• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ord's new viv design and build

gunkle

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
With out breaking out the receipts I would say about $400. That includes all lights, fixtures, thermostat, wires, wood, hardware, stain. Still need the glass and at least one more (probably 2) sheet of plywood to finish the stand

gunkle

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Just the wood and hardware for it, and stain was $199.96. I remember that cause I only had $200 cash to spend that day

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
What type of thermostat did you use and how are you installing it? You cut it close that day, probably the closest I have seen. Good thing you had $200

Last edited:

gunkle

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
That's good to hear. When I had a gecko and a ball python I had two that could keep within 1 degree of the set temp. they were like $80 a piece. Thought I kept them but can't find them anywhere. Hoping they turn up still.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

gunkle

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
got the first coat of stain on the cage and the hood. Still haven't built the door yet. Hopefully tomorrow.

Went with a very light stain. I like how it brings out the grain
IMG_20130927_190338.jpg

IMG_20130925_185058.jpg

comparison to an unstained piece.
IMG_20130925_185051.jpg

gunkle

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Food for thought, I just spent $14 for 10 slate tile and $10 for 10 cuts of the tile at a flooring company. Tile was bought at home depot. Anyhow, here is the link and it's at the end: http://www.beardeddragonforum.com/index.php?threads/operation-tropic-thunder.8705/page-2

I took up your suggestion and went to Home Depot. Again.. Had to pick up some other supplies anyways :)
I have been slowly (real slowly) picking away at this about 1.5 hr each night around keeping an eye on the kids. I have changed the front door since I didn't like the restriction of the sliding doors. Now I have 2 hinged pieces of plexi ( young children in the house. will change to glass in the future) that will be secured in place with 2 magnetic childproof locks for cabinets. The basking spot is built and this is where I plan to use the slate. Making sure they are removeable for cleaning. I have a diamond blade saw at work I can use to make the cuts.
Here are some more Pictures

cage with the frame for the front doors and 2 coats of stain and poly.
IMG_20130929_162534.jpg

Here you can see the basking spot ramp
IMG_20131003_180920.jpg

closer look at the basking spot with a slate tile while trying to decide on a configuration to make my cuts
IMG_20131003_180928.jpg

I still need to stain the basking spot but I ran out and have to wait for Saturday for yet another trip to HD.

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
On those tiles, when you are ready to install them.... I would use a 50/50 water: vinegar solution and clean them. Then bake them in the oven @ 300 degrees for 45 minutes. Let them cool and install. This will rid the rock of any possible parasite or bacteria that may have naturally traveled with it. BTW, I'm finding it easy to clean as well when Aries makes a poop. I'm very satisfied. Your enclosure is looking very good and has inspired me to build another enclosure for my female I will be buying in February. Great Job, can't wait to see more progress!

gunkle

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
The kids spent the night at there grandparents. Thought I would get a good chunk done today.... Rain. All day. So I decided to work on my media center PC build instead.....

Thanks for the tips. Will have to do that with the slate when Im ready. Gotta say at this point I can't wait for it to be done

milo0

Hatchling Dragon
You're planning to glue slat tiles on the ramp?

I'd be very careful with that if I were you. It may be too slick for your BD to climb. Perhaps leaving the ramp as it is, and only using slats on the basking spot?

gunkle

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
You're planning to glue slat tiles on the ramp?

I'd be very careful with that if I were you. It may be too slick for your BD to climb. Perhaps leaving the ramp as it is, and only using slats on the basking spot?
No glue I want to remove them for cleaning. They are rough not smooth tiles and its a slight slope he can climb no problem

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

gunkle

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
shouldn't be any problems. I haven't finished the ramp yet. Gonna put small pieces of wood on either side to keep the tiles from sliding off and there is something holding the bottom from sliding out as well. I made sure the tiles were no where near smooth. Smooth would totally negate the purpose of them being slate. Though I do like the twine idea but it might be a pain to clean poop off of.

gunkle

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Yeah, it will be trial and era Buddy. You will just have to wait and see. Can't wait to see the doors

I'm not too happy with the doors. Budget is getting tight so I cheated with the doors. Literally plexiglass with hinges and magnetic child proof safety locks. Hope to replace them with better in the future. Some wood framed glass is the future plan.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

gunkle

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Brought it inside yesterday. Got the ramp and basking area finished and the lights mounted. Need to get the timer and thermostat mounted so I can start testing the temps. Is huge in my living room. Will try to post a pic tonight