• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rocky the rescue

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I was watching youtube last night and I always watch the bearded dragon shows to see how their enclosures are and I came across LG, the handicapable dragon. It was taken three years ago, this video...she was sitting in a tank in a pet store, dying. She almost didn't get a chance at life.

LunaLupus

Hatchling Dragon
Rocky ate his first pinky mouse tonight. Apparently he's never been fed from tongs, but once I put it on the ground and wiggled it, he pounced on it like it was a cricket. He then chowed down on 8-12 crickets. He seems to be calming down. When I went in tonight with the cricket tub he came right to the front of the tank. :D

LunaLupus

Hatchling Dragon
Another happy note....Rocky showed a ton of interest in his veggie/cacti/greens mixture today. After he left me a BIG pile of leftovers. lol Apparently everything is working inside. And he has no internal parasites!!! Yay! Now to just get him used to people and tamed a bit. Thanks for all the support folks! I'll try to get some better pics of him tonight during his soak. :D

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thumbsup.jpg

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That's great news! I was thinking about how he's coming along. :)

LunaLupus

Hatchling Dragon
Mr Rocky ended up eating about 1/3 cup of mixed greens along with his crickets. He had a successful soak and I learned that my bathtub is not quite deep enough to keep him contained. lol He also responded very well to me after his bath. Once he was wrapped in a towel he was letting me touch his head without hissing. In fact he had his eyes closed and looked like he was about to fall asleep. So I'm hoping that is a good sign. Even let me look at his toes. :) Here are some pics of him for you guys. :D

Post bath chilling in a towel
GEDC0970.jpg

This one shows the wounds on his chin and near his eyes.
GEDC0961.jpg

Almost a full body shot. You can see his missing toes here.
GEDC0962.jpg

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If the wounds are still open, not healed, it would be helpful to put a small amount of Neosporin, Ozonol or something similar on them after a bath.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I was watching youtube last night and I always watch the bearded dragon shows to see how their enclosures are and I came across LG, the handicapable dragon. It was taken three years ago, this video...she was sitting in a tank in a pet store, dying. She almost didn't get a chance at life.
This was posted some time back & is truly a sad but heartwarming story. There are a couple of pics of 'LG' in the Cohabitation stickied thread ;) .

LunaLupus

Hatchling Dragon
If the wounds are still open, not healed, it would be helpful to put a small amount of Neosporin, Ozonol or something similar on them after a bath.

Other than the one on his head the others are all scabbed over. I'm thinking when he sheds the scabs will all come off. The one on his head is closed, but not scabbed. He ripped that scab off the first night we had him, but it is healed, just tender looking. Do you think I should TAO it? Thanks!

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Unsure what TOA is, but if they are still scabbed & not fully healed, yes, I would put a small amount of Neosporin or something similar on them.

LunaLupus

Hatchling Dragon
TAO is just shorthand for triple antibiotic ointment. Thank you! I'll put some on him tomorrow during our handling time. :D

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I always believed scars are a sign of strength and courage. Rocky's lucky to be saved because I shuddered to think how long he would've lived if not for someone finding him. Birds, cats, and dogs. I don't even trust my dogs around Allie. So I bought a travel pen to put her in to run around in and do whatever. She can climb the edges of her pen which is fine as long as I'm there to help her out. Oh and another thing. Telling the dogs I have there's a baby in there, they won't touch the pen or Allie if she's in there. One will smell her, but that's about it. :)

LunaLupus

Hatchling Dragon
Very true. I think the cold this week would have gotten to him. It's dropped down into the 30s overnight. He's very lucky that someone cared enough to catch him. :D

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank goodness. I'm trying to let Allie out on her harness before the cool weather sets in. She loves going outside. It's already starting to show fall temps at night. :) Not cold enough to turn off the ACs at night.

LunaLupus

Hatchling Dragon
Had another soaking tonight. Interesting thing....he swims. Like, he purposefully went into the deeper water to swim. He seemed to enjoy it? He also let me scratch the top of his head, and around his wounds on his chin. I think we're making progress. His tail is starting to plump out, and he's eating like a champ! Downed another pinky mouse tonight, along with his veggies and crickets. At this rate I'm thinking he'll be back to 100% by Christmas, if not sooner. :D *happy dance*

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That is great news. Yes BDs are very accomplished swimmers for short periods of time, are also able to submerge safely, again for shorter periods of time, kinda cool for desert creatures.

LunaLupus

Hatchling Dragon
It was very cool to see. Our last beardie barely tolerated his soakings, much less actually enjoyed them. lol I am so happy to have Rocky, he's turning out to be pretty awesome. :D

Latest posts