• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question about substrate!

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
so i should use sand
If you want a particle substrate, Children's Washed Play Sand is the only one that I would personally recommend providing that your BD is 10+" or larger. It's available at most larger hardware stores or Garden centers for something like $4-$5/50 lb bag. Be sure that it is sand & not gravelly, if there are larger pebbles in it, it must be strained. Keep your BD well Hydrated & your temps up to par & it works just fine. The other alternatives are Non-particle substrates.

Vincent

Hatchling Dragon
Yes, That type of sand is a very high impaction risk, because it clumps or binds together when moistened & can harden like cement as in this pic of a Calci-sand impaction xray.

This X-ray image is probably the most real example that I've ever seen, to make people fully aware that this is a very real and dangerous threat, and not just blown out of proportion.
impaction01.jpg
Photo credit: BD.org

Sorry to hear about your other BD passing :(
Thankyou so much Germ......................!!...

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
where do you get that sand you were talking about from.
Just about any Garden Center, or larger hardware store, Walmart, Home Depot, etc. But stay clear of any colored or dyed sands. It is usually called 'Children's Washed Play Sand' or just 'Washed Play Sand'.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I would use sand , because it fits their envirment
You just have to be especially careful on the sand you use! We've actually got a ton of leftover children's washed play sand from cleo's recent lay. I think we're gonna see if we like it, it comes in 50 lb bags, I got it for under $5 as well. I was pretty impressed. I could see switching that out once a month. We've been using nothing but newspaper for a long time. The girls'll have a ball.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You can switch it out monthly if you like, I don't know anyone that does, I sure don't. With daily waste removal, usually very shortly after it is deposited, I don't change mine for 6-8 months or more. But that is me & not necessarily a recommendation.

Vincent

Hatchling Dragon
Thats good , I DONT believe news paper is a good substract. I think Cleo will love the sand way better than news paper.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
You can switch it out monthly if you like, I don't know anyone that does, I sure don't. With daily waste removal, usually very shortly after it is deposited, I don't change mine for 6-8 months or more. But that is me & not necessarily a recommendation.
They're in my room though and sand gets smelly fast.

Vincent

Hatchling Dragon
I think it would be a good idea just to take half of the sand out and put NEW FRESH sand in

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Thats good , I DONT believe news paper is a good substract. I think Cleo will love the sand way better than news paper.
Newspaper works well enough as a substrate. It keeps them from getting impacted, and is one of the safer substrates out there.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They're in my room though and sand gets smelly fast.
I have 4 enclosures, 450 lbs of sand in an 8'x10' room that I have my desk in & spend the majority of my time & don't have an odor problem. Actually I have had visitors on a couple of occasions, that are unfamiliar with reptiles, comment "Oh and they don't smell, I thought they would." If it does start to have an odor, then it gets changed out. It's not like a cat box full of urine.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I have 4 enclosures, 400 lbs of sand in an 8'x10' room that I have my desk in & spend the majority of my time & don't have an odor problem. Actually I have had visitors on a couple of occasions, that are unfamiliar with reptiles, comment "Oh and they don't smell, I thought they would." If it does start to have an odor, then it gets changed out. It's not like a cat box full of urine.
Awesome, because calci sand stunk to high heavens even if you cleaned it regularly.

Latest posts