• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

urgent!

lukas owens

Hatchling Dragon
ok, so I just got a new bearded dragon about a week ago, and he/she is a month old right now, I have been having a problem hand feeding and getting it to eat from a food bowl, it is shedding and being very motionless, the movement is not what worries me though, it seems like it never really does anything at all unless I pick it up and take it out of the cage. when I put mealworms in it's bowl, I count them so that I can tell if it is eating or not.
I am desperate for help because I feel like if it keeps this up, it could get sick.

it seems like it is not greyish, it has all it's color, is it healthy? do I need to add something to the cage? I really would like to know, I'm very worried for it's health
full

full

lukas owens

Hatchling Dragon
UPDATE! PLEASE HELP!
ok, so it has been a few hours since my last post, my bearded dragon has begun shaking his head rapidly as if he was shivering even though he is under his heat lamp I am still trying to feed him. he has begun hiding under the top branch of his tree decoration as if he does not want to bask, and when I pick him up he does not move his legs or anything except to hold on to my fingers, I am freaking out right now as I don't know if he is ok. also, a few days ago he was jumping off of his decoration into the side of the cage, is this ok? will it hurt him? I have no idea what to do right now.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Sorry your baby isn't doing so well. Babies are pretty delicate and they go through a relocation stress and it's good too leave them be for about a week or so without handling much. They may or may not eat much during this time. I do see 3 things that you should fix ASAP. One, mealworms are not good, especially for a baby. They have a hard shell that is not easy to digest and can cause impaction. Try feeding dubia or crickets. Two, the thermometer you have on the side of your tank is no good. It is only measuring the temperature of the glass and not the area where your bearded dragon is actually sitting. A baby that size needs a basking temp of 107 degrees to digest it's food. If it's not hot enough, that will also cause them to not want to eat. The third and most important thing is your light. I don't see a separate UVB light so I'm assuming that you are using a coil or compact bulb. Coil bulbs are bad all around and compact bulbs are only good for a very temporary situation. Try getting a tube style ReptiSun 10.0 bulb and fixture ASAP. I like the T5 size they penetrate the mesh on top of the tank and last longer than the T8 style but they can be a bit more expensive.

lukas owens

Hatchling Dragon
Sorry your baby isn't doing so well. Babies are pretty delicate and they go through a relocation stress and it's good too leave them be for about a week or so without handling much. They may or may not eat much during this time. I do see 3 things that you should fix ASAP. One, mealworms are not good, especially for a baby. They have a hard shell that is not easy to digest and can cause impaction. Try feeding dubia or crickets. Two, the thermometer you have on the side of your tank is no good. It is only measuring the temperature of the glass and not the area where your bearded dragon is actually sitting. A baby that size needs a basking temp of 107 degrees to digest it's food. If it's not hot enough, that will also cause them to not want to eat. The third and most important thing is your light. I don't see a separate UVB light so I'm assuming that you are using a coil or compact bulb. Coil bulbs are bad all around and compact bulbs are only good for a very temporary situation. Try getting a tube style ReptiSun 10.0 bulb and fixture ASAP. I like the T5 size they penetrate the mesh on top of the tank and last longer than the T8 style but they can be a bit more expensive.

ok, I have a reptisun 10.0 and then I have this heat lamp
picture.php

I actually don't know what kind of heat lamp I have and also, do you mean I need to split the two lights apart? I really don't know what I'm doing here as this is my first go at owning a beardie. the two lights are together, I don't know if that is good or bad, they are in one compact little two plug light holder that came with the cage from petsmart

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
In my signature line there is a link to general info and pictures of lighting, check it out when you can. Heat and UVB need to be separate. You need the ReptiSun10.0 bulb that looks like a long fluorescent bulb not the compact or coul that goes in a dome fixture.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes please check out our links under our comments you will find a ton of info to help guide you along with here on the forum.. Babies are tough as they are very fragile.. Hang in there

lukas owens

Hatchling Dragon
Yes please check out our links under our comments you will find a ton of info to help guide you along with here on the forum.. Babies are tough as they are very fragile.. Hang in there

ok so what about the head shaking? I read a very sad thread on another forum where a guy had almost the exact same situation except I don't have a coil (https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=136630), I think maybe I just need to figure out what heat lamp he has and try and get a better one, I really don't want the same situation, because his died at the end.
I feel like I also need to get two light holders so I can split the lights apart.
is this a critical situation?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's hard to say what is causing the head shaking, :( This is such a young baby baby did you get this little one from a pet store? or from a breeder? I think it would be important to have this little one seen by a reptile vet to make sure it's ok. Have you gotten a temp gun or digital probe to check the temps in the basking area, the cool area? If he's hiding from the heat it might be too hot? If he jumped and or fell at such a young age it's possible he hurt himself being that he's soo small.. It's also possible that this little one is going thru what we call failure to thrive some babies just don't make it for whatever reason... :(
Most have a basking bulb set up for the heat portion and then a separate UVB tube style (long bulb) like your reptisun and they should overlap some as they need both for digestion and proper vit absorption.
Are you able to get him to eat anything or drink anything? You may need to make a slurry blend up crickets or dubia roaches, calcium and some pedialyte (water for babies) and syringe feed him until he gets to eating on his own..

lukas owens

Hatchling Dragon
It's hard to say what is causing the head shaking, :( This is such a young baby baby did you get this little one from a pet store? or from a breeder? I think it would be important to have this little one seen by a reptile vet to make sure it's ok. Have you gotten a temp gun or digital probe to check the temps in the basking area, the cool area? If he's hiding from the heat it might be too hot? If he jumped and or fell at such a young age it's possible he hurt himself being that he's soo small.. It's also possible that this little one is going thru what we call failure to thrive some babies just don't make it for whatever reason... :(
Most have a basking bulb set up for the heat portion and then a separate UVB tube style (long bulb) like your reptisun and they should overlap some as they need both for digestion and proper vit absorption.
Are you able to get him to eat anything or drink anything? You may need to make a slurry blend up crickets or dubia roaches, calcium and some pedialyte (water for babies) and syringe feed him until he gets to eating on his own..

I have not been able to get him to et in a few days, yesterday he chased a cricket down and the just stopped right in the middle of the cage like he just gave up. we got him from petsmart. I'm very upset about that failure to thrive thing, if you read that thread to the end, that is the exact thing that killed him was "not thriving" I think i'll be able to take him to a vet before monday. I want to know any way I can make him pull through, I really don't care if we have to have him on critical care for a year. I am already very close to losing another pet because of old age, I don't want this little one to die on top of it.

Elders

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I have not been able to get him to et in a few days, yesterday he chased a cricket down and the just stopped right in the middle of the cage like he just gave up. we got him from petsmart. I'm very upset about that failure to thrive thing, if you read that thread to the end, that is the exact thing that killed him was "not thriving" I think i'll be able to take him to a vet before monday. I want to know any way I can make him pull through, I really don't care if we have to have him on critical care for a year. I am already very close to losing another pet because of old age, I don't want this little one to die on top of it.

It sounds like you are a good person; wanting your little one to live so badly; unfortunately in nature; and no matter how much we try (even with human babies sadly) they are just not strong enough to make it. It is sad yes; but it happens. Do your best to provide for this one and that will give him/her the best chance at survival.

As mentioned many times above for beardies and babies the most important factors are proper heat, and UVB exposure. They run off of instinct. When he is hungry he will eat; when he is not; he will not. we can force feed but that is a last ditch emergency thing. I provided in a few lists of the exact equipment I collected if you have any questions regarding what other people are using.

UVB Tube Hood:
http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Repti...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

UVB Light Tube:
http://www.amazon.com/Reptisun-10-0...199_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=070P456KQGDS6ASKC542

Basking Light (Bulb):
http://www.amazon.com/Bulbrite-H60P...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

That bulb fits all normal domes; make sure to get a rheostat to control its output.

Fix your lighting situation first and for most.

The head shake can be a few things; stargazing caused by the uvb bulb your using; or it may be the beginning of seizures. Just do your best and provide the best for him. You took on the responsibility; you can make do with being cheaper in some aspects but there are critical parts that we cant be cheap on. (Lighting most of all) those combo domes are no good.

lukas owens

Hatchling Dragon
It sounds like you are a good person; wanting your little one to live so badly; unfortunately in nature; and no matter how much we try (even with human babies sadly) they are just not strong enough to make it. It is sad yes; but it happens. Do your best to provide for this one and that will give him/her the best chance at survival.

As mentioned many times above for beardies and babies the most important factors are proper heat, and UVB exposure. They run off of instinct. When he is hungry he will eat; when he is not; he will not. we can force feed but that is a last ditch emergency thing. I provided in a few lists of the exact equipment I collected if you have any questions regarding what other people are using.

UVB Tube Hood:
http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Repti...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

UVB Light Tube:
http://www.amazon.com/Reptisun-10-0...199_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=070P456KQGDS6ASKC542

Basking Light (Bulb):
http://www.amazon.com/Bulbrite-H60P...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

That bulb fits all normal domes; make sure to get a rheostat to control its output.

Fix your lighting situation first and for most.

The head shake can be a few things; stargazing caused by the uvb bulb your using; or it may be the beginning of seizures. Just do your best and provide the best for him. You took on the responsibility; you can make do with being cheaper in some aspects but there are critical parts that we cant be cheap on. (Lighting most of all) those combo domes are no good.

OK GREAT NEWS!

so I tried the water dropper method where you like, drip water onto their nose and they usually open their mouths and drink.
I got him to drink some water and fed him some papaya by rubbing it on his nose to get him to smell it, he is being a little more active and not hiding from his heat lamp, I think he was dehydrated and the lamp was drying him out more, now that he is not thirsty he is running around his cage just fine.

I will still get him some better lighting and maybe a couple more decorations but it seems like he is fine until then.
I will make an update if anything changes.

Elders

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Glad to hear he drank ! Great news ! :) look forward to more good news and pics!

lukas owens

Hatchling Dragon
Glad to hear he drank ! Great news ! :) look forward to more good news and pics!

ok, he is sleeping again, I am driving to petsmart now to pick up some butterworms and some critical care along with some lights I am bringing him with me, as far as I know petsmart, if needed, will feed him there because he is in a bad condition, I am very happy he is moving around and awake.
I don't know if he has much longer, but if he does, I will make sure that he gets it.

I don't want this to be the case, but I have bad luck, I think that I just got that one out of ten that does not thrive.
:(

lukas owens

Hatchling Dragon
ok, he is sleeping again, I am driving to petsmart now to pick up some butterworms and some critical care along with some lights I am bringing him with me, as far as I know petsmart, if needed, will feed him there because he is in a bad condition, I am very happy he is moving around and awake.
I don't know if he has much longer, but if he does, I will make sure that he gets it.

I don't want this to be the case, but I have bad luck, I think that I just got that one out of ten that does not thrive.
:(

if this is the case, I will probably not get another one, and if I do, it will not be a baby, it will probably be about 6 months old.

Elders

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Just a heads up about store animals.

They for the most part are mass bred by commercial breeders. They are shipped all around, housed in inadequate housing with improper lighting. The staff at those stores are usually uneducated on the animals they sell and will sell you anything to make a sale....more sales = more money for them.....so asking them questions will not always net a good answer.

It's sad to hear you may give up if you lose your little one but don't take it as something you did. Reptile babies are very difficult to bring up, that's usually why real breeders will only sell at 6 to 7 " or 2 to 3 months of age....

http://www.dachiubeardeddragons.com/

That is the breeder I worked with....great people family owned...very knowledgable. Helped me with a lot getting started.

Well I hope the little guy makes it. And if not do what's best for you....don't feel disparaged though...sometimes these things happen.

Best of luck and well wishes for you both.

lukas owens

Hatchling Dragon
more good news! unfortunately, the vet office was not open, also I guess you have to have an appointment, I brought the little one with me so I decided to take him to petsmart, we showed up and they immediately said he was malnourished, I'm not exactly going by what they said, but more than one person who worked there owned a bearded dragon, after asking around for a little bit, I found a lady who directed me towards what I needed to buy for a baby and not an older one, like beardie breeder stuff I guess, anyways, I came home with a second little bowl that I could put him in to feed him crickets, I also bought more crickets, and then got a timer for the lights and a nighttime heat lamp. he ate 4 crickets at the store, he is still doing the head shaking thing, so I am going to go ahead and do the thing where they take him back, get him evaluated, possibly healed, then I'm going to bring him back.
he is enjoying being sprayed with the water bottle, like a shower, I am going to try and feed him in the morning then at lunch, I will keep you guys posted.

lukas owens

Hatchling Dragon
ok, I woke up this morning and he was at the edge of his cage even though I got that heat lamp for him overnight, he was tucked between the side of a decoration and the glass, he is fine, but I want to know, is this ok?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
They sleep in weird places so he's fine and yes, just like most doctor's offices you do need to schedule an appointment to see a vet unless it's an emergency vet.

If you got a colored heat light for him take it back. Colored lights are not good for them especially at night. They have something called a 3rd eye on top of their head that senses heat and lights and shadows. At night they can see light and it creates shadows and they will think they are being hunted and they will not get a restful sleep. You only need nighttime heat if their tank drops below 65 degrees. If that is the case you should use a ceramic heat emitter. Please know that they do the temperature to drop in the whole tank at night to regulate their body. So a temperature between 65-70 degrees at night is preferred. Most houses are that temperature so nighttime heat is usually not needed.

Please read the information in my signature line and in Hdrydr31's signature. All of this stuff is covered in those links.

lukas owens

Hatchling Dragon
They sleep in weird places so he's fine and yes, just like most doctor's offices you do need to schedule an appointment to see a vet unless it's an emergency vet.

If you got a colored heat light for him take it back. Colored lights are not good for them especially at night. They have something called a 3rd eye on top of their head that senses heat and lights and shadows. At night they can see light and it creates shadows and they will think they are being hunted and they will not get a restful sleep. You only need nighttime heat if their tank drops below 65 degrees. If that is the case you should use a ceramic heat emitter. Please know that they do the temperature to drop in the whole tank at night to regulate their body. So a temperature between 65-70 degrees at night is preferred. Most houses are that temperature so nighttime heat is usually not needed.

Please read the information in my signature line and in Hdrydr31's signature. All of this stuff is covered in those links.

ok, I'm only going to turn it on every once in a while. I really don't like going back and forth, I going to go ahead and take him back up there and let them take care of him for a while and then I will bring him back home, I'm worried for him.

lukas owens

Hatchling Dragon
ok, I'm only going to turn it on every once in a while. I really don't like going back and forth, I going to go ahead and take him back up there and let them take care of him for a while and then I will bring him back home, I'm worried for him.

is this an ok thing to do? I mean, I don't know if they take him to the vet right away.

Latest posts