do - why do they want you to bring her in? Yes she will recover from this -- her appetite is going to be off and you will need to keep her hydrated - did you get the UVB set up as I posted earlier?

lynnmburke83

Hatchling Dragon
Please get the test results and we can have Tracie look at them- they usually prescribe Albon and Panacur depending how what kind and how bad- Albon is a harsh med so its best to get the Probiotic like your were going to do - why do they want you to bring her in? Yes she will recover from this -- her appetite is going to be off and you will need to keep her hydrated - did you get the UVB set up as I posted earlier?

Attachments

• 20231006_100916.jpg
    20231006_100916.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 10
  • 20231006_101007.jpg
    20231006_101007.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 11

lynnmburke83

Hatchling Dragon
I didn't have to bring her in. I just had to pick up medication. She is being syringe fed a formula the vet gave me. I got her the proper uvb set-up as well and it has been on her for 2 days now. Does she need a probiotic? The vet also gave pain medication but I'm reluctant to give that to her now knowing she has parasites and not for sure if she has gout. Idk what to do. Any advice on that?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I didn't have to bring her in. I just had to pick up medication. She is being syringe fed a formula the vet gave me. I got her the proper uvb set-up as well and it has been on her for 2 days now. Does she need a probiotic? The vet also gave pain medication but I'm reluctant to give that to her now knowing she has parasites and not for sure if she has gout. Idk what to do. Any advice on that?
Yes for the probiotic--- what did they put her on for meds and what is the dosage? What did they give you to feed her? Critical Care Omnivore / Herbivore? I am flagging the post to Tracie - she needs to look at your test results and advise

lynnmburke83

Hatchling Dragon
Yes for the probiotic--- what did they put her on for meds and what is the dosage? What did they give you to feed her? Critical Care Omnivore / Herbivore? I am flagging the post to Tracie - she needs to look at your test results and advise
what type of probiotic should I get? Can I use soy yogurt instead? I uploaded all documents from the vet and will upload what the vet gave me to feed her as soon as I get home.
what type of probiotic should I get? Can I use soy yogurt instead? I uploaded all documents from the vet and will upload what the vet gave me to feed her as soon as I get home.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This is what I am feeding her
Ok that is strictly bugs --- she needs less protein because of the uric acid levels w/ gout-- please get some herbivore -- those would be your greens

lynnmburke83

Hatchling Dragon
Did they test for uric acid levels?
The vet won't be back in until Tuesday so I'm going to reevaluate with her then. She's doing better than she was Monday when I took her in. How long should the medication for the parasites take to start seeing a difference in her?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The vet won't be back in until Tuesday so I'm going to reevaluate with her then. She's doing better than she was Monday when I took her in. How long should the medication for the parasites take to start seeing a difference in her?
Ok well how long was she prescribed for them and what did they put her on? I would not feed the omnivore just to be on the safe side - if she does have gout its going to make her worse - I would get her over on silk worms or BSFL NO dubia roaches - were you feeding those before - they are high in uric acid so its safe to stay away from those - I dont know exactly what is used for the protein but too much protein w/ high levels of uric acid is not good -- lets have Tracie address this -- are you feeding her salads -- she should start to feel better here by a week I would say - every dragon is different and depending how high the count was w/ the parasite

lynnmburke83

Hatchling Dragon
Ok well how long was she prescribed for them and what did they put her on? I would not feed the omnivore just to be on the safe side - if she does have gout its going to make her worse - I would get her over on silk worms or BSFL NO dubia roaches - were you feeding those before - they are high in uric acid so its safe to stay away from those - I dont know exactly what is used for the protein but too much protein w/ high levels of uric acid is not good -- lets have Tracie address this -- are you feeding her salads -- she should start to feel better here by a week I would say - every dragon is different and depending how high the count was w/ the parasite
She won't eat anything.
She won't eat any greens. I did buy some wax worms (that's all my pet store had besides mealworms and crickets) but she doesn't want to eat. She's eaten 3 since Monday. I uploaded which parasites and the treatment they are giving above as well. She mainly ate mealworms and crickets but like I said she doesn't really want to eat at all right now. She is moving around more and using her front legs a little better than she was when she first started showing signs of something being wrong. I'm uploading a picture. Is this what I can safely give her that you are recommending?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231006-142159_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231006-142159_Chrome.jpg
    766.9 KB · Views: 10

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She won't eat anything.

She won't eat any greens. I did buy some wax worms (that's all my pet store had besides mealworms and crickets) but she doesn't want to eat. She's eaten 3 since Monday. I uploaded which parasites and the treatment they are giving above as well. She mainly ate mealworms and crickets but like I said she doesn't really want to eat at all right now. She is moving around more and using her front legs a little better than she was when she first started showing signs of something being wrong. I'm uploading a picture. Is this what I can safely give her that you are recommending?
yes that is it---- please start getting your insects / worms on line they are cheaper and a safer bet on getting the food - a few winters ago we had pet stores completely out of insects- and people were really struggling getting the food they needed for them
www.dubiaroaches.com --- good place for hornworms
www.symtonbsf.com
www.reptilianarts.com nice silkworms
www.joshsfrogs.com they have butterworms only place I have found them- super worms
Wax worms are very fatty I would feed sparingly
How long has she been on the meds?

lynnmburke83

Hatchling Dragon
yes that is it---- please start getting your insects / worms on line they are cheaper and a safer bet on getting the food - a few winters ago we had pet stores completely out of insects- and people were really struggling getting the food they needed for them
www.symtonbsf.com
www.joshsfrogs.com they have butterworms only place I have found them- super worms
Thank you! She just started the medication for the parasites today. Is that critical care I uploaded safe for bearded dragons and does the flavor matter? I'm giving her 3ml of the omnivore would I do the same for the herbivore? The herbivore doesn't have much less protein in the ingredients that I saw. I'm just trying to do what is best for her and appreciate all the advice. ♡

lynnmburke83

Hatchling Dragon
www.symtonbsf.com
Which probiotic would you recommend? Can you send me a link for one please?

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

How is your girl doing?
Did you need a powder or liquid probiotic, as I
have both?
If your girl was severely dehydrated, then, yes it
could have affected the uric acid levels. How long
has it been since her initial blood test? They are
going to do a recheck of her blood, correct to see
if her uric acid levels are dropping?

Tracie

lynnmburke83

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

How is your girl doing?
Did you need a powder or liquid probiotic, as I
have both?
If your girl was severely dehydrated, then, yes it
could have affected the uric acid levels. How long
has it been since her initial blood test? They are
going to do a recheck of her blood, correct to see
if her uric acid levels are dropping?

Tracie
She is more alert but she still isn't moving around in her cage. Just moves a little to get comfortable. I took her to the vet on Monday the 2nd and that's when she had the blood work and fluids. I couldn't get a stool sample to them until Wednesday the 4th and just started her on the parasite medication yesterday. I have an appointment on the 16th but I'm not sure if the vet wants to change that further out since she has to repeat this medication in 3 weeks. She is out of town until Tuesday so I will call her and hopefully get more information then. I would prefer liquid because she's good with letting me syringe feed her.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She is more alert but she still isn't moving around in her cage. Just moves a little to get comfortable. I took her to the vet on Monday the 2nd and that's when she had the blood work and fluids. I couldn't get a stool sample to them until Wednesday the 4th and just started her on the parasite medication yesterday. I have an appointment on the 16th but I'm not sure if the vet wants to change that further out since she has to repeat this medication in 3 weeks. She is out of town until Tuesday so I will call her and hopefully get more information then. I would prefer liquid because she's good with letting me syringe feed her.
Please post the current blood test you got on Monday- The critical care is good for dragons - flavor is up to you I usually feed no flavoring- I currently am feeding Blaze the critical care as he is vision impaired and does not see well - I am feeding him dubias and it is a struggle for him to catch those but he is managing -

Latest posts