• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question about substrate!

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Lots of pics of her. They're under the headings of pictures and breeding, titled Cleopatra and Cleopatra is laying.

Vincent

Hatchling Dragon
Just about any Garden Center, or larger hardware store, Walmart, Home Depot, etc. But stay clear of any colored or dyed sands. It is usually called 'Children's Washed Play Sand' or just 'Washed Play Sand'.
hey dude i bought the sand that you told me to buy and my bearded dragons are loving it.i live i learn. thankyou so much germ.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
shes a pretty one:eek:
Why thank you :) I've got her babies hatching out right now! Craziness. My Italian leatherback has been laying and cass' babies have been hatching all round the same time. I need a good stiff drink. You should go check out the pictures. They're adorable :D. I'm glad your dragons like the play sand. I just need to go ahead and get mine in my tanks. My only worry is that if cass is prego again that she'll try and just lay in her tank....?

SouthernDissolution

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
To each his own but all of mine are on tile. And my local breeder is having me tile all of his tanks (60+) if sealed properly its a breeze to clean and maintain. But like I said to each his own

Josh&Bowser

Hatchling Dragon
That type of sand is a very high impaction risk, because it clumps or binds together when moistened & can harden like cement as in this pic of a Calci-sand impaction xray.

This X-ray image is probably the most real example that I've ever seen, to make people fully aware that this is a very real and dangerous threat, and not just blown out of proportion.
impaction01.jpg
Photo credit: BD.org

Sorry to hear about your other BD passing :(

So what do you recommand. That is the same sand the Reptile shop set me up with.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Paper towel, newspaper, slate, tile, non-adhesive shelf liner, etc. There are many non-particle choices, at least until it is greater than 10" long. Then, if you really want to have a particle substrate, children's Washed Play Sand works quite well, if you make sure all other husbandry is up to spec.