• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

This cricket virus thing

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
beardielover17 said:
To add to what you said Sandra, I think the original article I found stated the virus started from a moth or a beetle of some sort so I'm sure the virus will eventually find a new host. Hopefully it realizes that crickets aren't that great...kinda like how us herp keepers think they stink too lol

Unfortunately, that's what science predicts. Which means that the superworms (which already contain biological problems in some colonies), the roaches, the mealies (same as supers) and other arthropods are at risk.

Relative scientific knowledge dictates that viruses aren't designed to destroy their host. They require living material in order to exist. The fact that this virus destroys the host indicates that it's not mature and will evolve more. The question is into what? And to encompass what?

I can tell you that if you've ordered feeders from any of the suppliers that have been infected, the virus exists in your home. With that it has the potential ability to spread. It has the ability to survive many things........cleaning agents, plastic, glass, and adaptable to most components we use in husbandry. Think of it like a dust particle. You might not see it....but should assume it's there.

I don't think I would assume that just because I raise my own feeders, i am immune to this problem. I think i would consider where all the rest of my supplies come from as well and take precautions to ensure that NONE of those come from wholesalers, feeder distributors, or personal "friends" unaware of this virus.
The virus is a parvo type virus..............which means the contamination factor is extremely high.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The UK supposedly had it 8 years ago it could be longer than that but that's what I've heard

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
beardielover17 said:
The UK supposedly had it 8 years ago it could be longer than that but that's what I've heard

What about USA?

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The US probably had it for a year or more. Only the past couple of months has anyone really known about it though

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay....then I can't be too sure that I don't have it or not as I've bought supers from the store in the last 6 months. If we did, would we just experience heavy die-offs of whatever colony has it?

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Assuming that IF this spread to other arthropods, it would have to mutate in order to adapt. That mutation would create different observances and identifying factors to the naked eye.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay. Nothing's seemed "out of sorts" with my supers at all. They seem to be healthy and as normal as ever. No die offs, either. I'll keep a close eye on them just in case.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The virus reportedly doesn't affect dragons. Although i do consider immune suppressed dragons...........
but with the feeders their selves.........if you were to contract the virus in your colony...it wouldn't cause harm. At this point, I'd simply like to see people learn to "grow" what they need for fear they may not be able to buy it one day. I actually picture alot of people being in this huge panick in the not so far future.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well, I'm definitely a proponent for "growing" your own feeders. I started it just to save money. Now, I see that there are far more benefits to it....like keeping your colony "clean".

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
now..................here's a question for everybody.

IF
feeders do become scarce, unaffordable or otherwise unavailable, where does one obtain them to breed?

We all hear.....................NEVER take bugs out of the wild. And while this is true, to propogate them, it is necessary to start somewhere. How many people know how to do that safely?

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I don't but I am most certainly hittin the books so to speak so I can learn how. After Frank and Magellan pass I think I will stick to herbivores :p

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well I sure dont know how to do it safely......

Right now Im just hoping the virus doesnt hit SA. Although my cricket colony isnt doing too bad. Just very slow now that its winter

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
typical for it to be slow in winter. gotta figure that most species that are insectivores slow down in the winter, and winter is the time for rest and regaining composure. spring lays way for new growth, babies and lots of active breeding.........................WHOOPIE!!!!!!!!!!

AHEM.....................sorry.........got carried away.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
*raise hand for wild collection*

I collect from the wild from time to time, as with any new aquisition quarantine is the main line of defence. If the feeder has injested anything harmful i.e. pesticides or anything it will die within a couple of days of capture. If it does not feed it (not to the dragon I mean feed the prey) and observe. If it does not die within a couple of days then it is deemed as bug free. Anthropod parasites are fast acting and fast killing any affected/contanimated anthropod die fast if they are carrying bugs. If it survives a week in captivity than it is deemed "bug" free.

Chemical pesticides are designed to kill anthropods fast not prolong it over the span of days, one of the misconcieved fears of people from taking outdoor bugs is it might have ingested pesticides. If it did chances are you won't find it alive out there.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Red Ink AUS said:
*raise hand for wild collection*

I collect from the wild from time to time, as with any new aquisition quarantine is the main line of defence. If the feeder has injested anything harmful i.e. pesticides or anything it will die within a couple of days of capture. If it does not feed it (not to the dragon I mean feed the prey) and observe. If it does not die within a couple of days then it is deemed as bug free. Anthropod parasites are fast acting and fast killing any affected/contanimated anthropod die fast if they are carrying bugs. If it survives a week in captivity than it is deemed "bug" free.

Chemical pesticides are designed to kill anthropods fast not prolong it over the span of days, one of the misconcieved fears of people from taking outdoor bugs is it might have ingested pesticides. If it did chances are you won't find it alive out there.

sometimes dear, you are a breath of fresh air.

Latest posts