• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

NEW GUY on HUNGER STRIKE

Steven Simon

Hatchling Dragon
Hey Guys,
So it seems my Beerdie is now on cricket strike, he eats greens during day, but won't take crickets, he ate crickets first few days, last 2 days he won't even accept them on tweezers, I put live crickets right on front of his face, and he stairs at them, any thoughts?

I've had him for one week now.. He about 2.5 months old....

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Since you've only had him a week that's still really new. it is common for them to go thru what we call relocation stress that can last a week to 2...Keep offering a good variety of foods...They won't starve themselves. He's just a baby so keep coaxing him in time he'll eat.

Steven Simon

Hatchling Dragon
Just tried dubias, put right near his face with tweezers, he backed away :(

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just tried dubias, put right near his face with tweezers, he backed away :(

Don't worry yet he'll start eating again he's just figuring out his new digs new owner etc...

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It is also possible he's a shy eater.... so placing the dubia etc in a clear step walled bowl/dish for him to munch on.. several of our members here have shy eaters and will only eat when no one is watching. It may also be that he's just not hungry right now, has he pooped lately?

Steven Simon

Hatchling Dragon
Yes he has pooped every day, even today... I tried one more time tonight, he's still backing away from tweezer and food....

Steven Simon

Hatchling Dragon
It can't get any better than this for him, 3 nice crickets and greens....

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He honestly looks good in the video.. Don't recall me asking you this what are his temps??

Steven Simon

Hatchling Dragon
His basking zones is 98 to 103, lower Temps o tanks are 80's, night time is 70..

Steven Simon

Hatchling Dragon
For lights I'm running the below baking bulb, and the 24 inch fixture is the T5 10.0... Also check out where he's sleeping...

b8a1ca1ae972d95af9d67567c7408c28.jpg
933e1abdc636da7b46d51e3824b7bca9.jpg

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
His basking zones is 98 to 103, lower Temps o tanks are 80's, night time is 70..

not bad there it can go up 107. The big thing I can add is watching where your little one is within his viv will tell you alot. Each dragon is a bit different in what temp they like. I'll use my female Izzy for example as she varies ALOT...She was my first so I made sure I was right on the temps but no matter what I did she either would mostly avoid her basking area or stay on the edge of it, to eating fluctuations. So I decided to change her temps until I got her to bask and gap...Turns out she goes in spurts of wanting lower heat low 90's then to wanting it hot more 95-100 and I just watched where she was...

So watch and "listen" to him and see if the temps are causing all this or if it's just him settling. You will be like the rest of us a shelf full of different watts,,,

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
For lights I'm running the below baking bulb, and the 24 inch fixture is the T5 10.0... Also check out where he's sleeping...

b8a1ca1ae972d95af9d67567c7408c28.jpg
933e1abdc636da7b46d51e3824b7bca9.jpg

that's a baby for you :) they will sleep in the strangest spots you may want to move him so he doesn't hurt himself if he falls.

Steven Simon

Hatchling Dragon
Is it possible the 150W Bulb is to strong? I started with a 100 Watt, and could get temps over 100.... That's the only thing I can think of lighting wise that changed from when he was eating, to not....

As far as watching where she stays in Vivarium, he pretty much stays on Wood and Tree on right side.. He never goes to the cooler left side of tank, where there are no lights over head...

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Is it possible the 150W Bulb is to strong? I started with a 100 Watt, and could get temps over 100.... That's the only thing I can think of lighting wise that changed from when he was eating, to not....

As far as watching where she stays in Vivarium, he pretty much stays on Wood and Tree on right side.. He never goes to the cooler left side of tank, where there are no lights over head...
It's possible...Do you have a IR temp gun to check spots. That makes sense as that's where his basking spot is, maybe try another hammock ladder deal whichever to increase his vertical movement. Both of mine have horizontal hemp bridges/access and varied spots vertically. I found that babies tend to really want lots of places to hide/bask/explore and as they got bigger I removed some for space for them to move.
Babies tend to fall asleep in the strangest spots almost like the lights go out and boom doesn't matter where they are they are out. but as they get bigger they will seek out a cooler spot to sleep under a log, or whatever hide you have. Mine out grew their logs so in a corner of both of my 40's I put a 12x12 tile up on 1x1's about 4" high then covered with a blanket so they have room to sleep and move around...and that's where they go to sleep and now they are brumating..

Steven Simon

Hatchling Dragon
I picked up a Ryobi Laser Gun, Yes that's what I'm checking with... The range of temps in the areas he hangs out in are 90 to 105..... He never ever goes low in the tank..... He is staying up on the Driftwood, and on the right on the tree branch that goes up...

Steven Simon

Hatchling Dragon
This picture shows the Temps, the circle is where he hangs out most, Thus is where he sleeps the last few nights, first few nights he was sleeping in right side basking zones...
b234ce647e27414726faac27ef8cd713.jpg

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Kinda feel like either it's not hot enough as he's as high as he can get...OR he doesn't feel comfy in there. I would put up some kind of dark tank cover on the 2 sides Even if just half way up to make him feel more secure. and some sturdy plastic plants that stick to the side. I bet that's what's going on.. I missed the sides.

Latest posts