• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New dragon owner here

Angelaelebron

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,
I apologize for the long post, I have so much to say.
I am so happy to have found this site, I read a ton on here in preparation for our new bearded dragon. She is a gift to my son, all he asked for this Christmas. My son is a very mature 12 year old & has been asking for months to get a bearded dragon as a pet. His classroom has a chameleon who he has fallen in love with, and had researched the best reptile to care for which led to the bearded dragon. ❤️
This is our third day with Lady, and as I am helping him with her care, I have fallen in love with her.
I am posting a photo of her set up, along with diet so far in hopes of feedback if we are doing it all right or suggestions to increase her care.
The first day she ate very little, a few nibbles of raddichino & carrots (I chopped them small in our processor) a couple crickets (sprinkled with calcium w/D3) and a Dubia roach. Yesterday she had the same veggies, I am picking up some different ones day since this is all we had as petco told me to buy spring mix & then I read half of what’s in it is no good for her. Yesterday she had 4 roaches and 2 crickets(in calcium). This morning she ate 1 roach and 1 cricket & that’s it so far.
I have calcium powder with D3 I’ve been dusting the crickets in. I also a have spray bottle of calcium I haven’t used yet, with no D3 and a multivitamin powder, that I am planning on using tomorrow.
The plan from what I’ve read is 1 meal 3 times a week with the calcium with D3, 3 times a week just calcium & 1 day vitimins.
I have been feeding her 3 times a day, roaches and crickets as many as she’ll take in 15 mins. I cannot get her to eat in a separate container so I have been taking out the decor, putting in her tank and then collecting them all when done.
Lastly for lighting. We have a 40 gallon tank & Petco gave me everything wrong and I was so thankful for this site to correct it right away. They gave me a ceramic heater bulb to bask & the temp wouldn’t get past 95, so I replaced it with a 150 watt basking bulb and I dim it down until it gets 108 on her log. She loves it. Then they sold me the slimline UVB lamp, and told me it was fine over the mesh. Also, no one told me to remove the cover. Again, upon research I did end up removing it yesterday, changed the bulb to a reptisun and my husband is mounting it in the tank tonight. Humidity stays at 30, so I’m keeping her water in there as she loves to lay in it, and the cool side gets to 85, at night it stays around 70. Lights on at 9am and off at 9pm. She did shed yesterday so I believe that’s a good sign.
I added some pics, of her tank and my favorites of her, basking & the hilarious way she sleeps (both nights just like that)
If you read it all, thank you and any feedback or advice is welcome.

Attachments

• FF64E420-CFF3-427D-ADC4-3434A3E196A2.jpeg
    FF64E420-CFF3-427D-ADC4-3434A3E196A2.jpeg
    330.1 KB · Views: 53
  • DC30131B-6164-4772-947C-4916A0597C8D.jpeg
    DC30131B-6164-4772-947C-4916A0597C8D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 54
  • 5FEE3FBD-06DD-49D6-90D1-AEBF46730C91.jpeg
    5FEE3FBD-06DD-49D6-90D1-AEBF46730C91.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 55
  • 27134735-2668-4E2F-8FD0-369FEF218A8A.jpeg
    27134735-2668-4E2F-8FD0-369FEF218A8A.jpeg
    862.7 KB · Views: 54

Kim G

Bearded Dragon Egg
Congrats on lady! My girl, has been a wonderful addition to our family! The first week that I had her she didn’t eat like she did there after, matter fact she made me feel like I wasn’t feeding her enough because of that. What I learned is they don’t eat as much when they’re in a new space, new people. But by the end of the week my girl was eating greens like you couldn’t believe. Her favorite was bok choy, mixed with spinach, and sometimes I throw and collard greens. These are all very affordable and you can buy them in small portions so that they don’t go bad too quickly. I always use all of the bok choy before expiration.
I tend to fill the whole bowl, and there’s always a little left the next day, less now that she’s older. She wasn’t into fruit very much as a young bearded dragon, but as she’s gotten older she has gotten into diced strawberries over her salad. The nice thing is it’s easy, and she clearly loves it!
You can also get cricket food with calcium, this way the crickets are eating the calcium, my issue was keeping enough crickets alive to feed my bearded dragon, I would recommend getting the food and the blue gel right next to the food which is like their water. They still may kill each other off because they are a weird species, but not at the same rate. You may want to also put a little bit of cardboard in your cricket keeper, the kind that they give you when you pick up crickets.
Another fun treat which has a lot of hydration for your bearded dragon is hornworms, they are not cheap from Petco, I would advise buying them online from Amazon where you get four times or more the horn worm for the same price.
It sounds like you’re doing everything right, make sure that you also give your bearded dragon a bath every day, especially while she is growing. I designated a to go plastic platter just for her, I got a toothbrush to scrub gently, some of the shedding. Also just make sure you do lukewarm water or she will try to get out because it’s too hot, or becoming ill because it is too cold.
My two cats don’t always sit with me, but anytime I grab my bearded dragon she is down to hang out. Often times even when I’m busy she is by the front of her terrarium looking out I swear trying to give convince me to come over and grab her!
These are great pets, it sounds like you’re doing everything right these are just a few extra tips that I had to learn along the way. Enjoy your new year!

Hello,
I apologize for the long post, I have so much to say.
I am so happy to have found this site, I read a ton on here in preparation for our new bearded dragon. She is a gift to my son, all he asked for this Christmas. My son is a very mature 12 year old & has been asking for months to get a bearded dragon as a pet. His classroom has a chameleon who he has fallen in love with, and had researched the best reptile to care for which led to the bearded dragon. ❤️
This is our third day with Lady, and as I am helping him with her care, I have fallen in love with her.
I am posting a photo of her set up, along with diet so far in hopes of feedback if we are doing it all right or suggestions to increase her care.
The first day she ate very little, a few nibbles of raddichino & carrots (I chopped them small in our processor) a couple crickets (sprinkled with calcium w/D3) and a Dubia roach. Yesterday she had the same veggies, I am picking up some different ones day since this is all we had as petco told me to buy spring mix & then I read half of what’s in it is no good for her. Yesterday she had 4 roaches and 2 crickets(in calcium). This morning she ate 1 roach and 1 cricket & that’s it so far.
I have calcium powder with D3 I’ve been dusting the crickets in. I also a have spray bottle of calcium I haven’t used yet, with no D3 and a multivitamin powder, that I am planning on using tomorrow.
The plan from what I’ve read is 1 meal 3 times a week with the calcium with D3, 3 times a week just calcium & 1 day vitimins.
I have been feeding her 3 times a day, roaches and crickets as many as she’ll take in 15 mins. I cannot get her to eat in a separate container so I have been taking out the decor, putting in her tank and then collecting them all when done.
Lastly for lighting. We have a 40 gallon tank & Petco gave me everything wrong and I was so thankful for this site to correct it right away. They gave me a ceramic heater bulb to bask & the temp wouldn’t get past 95, so I replaced it with a 150 watt basking bulb and I dim it down until it gets 108 on her log. She loves it. Then they sold me the slimline UVB lamp, and told me it was fine over the mesh. Also, no one told me to remove the cover. Again, upon research I did end up removing it yesterday, changed the bulb to a reptisun and my husband is mounting it in the tank tonight. Humidity stays at 30, so I’m keeping her water in there as she loves to lay in it, and the cool side gets to 85, at night it stays around 70. Lights on at 9am and off at 9pm. She did shed yesterday so I believe that’s a good sign.
I added some pics, of her tank and my favorites of her, basking & the hilarious way she sleeps (both nights just like that)
If you read it all, thank you and any feedback or advice is welcome.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Everything sounds good. She is most likely just going through some relocation stress. Keep doing what you are doing and she should settle in soon.

What are you using to measure your temps? Also, you want your UVB to cover 1/2 to 2/3 of your tank and make sure when you mount the light inside, that it still overlaps with the basking light.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
@Kim G bathing your beardie every day really isn't necessary. Once a week is fine or even once every few weeks. The only benefit a bath gives is if they are drinking water in the bath or cleaning them if they are dirty. As far as the water drinking, you can always drip water on the tip of your dragons nose to entice them to lick it off rather than giving them a full bath. Too many baths can cause respiratory infections or bacterial infections on the skin if the dragon isn't dried off properly. Dragons kidney's have a high power way of extracting water out of everything that they eat. So as long as your dragon is eating salad and it's bugs and the bugs are gut loaded and given water, your dragon should be well hydrated.

Kim G

Bearded Dragon Egg
@Kim G bathing your beardie every day really isn't necessary. Once a week is fine or even once every few weeks. The only benefit a bath gives is if they are drinking water in the bath or cleaning them if they are dirty. As far as the water drinking, you can always drip water on the tip of your dragons nose to entice them to lick it off rather than giving them a full bath. Too many baths can cause respiratory infections or bacterial infections on the skin if the dragon isn't dried off properly. Dragons kidney's have a high power way of extracting water out of everything that they eat. So as long as your dragon is eating salad and it's bugs and the bugs are gut loaded and given water, your dragon should be well hydrated.

I don’t bathe her everyday now, but when she was younger and shedding more it was recommended, she seemed to like it, and it helped with shedding. We all are learning from different people. But as long as the bearded dragon is healthy that’s what matters

Angelaelebron

Hatchling Dragon
Thank you for the tips. I just love her she is so sweet. Just got home from the store and made her some kale, butternut squash and mustard greens. She ate a good little bit from my hand I would say my only concern right now is how little she has been eating but hearing it’s common. She has pooped 3 times since I’ve had her so I feel like that is also a good sign. I was planning on trying the bath in a couple days, I’m trying not to take her out longer than 5 mins at a time so she can get used to everything and not get freaked out.
I have my crickets in a little crate thing that is supposed to be a travel carrier, I have cardboard, kale, a potato slice and carrots in there. I saw the little water pillow things at petco, on my list of things to pick up eventually. I have spent so much money every trip I make because I keep finding out more things she needs or things I had wrong.
I am definitely going to look into ordering her food online. Any specific Place to order from? Or just amazon in general. I’m really excited to watch her grow, just trying to do everything I possibly can so that she is 100% healthy.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Thank you for the tips. I just love her she is so sweet. Just got home from the store and made her some kale, butternut squash and mustard greens. She ate a good little bit from my hand I would say my only concern right now is how little she has been eating but hearing it’s common. She has pooped 3 times since I’ve had her so I feel like that is also a good sign. I was planning on trying the bath in a couple days, I’m trying not to take her out longer than 5 mins at a time so she can get used to everything and not get freaked out.
I have my crickets in a little crate thing that is supposed to be a travel carrier, I have cardboard, kale, a potato slice and carrots in there. I saw the little water pillow things at petco, on my list of things to pick up eventually. I have spent so much money every trip I make because I keep finding out more things she needs or things I had wrong.
I am definitely going to look into ordering her food online. Any specific Place to order from? Or just amazon in general. I’m really excited to watch her grow, just trying to do everything I possibly can so that she is 100% healthy.

Tip on the cricket food that will save some money. Get Miracle grow water crystals. They come in a small bag for about 8 bucks and last a real long time. I mix mine in a giant Tupperware bowl with spring water. Give it to the crickets as needed. Also feed them stems and ends from the veggies you feed your dragon. Eliminates for waste as well has makes your crickets super nutritious for your dragons.

There are lots of good places to order from. I always try to find places that are closer to home. Joshs frogs has good stuff. Rainbow mealworms, lindasgonebuggie, dubiaroaches.com are just a few of the more common ones.

Kim G

Bearded Dragon Egg

I had the same issue with not realizing everything I needed or buying the wrong things. I just went to amazon I think I got 24 for around $20 at the store they are 4 for $9.99.
If ur crickets stay alive with that then good for u, I was just failing miserably. Now I lose maybe 5 out of 60-80. My other issue is I was over buying, and since they are savages and kill each other...well u can guess I was losing all my $ to them. Best of luck, Happy New Year

Angelaelebron

Hatchling Dragon
Everything sounds good. She is most likely just going through some relocation stress. Keep doing what you are doing and she should settle in soon.

What are you using to measure your temps? Also, you want your UVB to cover 1/2 to 2/3 of your tank and make sure when you mount the light inside, that it still overlaps with the basking light.

I am using a digital thermometer with the probe thing so it goes down to her basking spot. The other side I just have one of those wall ones (another useless thing petco sold me) I’m going to get another digital one for that side soon, probably my next trip to the pet store. I was planning on mounting in the back and completely center of the tank. The light hits the basking spot right from there from what I’ve tested. My husband has to order some hardware (brackets or something) to mount it the way he wants, should be here in the next couple days. I wish I would have realized it needed to be inside so it could have been setup before I got her.

Angelaelebron

Hatchling Dragon
Tip on the cricket food that will save some money. Get Miracle grow water crystals. They come in a small bag for about 8 bucks and last a real long time. I mix mine in a giant Tupperware bowl with spring water. Give it to the crickets as needed. Also feed them stems and ends from the veggies you feed your dragon. Eliminates for waste as well has makes your crickets super nutritious for your dragons.

There are lots of good places to order from. I always try to find places that are closer to home. Joshs frogs has good stuff. Rainbow mealworms, lindasgonebuggie, dubiaroaches.com are just a few of the more common ones.

Thank you, great advice! I will definitely check out those sites, especially for roaches they seem to be her favorite so far but a little expensive if she is eating them everyday. Time will tell.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I am using a digital thermometer with the probe thing so it goes down to her basking spot. The other side I just have one of those wall ones (another useless thing petco sold me) I’m going to get another digital one for that side soon, probably my next trip to the pet store. I was planning on mounting in the back and completely center of the tank. The light hits the basking spot right from there from what I’ve tested. My husband has to order some hardware (brackets or something) to mount it the way he wants, should be here in the next couple days. I wish I would have realized it needed to be inside so it could have been setup before I got her.

It happens, the initial setup is the most expensive I think. Once you get everything where you want it it’s going to be smooth sailing.

Angelaelebron

Hatchling Dragon
I had the same issue with not realizing everything I needed or buying the wrong things. I just went to amazon I think I got 24 for around $20 at the store they are 4 for $9.99.
If ur crickets stay alive with that then good for u, I was just failing miserably. Now I lose maybe 5 out of 60-80. My other issue is I was over buying, and since they are savages and kill each other...well u can guess I was losing all my $ to them. Best of luck, Happy New Year

Time will tell, it’s only been a few days & I got 50 crickets.. which she has only ate a few of. I will definitely order some of the water things for the crickets, sounds like a much better deal than at petco.

Kim G

Bearded Dragon Egg
09E14A88-9BF4-42AE-9E0D-2020A07B1E89.jpeg
Thank you, great advice! I will definitely check out those sites, especially for roaches they seem to be her favorite so far but a little expensive if she is eating them everyday. Time will tell.

I would even check for Amazon on those, Petco and all pet stores are going to always be more expensive. I try just to buy the bare minimum from there anymore. Crickets are the bare minimum. I included an image of what I found just a minute ago on Amazon

Angelaelebron

Hatchling Dragon
It happens, the initial setup is the most expensive I think. Once you get everything where you want it it’s going to be smooth sailing.
Yes!! I will be so happy to get to the point where I’m just buying her insects and veggies for a while & ways to order other stuff online too. It’s a learning experience but I’m enjoying it so far.

Angelaelebron

Hatchling Dragon
View attachment 19369

I would even check for Amazon on those, Petco and all pet stores are going to always be more expensive. I try just to buy the bare minimum from there anymore. Crickets are the bare minimum. I included an image of what I found just a minute ago on Amazon
Yes it was almost $8 at petco for 24 of them, but I made her take half off because a lot of them were dead. Thank you

Angelaelebron

Hatchling Dragon
The most stressful part is worrying if she is eating enough. How long does relocation stress last and at what point is it a concern if her appetite doesn’t go up. Day one, she only ate 2 crickets and a lick of salad, day two she had 6 roaches, 2 crickets and another bite of salad.. but today she has only ate 1 roach and 2 crickets, and some salad out of my hand. She has one more feeding in an hour and a half, so I’m hoping she’ll eat a little more then. Tomorrow will be the 4th day I’ve had her, should I be concerned?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Start to worry when she isn’t eating anything at all. The fact that she’s eating a little here and there is good. Bearded dragons are funny because they go against everything we know about pets. We are used to cats and dogs, they eat all the time and poop everyday and are verbal. Even fish go crazy for food everyday. Bearded dragons test us, we think everything they do means something is wrong when lots of times it’s just perfectly normal bearded dragon stuff!

Angelaelebron

Hatchling Dragon
Okay great! That’s a big relief. She has pooped once a day each day I’ve had her. I just get so stressed every time I feed her and she eats one or two and then just sits there and stares for the remainder of her 15 min feeding time.

Angelaelebron

Hatchling Dragon
Start to worry when she isn’t eating anything at all. The fact that she’s eating a little here and there is good. Bearded dragons are funny because they go against everything we know about pets. We are used to cats and dogs, they eat all the time and poop everyday and are verbal. Even fish go crazy for food everyday. Bearded dragons test us, we think everything they do means something is wrong when lots of times it’s just perfectly normal bearded dragon stuff!
Okay great! That’s a big relief. She has pooped once a day each day I’ve had her. I just get so stressed every time I feed her and she eats one or two and then just sits there and stares for the remainder of her 15 min feeding time.

Latest posts