• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New baby!

CrazyLeopardGeckoLady

Juvenile Dragon
At my petco near me they are very nice about me pointing out when an animal doesn't look good
I pointed out a leopard gecko on two different occasions and they finally took him back and is getting him tested for parasites
But the petsmart near me will tell me there is nothing they can do and that's the only answer they will give me, I called them out on a few occasions for housing reptiles of different species in the same tank and they didn't listen to me

And thank you! He is super cute and he likes his tail being pet [emoji5] he has been curling up in his skull that my friend got him and she is so happy that he loves it

DrewGarcia

Hatchling Dragon
He's adorable! I saw a green lizard that looked like that one time. And have been wanting one ever since!

Well, when I saw the gecko, I asked why it was so skinny. I wanted to cry because it looked awful. The cage was filthy.. I asked if I could have a discount.. Because he wasn't healthy.. And they wouldn't. They said he was fine. So I paid the full $30 for him. And bought another tank since I was at my aunts at the time, and thought I should quarantine him.. Then when we got back I told my grandma about it, and she found out it could have crypto.. Or I guess parasites. I felt horrible but I took him back. Because I have four geckos and two turtles. I told the manager it was sick. And that it probably had parasites...and the rest in that tank probably had them too. I also told him it needed medical attention as ap.. Then he gave me this sob story about how this never happens..or it came in that way.. Just saying even if it did, their cage was so nasty it was rediculous. It would take days for that to build up like it was. I felt bad for taking him back..but I was scared my other ones would get it. I really wish I could have helped it tho :(

DrewGarcia

Hatchling Dragon
It's the opposite down here lol. Our petsmart usually on top of things. And so far I've never seen anything like that there. And I hope I never see that again because I felt so bad for the little guy.

CrazyLeopardGeckoLady

Juvenile Dragon
Oh god that's terrible! That poor baby!
You did the right thing though, you have to worry about your own pets as well and hopefully since you brought him back due to illness that they would be forced to check him up
I almost never see a petsmart near me on top of things, maybe with the other animals but for sure not with the reptiles. Not to mention the workers there don't know how to help someone set up a leopard gecko

DrewGarcia

Hatchling Dragon
I agree about the setup. I bought our first leopard gecko back in October for my husbands birthday. I ever made her a teeny tiny paper birthday hat lol. Anywho, the lady there told me that if I got a leopard gecko, I could never get a beardie because the gecko had something on it skin that was fatal to beardies.. I have googled it, asked people at other pet stores..people who own both pets.. And they had never heard of it. So I'm just gonna guess she didn't know what she was talking about.

CrazyLeopardGeckoLady

Juvenile Dragon
I've never heard of that before!
I always see them telling people to use sand, heat lamps, and/or heat rocks
I've had to stop a few people who got their information from the pet store and explain to them the proper set up
I've also had several conversations with people about why beardies shouldn't be on sand, and to make my point when we went to get skele I chatted with the worker and I mentioned how beardies shouldn't be on sand and he put in how they shouldn't be on sand til they are adults. I will admit I was very hungry during that time and I have a bit of trouble thinking very clearly when I'm very hungry so all I could get out was that they should never be on sand
I feel bad that I ended the conversation like that without explaining more

DrewGarcia

Hatchling Dragon
They tried to get me to buy sand too. I was new to Leo's and I knew a little more than they did. I also had someone recommend a heat rock.. Just like the guy at petco telling me the gecko was fine..and not sick. You could see it's hip bones and ribs.. But it was fine. I think they should make the people who work there learn these things.

CrazyLeopardGeckoLady

Juvenile Dragon
They should, I like the smaller pet stores better
My friend works in one and she told me that the workers there have to know enough about the animals to be hired and I think that's how it should go for all pet stores. They don't have to be experts but they should at least know a proper set up for an animal

DrewGarcia

Hatchling Dragon
Yes. I would like to work in a petstore. I also like the smaller ones. I bought our newest one from one. She's pretty tame..not as tamed as our first one..but you can tell she's been handled a lot. And she has a nice fat tail :). I still haven't came up with a name for her yet. She has little hearts on top of her head, and three random dots on her back.

CrazyLeopardGeckoLady

Juvenile Dragon
I want to work at a pet store too but most won't hire people unless they're 18
That's so cute! I love when they have little spot designs on them! If love to see a picture!

DrewGarcia

Hatchling Dragon
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    628.9 KB · Views: 14

DrewGarcia

Hatchling Dragon
Oops I was wrong! Four spots lol. Idk if you can see them but she has a few little heart shapes on her head. And a little bit of orange above her tail.

DrewGarcia

Hatchling Dragon
I also noticed one of her eyelids looks different than the other. Maybe a deformity? I just saw it today tho. She's still cute tho.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've worked in many petstores in my time and it's common for them to hire people that didn't know much but they were willing to learn.. Most of them had bosses that loved the animals and made sure we knew as much about them as possible.

Your little one is adorable!

CrazyLeopardGeckoLady

Juvenile Dragon
Update: I got him small crickets to eat because I was afraid he wasn't eating the small mealworms and I got a video of the handsome boy eating (I saw bulges but he's still too young to tell)

Latest posts