• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New terrarium build

Dennis Knowles

Hatchling Dragon
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444510322.901587.jpg

Stained the lid of the enclosure today and put the final coats of sealant on the rocks.
All that's left to do is...

Install the sliding plexiglass doors (track as well)

Mount the lighting fixtures (drill the holes for the wiring)

Install the hinges and mount the lid

Clean any work debris from the enclosure and touch up any final details

Install bearded dragon into new home!

Dennis Knowles

Hatchling Dragon
Update:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445194487.482947.jpg

We've been having pretty great surf here the past two weeks so I haven't had much time to work on Roscos enclosure.
I installed the lid and hinge supports (total pain)

I also Installed the electrical and I'm now working on the tracks and trim.
I'm going to install plexiglass sliding doors... Which is something I've never done before so I'm sure it's going to take me some time to figure out how I'm going to get everything to lay in correctly.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445194762.182459.jpg

Still have to clean off the grout on the sides. I'm now wishing I wasn't so sloppy in the grouting stage.
Looks like the surf will be pretty flat here the next few weeks so I might have everything wrapped up!

Dennis Knowles

Hatchling Dragon
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445444090.936810.jpg

Installed the bottom track and trim for the sliding doors, waiting to install the top track until I get the plexiglass so I know I can get everything to fit correctly. Should have Rosco all moved in by the end of next week.

Dennis Knowles

Hatchling Dragon
It looks really pretty. Just make sure it's getting enough air flow through it.

Thanks! I'm planning on running a small computer fan on the side vent to get more airflow. If that's not enough then I can open the lid a bit to create more airflow as well.

Willtheeman

Hatchling Dragon
Great job! Stuff like this makes me anxious about my Rex to get older lol I just got him but I already know he'll be a spoiled one and something close to your enclosure would be a great treat

Dennis Knowles

Hatchling Dragon
Great job! Stuff like this makes me anxious about my Rex to get older lol I just got him but I already know he'll be a spoiled one and something close to your enclosure would be a great treat

Thanks man! It's a lot of fun designing and building the enclosure, one tip for you is not to rush the build. It took a lot longer than I had planned so I started to get impatient. It turned out pretty good in my opinion but I still feel like I could have made it much better. At least if I decide to build another I'll know what I'm in for. If you decide to build your own enclosure and need any advise shoot me a message and I'd be glad to help!

Dennis Knowles

Hatchling Dragon
So I have everything pretty much done with Roscos enclosure. Just a few minor details such as putting a seal around the lid frame and the frame of the plexiglass doors. I also have to drill ventilation holes in the glass and put in handles. Here's the enclosure as it sits now. Waiting on the 3' reptisun florescent in the mail and testing temperatures before I move Rosco in.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446237886.181749.jpg

Dennis Knowles

Hatchling Dragon
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446656782.941707.jpg

Just waiting on the reptisun florescent, I think Rosco is eager to move in, he likes running around the cage. Got the temps all right 105 in his basking spot and 80 on the cool side.
Humidity has been a bit of a problem in the mornings, nothing to extreme. (Around 60%) but quickly drops when the lights are on for a while. I'm mounting a small fan on the side vent to really get fresh airflow into the enclosure as well.

Other than a few details and a new hide I'm just about wrapped up with the project. I don't know what I'm going to do will all my free time now.

ENY11207

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
What's up bro? Props to you for an awesome build. I plan to do something similar. My enclosure will be 4x2x2 as well. The only thing is I didn't frame it out first. Hopefully that won't present any problems down the road. My question is regarding cleaning. With everything being grouted, wouldn't it be a pain to clean? I would think you would want to be able to remove everything so that you could give all of the pieces in your habitat a good scrub. Your thoughts?

Reactions: jeb

Dennis Knowles

Hatchling Dragon
What's up bro? Props to you for an awesome build. I plan to do something similar. My enclosure will be 4x2x2 as well. The only thing is I didn't frame it out first. Hopefully that won't present any problems down the road. My question is regarding cleaning. With everything being grouted, wouldn't it be a pain to clean? I would think you would want to be able to remove everything so that you could give all of the pieces in your habitat a good scrub. Your thoughts?

Thanks dude! Cleaning was my biggest fear as well when it came to the grout. I have yet to have any problems with cleaning I will say it's not as easy as just picking up a paper towel and throwing it away. It does take a bit of effort on the more runnier ones but it does clean up with a damp sponge and bearded dragon safe cleaner. I try my best to give him baths regularly as he does his business in the tub and makes cage cleaning less often.

It would be nice to be able to remove everything to scrub it but the way I built it makes for easy cleaning and accessibility.

ENY11207

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks dude! Cleaning was my biggest fear as well when it came to the grout. I have yet to have any problems with cleaning I will say it's not as easy as just picking up a paper towel and throwing it away. It does take a bit of effort on the more runnier ones but it does clean up with a damp sponge and bearded dragon safe cleaner. I try my best to give him baths regularly as he does his business in the tub and makes cage cleaning less often.

It would be nice to be able to remove everything to scrub it but the way I built it makes for easy cleaning and accessibility.

Good to know bro. I never considered that there might be beardie safe cleaner. I've always heard bleach and water. I was planning on building all of my landscape so that everything would be removable. That no longer has to be the case. Thanks again bro.

Dennis Knowles

Hatchling Dragon
Good to know bro. I never considered that there might be beardie safe cleaner. I've always heard bleach and water. I was planning on building all of my landscape so that everything would be removable. That no longer has to be the case. Thanks again bro.

I think bleach and water may be a bit too harsh, I use a cleaner from petsmart by national geographic. Works great and smells good too, helps deodorize beardie poo smells!

Good luck on your new enclosure build and feel free to reach out with any questions

Latest posts