• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New dragon owner here

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
My six year old gets real picky with food and sometimes doesn’t want to eat. She stresses me out because compared to my other 2 dragons she is a feather. She’s a good weight though and she’s proportional so I keep telling myself not to worry about her but I can’t help it, she’s my first and you always worry about the first one.

Angelaelebron

Hatchling Dragon
My six year old gets real picky with food and sometimes doesn’t want to eat. She stresses me out because compared to my other 2 dragons she is a feather. She’s a good weight though and she’s proportional so I keep telling myself not to worry about her but I can’t help it, she’s my first and you always worry about the first one.
Aww, yes it is like having a baby all over again. It’s funny too because when my son asked for her, for months it has been “you’ll have to take care of her, prove you’re responsible” ect.. and now that she’s here, I’m the one obsessed, I never knew I was such a reptile lover until now. I am pretty sure we are now co owners of her. ❤️❤️❤️ Which he’s okay with, he wants all the help he can get and loves her just as much. By the way she just ate 5 crickets in her dinner feeding, and some more veggies. That’s 7 crickets and 1 roach for the day. Hoping for more tomorrow but I’ll take it as a win that she’s warming up.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Yay!

We got bearded dragons because the boyfriend wanted something of his own because I have frogs. I have taken over just about everything with the dragons LOL! He loves them and will take them out and hang out with them but I do most of the cleaning and feeding.

Angelaelebron

Hatchling Dragon
Yay!

We got bearded dragons because the boyfriend wanted something of his own because I have frogs. I have taken over just about everything with the dragons LOL! He loves them and will take them out and hang out with them but I do most of the cleaning and feeding.
Haha yep funny how things work out. I have a feeling that will be our case too, although I do think he wants to help more but is scared to hurt her at the moment. I’m hoping they are able to bond as she gets bigger. We can’t have furry pets because my husband is allergic so this is our very first family pet. We are all so in love.

Angelaelebron

Hatchling Dragon
Day 4. She is being stubborn today. Would not eat a lick of the greens I gave her, not even out of my hand. I went to do her breakfast feed at 12 & she didn’t eat one thing, but she did poop during that time. Maybe that’s why? Will be trying again at 3.

Angelaelebron

Hatchling Dragon
She isn’t eating today I’m getting nervous. We got the UVB lamp mounted in her tank today so maybe that will help? Trying one last feeding soon, really hoping she eats at least a little.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
One is better than nothing! She should be settling in soon.

Angelaelebron

Hatchling Dragon
One is better than nothing! She should be settling in soon.
Thank you for all of your replies. I wasn’t sure if I should keep posting new threads for my questions or stay in one spot. I am very optimistic about day 5 today. Lights go on in 20 mins, hoping she eats a good amount today and lowers my stress level along with hers haha.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Fingers crossed! Today is going to be the day where she starts to eat you out of house and home!

Angelaelebron

Hatchling Dragon
Hey guys, here she is day 5 post her first bath. Does she look okay? She scared me when I bathed her. First she just stood there completely still, puffed her self out and just stared at me.. for like 5 mins, then she started moving around and clawing to get out, so that was it. She was in there less than 10 minutes. Now she is basking. She didn’t eat any of her breakfast other than one wax worm. I have been avoiding feeding the worms but gave it a shot with her veggies to just try to get her to eat something, and she ate it and that was it. Next feedings are at 3 & 6.. I think I’m just going to leave her alone until then. She is just so tiny and fragile..hope she’s doing okay.
34AEF05F-7760-4BC1-8937-B60BEC7BCDA9.jpeg
Hey

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Awe, she’s perfect! Baths are scary, they’ll puff up to make themselves float. Just make sure the water isn’t too deep. When mine were little, I put a resin fish tank decoration in the tub that they could climb up when they got scared. Then I would just take a little cup and run water down their backs.

Angelaelebron

Hatchling Dragon
9DE03C8E-7704-473A-9313-6A68DE6548F1.jpeg
Awe, she’s perfect! Baths are scary, they’ll puff up to make themselves float. Just make sure the water isn’t too deep. When mine were little, I put a resin fish tank decoration in the tub that they could climb up when they got scared. Then I would just take a little cup and run water down their backs.
Aww yeah I did not have it deep at all. I am still having trouble getting her to eat. She hasn’t eaten again today other than that one wax worm this morning & she also hasn’t pooped even with the bath. I tried covering her tank to see if it would help and I just went to peak on here and she was sitting in the corner surrounded by her food (a few roaches and some crickets) just sitting there doing nothing. :-( I was going to take her out and she started pacing like she was going to eat but just licked the carpet a few times and then sat peering up over her water (posted pic) until I took all the insects out. I gave her a good 25 mins, just by chance but nothing.. I’ve tried doing one at a time, hand feeding, leaving her alone, watching her.. I just get nothing. Tomorrow is our 6th day and she’s gone from hardly eating to not eating at all. I measured her today and she is 6 inches head to tail, also her tail still hasn’t shed yet, the rest of her has. The UBV light is inside the tank now & she has been active today, I just don’t get it. I’m terribly worried that she is sick somehow, and I’m going insane. I already have an anxiety problem and this sure isn’t helping. How many more days until I for sure should be legit concerned? Signs to look for?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Breath! It can take a couple weeks to settle in. Coving the sides of the tank is a real good idea. I know it’s frustrating but keep trying. She’ll eventually give in and start eating.

Angelaelebron

Hatchling Dragon
Breath! It can take a couple weeks to settle in. Coving the sides of the tank is a real good idea. I know it’s frustrating but keep trying. She’ll eventually give in and start eating.
I’m trying, it’s like an obsession, is that normal or just my own anxiety problem? Haha I keep going in and looking at her, over analyzing everything. She seems to know her bedtime. I went in right at 9pm to turn off the lights and she was already in her sleeping spot, opening and closing her little eyes. Okay breathing.. tomorrow is a new day. Thanks so much for all of your feedback, advice and reassurance.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
The anxiety is normal. They are so different than any other animal so it’s hard to know what is normal and what isn’t. I still get anxious with Dexter, she’s my first and I’ve had her for 6 years! I don’t really fret over the other two as much as I do her.

Angelaelebron

Hatchling Dragon
4FB9AB54-EBD2-40DB-9305-92E78BE6F290.jpeg
The anxiety is normal. They are so different than any other animal so it’s hard to know what is normal and what isn’t. I still get anxious with Dexter, she’s my first and I’ve had her for 6 years! I don’t really fret over the other two as much as I do her.
I have been reading way too much on MBD and stargazing after looking at her this morning, that I’m now concerned, or possibly over reacting? (I’m hoping) what do you think? I went to turn her lights on this morning and she was sleeping with her head up, I just went to check on her again and she crawled out a little bit is still kind of just laying there in a weird position & she looks a little off to me, not as perky. I was thinking about trying to make a roach/cricket/greens/squash smoothie with calcium and vitimans and trying to feed her that way this morning, just to make sure she is getting some nutrition. Too soon? I was going to just put some on a spoon and see if I could get her to lick it.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
She looks fine, maybe just having a slow start this morning. I can’t remember, have you tried putting her bugs in a bowl and seeing if she will eat them like that?

Angelaelebron

Hatchling Dragon
She looks fine, maybe just having a slow start this morning. I can’t remember, have you tried putting her bugs in a bowl and seeing if she will eat them like that?
No, I have not tried that. I have tried one at a time, hand feeding (which did work 2 days ago when she ate 5 crickets, but not since then), putting quite a bit in and leaving her alone (yesterday when she just cowarded in a corner), a few at a time and leaving her alone, nothing has worked the past couple days. I started getting concerned last night when she went pacing back and forth like she was going to eat one and then just licked the carpet. Should I try the bowl first and then the smoothie if that doesn’t work?

Latest posts