• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

UVB Reptisun

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Why does bulb have to be inside tank???
Glass blocks UVB rays, except for a special type of glass that allows them to pass through it. However, this kind of glass (forgot what it's called) is expensive and a tank with a glass top would be a death trap, because of the poor ventilation and it would trap too much heat.

Strong UVB lights can go on screen tops, but the screen filters out a lot of UVB. Wide-screened enclosures can have the UVB light on top.

The rays also get weaker the farther away they are from the bulb, so in order for a tall tank to get proper UVB levels, the light might need to be mounted inside.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
From what I have heard uvb Can be outside 9f the tank provided its not a glass lid as uvb can not pass through glass. So you should be fine.
Fixtures need to have a reflector on them --- the UVB rays are going all over that tank it needs the reflector so the rays are projected downward to the dragon --- next fixtures / hoods should be not on the back wall but directly above the basking decor for best UVB rays ---- here are some ways to hang the fixtures
3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire –long plastic zip ties----- potted plant wire hangers --- fishing line- I use these they work great they are like a Velcro strap you need to cut them in strips https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195
if the UVB is a T 5 bulb they can go on top of the screen BUT the screen needs to be a wide hole type NOT a fine mesh like a screen door --- distance and placement is crucial here

Patty56

Bearded Dragon Egg
Glass blocks UVB rays, except for a special type of glass that allows them to pass through it. However, this kind of glass (forgot what it's called) is expensive and a tank with a glass top would be a death trap, because of the poor ventilation and it would trap too much heat.

Strong UVB lights can go on screen tops, but the screen filters out a lot of UVB. Wide-screened enclosures can have the UVB light on top.

The rays also get weaker the farther away they are from the bulb, so in order for a tall tank to get proper UVB levels, the light might need to be mounted inside.
I have very wide and high tank
On top is 2 screens
Should i put it inside??

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
On top is 2 screens
Should i put it inside??
How tall is the tank? Basically
On top is 2 screens
Should i put it inside??
How tall is the tank? Basically it depends on the screen and you have 2 screens? It needs to go inside the tank if it's 24" tall for sure- distance needs to be 12-15 inches inside w/ decor directly underneath-

Patty56

Bearded Dragon Egg
How tall is the tank? Basically

How tall is the tank? Basically it depends on the screen and you have 2 screens? It needs to go inside the tank if it's 24" tall for sure- distance needs to be 12-15 inches inside w/ decor directly underneath-
Over his basking area??

Smithy

Hatchling Dragon
Hi,

I’ve heard a UVB tube needs to be inside of the bearded dragon tank.

How do I strap it (or whatever you wanna call it) in there?

My tank is opened from above FYI.
It is preferable, it not necessarily the case, take any plastic screens off the housing and place it ontop ur Bearded Dragons enclosure. For sealed units there is no choice but to install the globe inside or cut holes ontop. I found it pretty simple using scrap aluminium etc. Wire is ok as long as the Bearded Dragons get some uninterrupted sunlight. around 30 cm away or less. I place sticks in the enclosure. I have worked out eventually to construct the enclosed so the uva UVB lamps tubes aren't blocked by glass or thick screens.

Attachments

• 16099855797226694141817430293290.jpg
    16099855797226694141817430293290.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • 16099856247836582691919833738323.jpg
    16099856247836582691919833738323.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
  • 16099856533945189228331612484477.jpg
    16099856533945189228331612484477.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6

Clayton0520

Bearded Dragon Egg
All of this is great info but until you have a solameter and actually take some readings in your setup you are just guessing. I haven’t found any post that actually have UVI readings from a meter. I’m not saying they aren’t out there it’s just that I haven’t found them yet. Every lamp made has a little different index of refraction from the next meaning that you can take 2 identical UVB lamps and they will both read differently under the same condition. Like some have said earlier in this thread glass is a major reflector of UVB, it will let other UV rays through but it will reflect the ones you are looking for. Screen does reflect UVB as well but not completely this is where you really need a solameter. Your screen could reflect more or less than the next guy. Say you both have the same setup and one guys says “you need a 14% at 12” away because that’s what works for me“ so you do this and you burn your pet up with too much UVB (sunburn) or you give your pet MBD because your screen and lamp is a little different. Its a little bit of an investment but well worth the money because you know exactly what your UVI readings are in your setup all the time VS guessing.

Latest posts