• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

NEW GUY on HUNGER STRIKE

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So black out the sides and try some plants? Forgot to mention is poreviuos home was half the size.
Yes I would start there...I have plastic background scenes that you buy for fish tanks on the back of mine and on the sides half way up on the sides I have black plastic sheet...
That could also be part of the issue it's a big tank for a little one so putting more things in there for him to hide should help that.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Something doesn't seem right here. You are using a 150 watt basking bulb but your temps are only getting up to 105 at the highest? Do you live in a freezer? Sorry, LOL! a 150 watt basking bulb in that tank should get the temps higher than what it is. I would get a different bulb. I have always had luck with the Zoomed bulbs, just make sure that the wattage of the bulb is safe for the fixture that you have. Some people use Par 38 halogen flood lamps and have had great luck with those.

My guess is your guy is going through relocation stress and just needs some more time to settle in AND he needs his basking temp bumped up a bit.

Steven Simon

Hatchling Dragon
So I took everything out of cage this morning to clean cage, I put him back on a clean carpet with nothing in the cage bare, put 2 dubias down and he ran after them and ate them. What does that tell you? Maybe to much stuff in cage, also found 20 plus large crickets In cage, they have gotten a lot bigger since I bought them, maybe they were ganging up on him at night??? I removed them...
Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

BPz27

Juvenile Dragon
So I took everything out of cage this morning to clean cage, I put him back on a clean carpet with nothing in the cage bare, put 2 dubias down and he ran after them and ate them. What does that tell you? Maybe to much stuff in cage, also found 20 plus large crickets In cage, they have gotten a lot bigger since I bought them, maybe they were ganging up on him at night??? I removed them...
Thoughts?

First I love the video that was cute. Second I love ur cage I tried looking for a cage with the door in front but no where to be found so I got the usual up top opening. So as the others said relocation can cause stress to the BD so they will be kinda skittish mind u that some take longer then others to come around. And cricket are like ninja they find the smallest spot to hide and come out when they want. Good idea to removed those crickets as to many will bother the guy and stress him further. But other then that ur lil one looks good. Keep in mind that younger beardie like hotter temp but then again each beardie is different so you just gotta watch and see where he or she goes. 150watt I had in my cage has the baking spot at 144 degrees way to hot hint to reason mines was baking away from it. I change it to a 75watts and now the temp is between 95 to 105. Which she is kool with. Where she is currently brummation under her log temp is at 80 to 84 degrees. They say temp can go as low as 65 degrees but I rather not have that temp.

Steven Simon

Hatchling Dragon
Another day no greens, he ate 2 Dubi Roaches from earlier... That's it...... I have 5 Dubi's in a glass bowl, well see what happens...
Is it possible my Dragon is going through a Brumation? He does close his eyes a few times a day....

Thx
Steve

BPz27

Juvenile Dragon
Alright I had to read how old your boy was. Ya he is to young for brummation. So I wouldn't say he in that I wouldn't worry too much jist keep green in the cage and offer insect. He just adjusting to the new home. Here's a pic of mines going thru brummation. When your beardie get lazy and sleep all day that's a sign of brummation this is what she been doing all day today and only open her eyes to see whats going on then close them
20161017_124322.jpg

Steven Simon

Hatchling Dragon
He is alert, and look fine,. but will just stay in one spot and not move often. He's usually in a basking area... 100 Degrees plus...
Im trying to be social with him, and take him out a few times a day... Maybe it's just to soon. He been in his new home for 7 days now... Does it take this long for them to settle in??

BPz27

Juvenile Dragon
Aww u know beardie are stubborn creature but lovable at the same time. Likemimes is 17 months and she doesn't eat her greens but I heard they usually don't get really into their greens till close to 2 yrs old . So keep offering greens as they young so you don't run into my issues. But ya as for how long they act like that it could be days weeks months. So best thing to do is jist let him a couple days to himself them slowly handle him a couple times a day.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He's doing fine just be patient and try not to over stimulate him with change. you can try feeding in another container keeping his viv the same. I would say he's still adjusting this can take several weeks.
He's way to young for brumation they don't really start that until they are after a year old... Now if your little one starts being super lethargic that can be signs of parasites..

Steven Simon

Hatchling Dragon
I took your advice and blacked out the sides today, also zero crickets walking around the cage, especially at night bothering him....
Here he is sleeping on a branch, instead of the back rock wall hanging vertically.....

BPz27

Juvenile Dragon
Yea covering the sides is good. As when they see their reflection they think it's another beardie and u know beardie especiallymale can be terrioriity so that's good I used a background to cover all sides. And like Hdy said if he lethargic he could be ill with parasites but leave that thought as last. Just watch him and see how he acts.

Steven Simon

Hatchling Dragon
This new guy is really throwing me for a curve, he's again not accepting live food today... Put Dubi and cricket right in front of him, he won't touch anything, Guy at pet store suggested horn worm? He should be eating live food 9 days later...

BPz27

Juvenile Dragon
This new guy is really throwing me for a curve, he's again not accepting live food today... Put Dubi and cricket right in front of him, he won't touch anything, Guy at pet store suggested horn worm? He should be eating live food 9 days later...

Hey hey steven relax my friend dont freak urself out, U just gonna stress urself out for nothing. Let me tell you what minds is doing, I been keeping her off superworms as she got addicted to it, so she been on strike for about two weeks without superworms, She not a salad eater and dont even bother with the crickets, today i did a test theory for my wife, as she force feed him his blended veggies via syringe, so after her i said watch this wifey, i threw three crickets in the tank, right in front of her she paid it no mind whatsoever, but then i took out a superworm and threw it in her bowl and she saw it and went right for it, i was gonna take it back but the wifey said that mean u showed it to her already so give it to her, so i gave the superworm to her, but do u see that my BD is playing mind games with me, its like us, u give me a snicker bar one day for the first time and im like holy **** this is the best bar in life. if the next day u give me salad ima be like **** that i want the snicker bar. so pretty much im playing tough love and not given her the super and just making her take the blended veggies via syringe.

Now u are in a good place with wondering experience owners, ur boy is new and young, and is adjusting to the new surrounding. Pretty much relocation stress, BD is not gonna starve themselves, they can go numerous days of not eating. its not gonna hurt them as they know if they get hungry they gonna look for food, so just calm down and relax have a nice cold beer put a salad bowl in his cage, put a couple a crickets in there, and before u go to bed just check the cage for live crickets, if its only a few in there he will be ok to leave over night in the cage, but only if its 2 or three crickets, or u can just remove them all together and put it back in tomorrow. but trust my friend it will be ok. Now a BD does not lose weight fast, but if u see ur BD is getting skinnier at a fast rate u need to go to the VET ASAP as chances are he may have parasites. but as from ur pic and video he looks good and healthy, I know when BD act strange it cna cause us owners to flip hint to reason why we come here for comfort. so just keep an eye on him and watch his weight, just keep the greens in his cage everyday, and just drop a few insect in there,

Steven Simon

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks for advice,
Stopped by a very reputable local shop that's been in business for years, spoke to owner, he suggested that my bottom areas are way to cold for Dragon, in the basking side of tank, the bottom levels near the substrate are 85 degrees, he said that's to cold for Dragon to hang out in, could this explain why he always runs to top baking branch? When I feed, he never wants to come down into bottom zones? He suggested a sand substrate Ground Walnut Shells, and a heating pad to make the bottom levels warmer and not comfy form dragon, he states my dragon may just be top cold in bottom areas???? Thoughts??

Whenever I try and feed him, I take him to bottom, offer food, and he runs right back up to warmer zones?

BPz27

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks for advice,
Stopped by a very reputable local shop that's been in business for years, spoke to owner, he suggested that my bottom areas are way to cold for Dragon, in the basking side of tank, the bottom levels near the substrate are 85 degrees, he said that's to cold for Dragon to hang out in, could this explain why he always runs to top baking branch? When I feed, he never wants to come down into bottom zones? He suggested a sand substrate Ground Walnut Shells, and a heating pad to make the bottom levels warmer and not comfy form dragon, he states my dragon may just be top cold in bottom areas???? Thoughts??

Whenever I try and feed him, I take him to bottom, offer food, and he runs right back up to warmer zones?

Thats good to get a second opinion, as for the substrate i would avoid what he said, sand is bad and walnut shells is not good eithers, especially at the young of an age he can get impaction. There is mixed reviews on using sand and substrate but most owners will say go for repti carpet, or paper towls, i used a slate tile for my beardie easy to clean if she goes to the bathroom, Also keep in mind that your boy likes the hotter side cuz hes young and needs the higher temp to regulate his body and digestive system. Young BD likes basking area to 110 to 115 to 120 i believe. As they get older they like lesser heat. but yeaha i would go for repticarpet.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Please don't do loose substrate (there are good owners that do a bioactive substrate here on the forum) but in this case I really think your little one is still getting used to things.. It's a great move forward that he's not on the wall sleeping!!! :) Just stay to your routine and it will be good.. What I do is I use ceramic tiles and under their warm and cool hides I have repti carpet and some fleece.. Your temps are fine I think that the bottom of your tank just may be too out in the open for him.. try putting some more deco's logs, durable fake plants

Steven Simon

Hatchling Dragon
He's back to the top tonight, I picked up horn worms to entice him to eat tomorrow...
93e2c564f7f1fa94dfebcf753e9141f5.jpg

Latest posts