• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pics of Sully boy! He's super silly :P

Alisha OK

Juvenile Dragon
IMG_2932.jpg
Me and my boy ! He's so cill :)

A few pics of his set up, i went VERY simple because of my previous experience and right now. my best advice for anyone new make your enclosures simple!
Get a good temperature reader, and proper lights! What a difference that small amount makes
my temps read at 105-110 at the basking point in Sully's tank
I only got him on sunday, but he's already started to eat 10 crickets a day, which I was told is good during the acclimation period.
he's very tolerable when i hold him, after 5 mins or so he starts to squirm :p haha might have to start letting him roam around my bed!

IMG_2944.jpg
The breeder who switched finn for this guy said he forgot how old he was..? So judging by the picture does anyone have any guesses ? haha he's like 9 inches or so

Last pic is my enclosure, pretty basic but Sully seems to enjoy himself quite a bit!

Attachments

• IMG_2943.jpg
    IMG_2943.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_2942.JPG
    IMG_2942.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 133

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
BangHead.gif
BangHead.gif
- After all that was gone through, in the other thread with Finn, you still went out & got another stick on analog thermometer, that does not give you the proper temps at the 'Hot Spot'. -
BangHead.gif
BangHead.gif

Alisha OK

Juvenile Dragon
its given me a completely different reading than the other one i had! trust me, that one works lol My room in my house has a heater but is never on, the heat that comes out of the enclosure itself keeps my room at 28 degrees celcius or 82 degrees farneheit :p . judging by that I'm gonna say under the basking spot has to be accuraltey read by this one. Im looking for its case, its not rink dink like the Zilla one that came with the enclosure

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It is still mounted on & giving you the temp of the glass, which is affected as much by the outside ambient room temps as the inside. Of course it is going to give you a different reading, it's mounted in a different spot. The Basking temps should be measured at the hottest spot that your BD has access to which would be where the light is whitest on the stick in the Pic, & that is what should be considered the Basking Spot & where the Basking Temp should be measured from. It will be a heck of a lot hotter there than 4-6" off to the side, where your thermometer is mounted. This is why it was stressed that those types of thermometers were not suited to this application in the other threads & that a digital with a sensor that can be placed or attached directly where the temps need to be taken is needed.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Not trying to start anything here because truth being told you will do whatever it is you will do and that is your right and I am also sure that you want what is best for your lil dragon so I am in no way puttin you down here. That being said and understood I can tell you from my own experience that you really should listen to the advice you are being offered about the thermometers...I have gone to great expense and tried most every one on the market on our reptile enclosures and have never found a dial thermometer to give actual correct temps no matter how expensive they were...the only way to ensure you know you have you temps right is with the use of the themometers with the probes as Germ has stated..I think that once you do set it up with that type you will be surprised and you will have the piece of mind of knowing instead of guessing whether your info is correct...as a side note the probe type thermometers are only a few dollars more than the one you are using and if ordered online can actually be found cheaper than the one you have. Enjoy your evening..folks here just want you and your dragon to have many many years together thats all and just want you to have the right knowledge so that you KNOW you are doing it right for your dragon;)

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Alisha OK

Juvenile Dragon
I understand what both of you are saying, and i understand that Germ is very knowledgeable, however the first comment made was rather rude, just by the emoticons used. The breeder i got sully off told me this was a good thermometer and just as good as a probe, so I took that. Next time maybe it would be best to suggest instead of make someone feel like an idiot. You and I both know that I'm new to the hobby.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The emoticons are depicting what I was doing, I realize that you are new to the hobby, but do you realize just how frustrating it is to spend the time that we have, trying to help you to understand the importance of the right temps in the right places through the course of these various threads, even provided pictures. Just to have it ignored & have Sully in the similar circumstances heat wise.The proper thermometer type has previously been 'nicely' suggested on a couple of occasions, over & over again in threads for others. But that is OK, you will not have to put up with my 'Rudeness' any longer ;).

Take Care & Good Luck

Alisha OK

Juvenile Dragon
I just explained that the breeder I got Sully from made it a point that these were good thermometers. Which I took advice from, sorry to have wasted your time with serious questions. As much as I like this forum I don't like the harsh way you choose your words, I'm still trying to figure t out and I think I'm doing a decent job and I'm still learnin, but I will take y business elsewhere. Sorry to everyone for the time I 'wasted' with you trying to help
Peace

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
@Alisha...I.dont really think.anyone was or is trying to.make you feel like an.idiot and all of us were new to the reptile world at one.point or another...there is nothing wrong with being new at all;) If you have full confidence in the breeder that you got your lil dragon from then okay. I.wont try and persuade you any further and I will wish you and your dragon nothing but the best;)

Here is a little food for thought ...something for you to consider if you will....when your dragon's temperatures are out of whack it may or.may not show symptoms of distress...in fact he may not even appear ill outwardly until its much much too late to correct and then he is done for. Now I.am sure that you did not go out on a whim and just decide you were going to get a dragon one day and that you probably gave it a good deal of thought beforehand..see that is evident in the fact that you aquired your dragon directly from a breeder...most people that go to breeders instead of.pet shops are trying to make sure they are getting the healthiest dragon they from an "expert" in the field. So bravo on you doing that. That gave you hopefully a good start. I dont know your breeder or their actual knowledge of dragon care so I personally will not talk ill of them.

My point is this...you came.to this forum and introduced your new lil one and have been offered advice on helping you provide the BEST for your new dragon and advice that will hopefully keep you from making the same mistakes others of us have already made before and or wasting money on things that are not adequate. Thats all.

It is your choice to take the advice or not and your choice to have confidence in whoever you wish. But in your own words you are new to all this...your dragon is new to this world too...the question you have to ask yourself is "Do I want to take the chance with this creature's health and well being"...I believe I know what your answer is....the difference in providing the Best in this situation is only a mattet of a few dollars...the peace of mind you get from that is priceless;)
Enjoy your evening and btw your lil dragon is a very fine dragon indeed!

Alisha OK

Juvenile Dragon
Yes I want the total well being on my dragon to be exactly what he needs, which is why I signed up to this forum. What I stated was I had two different opinions from two different people, so I went with one and got criticized for it. Which is not why I came here. I would never buy an animal without having done my research. I appreciate what everyone has said to help me. I didn't buy him and just sit and let it be, I've tweaked and tested and wracked my brains trying to help Finn whom I had to lose in the process because he was sick previously and I was unaware when I purchased him. I love these animals and the reason I'll be leaving this forum is simply because I feel like I was disrespected for being a newcomer and taking someone else's advice ( the advice of the breeder who I got Sully from)

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Sorry you feel.as if you have been disrespected...and whether you choose to stay or go is again your choice...either way I wish you and your lil dragon nothing but the best.
I believe however that perhaps you have misjudged. I believe that right here in this very forum you will find the answers you seek to helping you make sure you are doing everything you can for your dragon because this forum is run by and filled with people that are passionate about these wonderful creatures.
That is something you will not find to the degree you find it here anywhere else on the net...I have looked believe me.
I hope that you will reconsider and that you will stay and share with the forum your and your dragon's journey together and that you will at least take what people offer as help in the spirit it is given and that spirit meaning well no matter how it comes out in text.
Good journey to you both either way;)

Alisha OK

Juvenile Dragon
lol oh my. I said thank you numerous times for all the help given to me, and i understand the time and effort put into it. Anyways I did order a probe thermometer, but what odds. Ill post a picture of Sully once he's grown, and ill leave my enclosure and set up for myself to deal with. Ill be around silently taking notes from people, but I wont say anything else. damage done, my fault for not understanding the creatures well enough before purchasing. now ill pay the price.
bye

Pat B

Super Moderator
Alisha....I am so sorry you feel that this forum has let you down or you felt disrespected. That is not what this forum is about. There are many of us that are new to beardies....me being one of them. I discovered this forum to gain information and knowledge on what were the needs are requirements of bearded dragons. It was way more than I expected and by listening to the 'old timers' that have been around dragons for many years I think I have a grip on what my dragon needs to thrive and be healthy. We are here to help you do what is best for your beardie. As for the thermometer, I had the same as you did and it did not give a true temperature of the basking spot. I bought 2 off of Ebay for $1 a piece, shipping cost more, and they work beautifully. If you think about it....a thermometer on glass doesn't measure the basking spot but a digital probe will. There is tons and tons of information out on the internet about beardies and everything else. I haven't found a better site than this one to truly give accurate information and what a beardie requires. The bottom line is a healthy dragon. Stay around a little longer and give BDF a second chance....for your beardie......Pat B

NaTasha Brinkley

Juvenile Dragon
Alisha, I felt the same way about Germ when I first started coming to this forum (no offense to Germ). Then I came to understand that his intention is not to be rude in any way; he just REALLY cares about bearded dragons no matter who they belong to. He, and everyone else on here are VERY helpful and knowledgeable. I'm grateful for all of their advice b/c frankly, even after reading and researching about beardies for months prior to joining this forum, I still had no idea what I was doing when I started out. Now, I'm much more confident that my beardie is getting the care he needs. Don't let anyone scare you away b/c this site will be your lifeline! LOL. Good luck with your Sully!

Alisha OK

Juvenile Dragon
Going to the only reptile store on the island that specializes in the actual care of reptiles. 2.5 hours away from home, worth the trip to me to figure out the perfect habitat for the dragon without the confusion of tryin to get it offline

Mungi's World

Hatchling Dragon
Hmmmm...Very Awesome! :-D (beardie grin) I think Sully is the first "Island Dragon" Ive ever met! And also very cool that he has someone willin to travel so far away from home to help them figure out the best way to set up Sully's crib! My Buddha and Kat are exactly the same way when it comes to me! Guess that makes me and Sully lucky dragons indeed!:-D (beardie grin)

Have a great day and safe trip...Oh and you should see if them reptile store folks have one of them Blue Cups...hehehe...the Blue Cup=Yummmmy Dinner! hehehe...and hope yall will join me on my live cam feed tonite for My Blue Cup Dinner....I'll even share with Sully...but he'll hafta be fast...hehehe! ;-)

Latest posts