• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question about substrate!

Daeyang

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
This is my viv if you would like to see it.. Its not much, and I really would like to decorate it. But I can't afford very much at this time for new things in her viv..

Attachments

• 403181_3178061381501_1564641198_32763739_767761213_n.jpeg
    403181_3178061381501_1564641198_32763739_767761213_n.jpeg
    114.9 KB · Views: 41

SouthernDissolution

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Personally, I prefer ceramic tile. It's super easy to clean, looks great and if sealed properly, doesn't stain. Being on a budget, I would continue to use newspaper until I could afford the tile. If you need an expenses estimate for tile, Id be more than glad to help. Sorry I couldn't help with the carpet issue. I do have a question though. Where did you get the bamboo looking structure in the left of the photo? That looks awesome.

Daeyang

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
OH! I made it ^_^ (thank you about the tiles tho; good idea!!) and my father was fixing the bamboo out on our patio and he had tons of little peices left over so i tied em together :D

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
For my viv I just use newspaper for the bottom but i want to get a carpeting.. like this one:
http://www.piranha-fury.com/pfury/uploads/monthly_03_2010/post-12945-1268787607_thumb.jpg
---
But what if she poops on it? how would i clean it??
Also; I have a 55 gallon tank..... so where can I buy that? (if its a good choice)
I've heard you have to scrub it out really good with water, but I could very well be wrong. You also would need two, and it's like an every time they poop cleansing as well because the liquid seeps in and starts to reek and grow bacteria. You need two because you have to let them air dry, or so I've heard. Since you haven't gotten any other responses on it I'll tell you what I've heard, but check your local pet store. They should know where you can get some critter carpet, if you can't just pick it up there. Sorry, can't give you a firsthand :(.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
It's not pretty, but it does the job with little to no complication.

Vincent

Hatchling Dragon
Sand is really bad for bearded dragons (vitamin sand too).Because what it does is when a bearded dragon eats a cricket some sand will be DIGESTED.(IT CAN RUIN THEIR BODY).So instead of sand I use aspen wood chips.If a bearded dragon digests that stuff it will come out of their system really easy(HARMLESS).bELIEVE ME i KNOW. MY BEARDED DRAGON DIED FROM IT.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Sand is really bad for bearded dragons (vitamin sand too).Because what it does is when a bearded dragon eats a cricket some sand will be DIGESTED.(IT CAN RUIN THEIR BODY).So instead of sand I use aspen wood chips.If a bearded dragon digests that stuff it will come out of their system really easy(HARMLESS).bELIEVE ME i KNOW. MY BEARDED DRAGON DIED FROM IT.
I'm not an expert on the different kinds of wood chips, but I know that they aren't recommended either. Walnut shells were suppose to be harmless too... and I recently saw an autopsy performed from a dragon that was completely blocked up from them so bad that it died. I would imagine the same results for Aspen wood chips, but I like aspen wood a lot. Makes great furniture.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What kind of sand were you using & how old was the dragon that died? Believe me, I would (& have for many years) use Children's Washed Play Sand for BDs 10"+, looong before I would ever use wood chips of any kind, which I wouldn't recommend at all, as it is not easily digestible and large enough to cause blockage/impaction. On the flip side, there are many 'Safer' non- particle substrates out there.

Vincent

Hatchling Dragon
What kind of sand were you using & how old was the dragon that died? Believe me, I would (& have for many years) use Children's Washed Play Sand for BDs 10"+, looong before I would ever use wood chips of any kind, which I wouldn't recommend at all, as it is not easily digestible and large enough to cause blockage/impaction. On the flip side, there are many 'Safer' non- particle substrates out there.
I was using vitamin sand and he was around 2-3 years old.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If you are talking about this stuff, it is Calci-sand ...

vitasand.jpg

Just turns my stomach to see a BD prominently display on the bag like this ...

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
oh ya thats the stuff
That type of sand is a very high impaction risk, because it clumps or binds together when moistened & can harden like cement as in this pic of a Calci-sand impaction xray.

This X-ray image is probably the most real example that I've ever seen, to make people fully aware that this is a very real and dangerous threat, and not just blown out of proportion.
impaction01.jpg
Photo credit: BD.org

Sorry to hear about your other BD passing :(