• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My first beardie

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
ive always had lizards and amphibious creatures growing up, i know fair amount about lizard care, but proper lighting is something im still learning about,….it has come a long way since i was a kid (back in the day most pet stores told you “oh yea just throw a 50w-120w heat bulb in there and ur lizard will be fine) for the mealworms and wax worms (first off wax worms are practically just a moving butter ball) so if u feed those make shure its not a staple, and only maybe a every other day treat, the meal worms compared to super worms (meal worms and supers are practically identical, but they are different species) mealworms exoskeletons are a lot harder to digest, if u feed them you’ll notice ur beardy pooping out undigested “bug bits” this is B A D (for multiple reasons) 1impaction 2the bug parts could be cutting his insides 3 generally you want them getting all the nutrients from their bugs (especially the bugs skin, thats what keeps ur bearded dragons scales healthy, along with the calcium) u can try feeding small super worms to him, but im certain the same results will happen, i started feeding super worms to my girl alot earlier than most people would 6months, but she digested them just fine (only problem was she became addicted to them) they do have a good amount of fat in them , but not enough to make my girl over weight, as i was feeding a number of different bugs to her.
The reason I ask about the mealworms, wax worms and locust, is the breeder feeds them. I have to be honest, I don’t feel like chopping it’s legs off prior to feeding so I might skip the locusts, I was just interested, as the breeder seems to have really healthy beardies!

I’ll get some wax worms as a treat and I’ll save the super worms for when he’s older, thank you!

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
The reason I ask about the mealworms, wax worms and locust, is the breeder feeds them. I have to be honest, I don’t feel like chopping it’s legs off prior to feeding so I might skip the locusts, I was just interested, as the breeder seems to have really healthy beardies!

I’ll get some wax worms as a treat and I’ll save the super worms for when he’s older, thank you!
Everyone feeds their beardy differently, only until I joined this forum did I learn about “critical care” feeding baby food to them. And I personally couldn’t cut up the bug either, you can certainly try the supers, just monitor the stool and if u see lots of bug bits theres ur answer, if u want to see my bin of those i can post a pic of them.

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
Everyone feeds their beardy differently, only until I joined this forum did I learn about “critical care” feeding baby food to them. And I personally couldn’t cut up the bug either, you can certainly try the supers, just monitor the stool and if u see lots of bug bits theres ur answer, if u want to see my bin of those i can post a pic of them.
Yes please would love a pic! I’ll get the supers when he’s older and see how he goes!

another question for you, what temp should cooler end be?

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Yes please would love a pic! I’ll get the supers when he’s older and see how he goes!

another question for you, what temp should cooler end be?
You can have it be as low as 70f but I wouldn’t let it go into the 60s if u can help it, i know it can get chilly there, its okay if the night time temps dip a little bit, but if you know its gonna be super cold 49or below , have an extra che on hand so u can pop it in if needed

heres the bin, its just oats n bran flakes (microwaved for 30s)(yes i know it kills nutrition ur killing any eggs in it) i feed them the veggies that the dragon would be eating, try to keep veggies with skin in there, or else you’ll get mold, whenever i get a new batch of 500 I clean everything add new substrate/food

Attachments

• E8863F9D-60DC-42B9-9016-53A96CCFF14B.jpeg
    E8863F9D-60DC-42B9-9016-53A96CCFF14B.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 8
  • 76C4F088-4ABA-4F44-A234-7C80225E4943.jpeg
    76C4F088-4ABA-4F44-A234-7C80225E4943.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • 07083B5B-D389-4C82-A37C-64B8D86ED342.jpeg
    07083B5B-D389-4C82-A37C-64B8D86ED342.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
You can have it be as low as 70f but I wouldn’t let it go into the 60s if u can help it, i know it can get chilly there, its okay if the night time temps dip a little bit, but if you know its gonna be super cold 49or below , have an extra che on hand so u can pop it in if needed

heres the bin, its just oats n bran flakes (microwaved for 30s)(yes i know it kills nutrition ur killing any eggs in it) i feed them the veggies that the dragon would be eating, try to keep veggies with skin in there, or else you’ll get mold, whenever i get a new batch of 500 I clean everything add new substrate/food
Ok that’s fine for cool end, where should I place thermometer probe in the cool end?

And as for night time I have a ceramic heater which is on a thermostat so would like to know what a good night temperature is?

you seem very busy with all these cultures and beardie, good for you!!! Saves you money and I bet you learn so much!

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Some of this you are gonna have to tweak and change once he gets here, but id have the cool end probe wherever hes gonna hide at night, you need that reading, as for the che, uhmmm whats ur weather like? What are ur night time temps, for them being comfortable and a baby id say no lower than 75, you wanna keep him comfortable and digesting, but you do gotta remember their natural habitats in Australia it does get cold there at night, down into the 30s sometimes. So they do kinda need cold , but not too cold!

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
It regularly drops below that in my living room at night! I will only have it working when the other lights go off. I’ll set it to 75f just so thats when it kicks in.

The vent comes in at the back of his hide for the thermometer probe so that’s nice and easy.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok can baby beardie have locust?

can I just ask why no mealworm or wax worm? Just out of interest.
Meal worms have a exoskeleton on them that is too harsh on babies stomachs and I just read recently that babies stomachs the intestines are narrow and as they get older widen out more - reason for impaction - also wax worms are too fatty - occasionally fed is ok but not a every time treat - too many and fed too much can cause long term liver damage - I dont feed at all - I did try once before and both of my dragons did not like them and did not eat them so I do not buy them -- mine eat super worms horn worms and butter worms -- silks once in a while - they are a staple feeder so I get them every so often to add variety from the roaches

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
Meal worms have a exoskeleton on them that is too harsh on babies stomachs and I just read recently that babies stomachs the intestines are narrow and as they get older widen out more - reason for impaction - also wax worms are too fatty - occasionally fed is ok but not a every time treat - too many and fed too much can cause long term liver damage - I dont feed at all - I did try once before and both of my dragons did not like them and did not eat them so I do not buy them -- mine eat super worms horn worms and butter worms -- silks once in a while - they are a staple feeder so I get them every so often to add variety from the roaches
Thank you @ Sadie.

do you get parasites from live food? So I have bought mine from swell and I know from fish keeping you culture your own because they get sick otherwise, does the same apply with dragons?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you @ Sadie.

do you get parasites from live food? So I have bought mine from swell and I know from fish keeping you culture your own because they get sick otherwise, does the same apply with dragons?
Crickets are a good culprit for giving parasites/ worms- I had blaze for over a year when he appeared w/ them and he has never had crickets so I asked my vet and she told me he probably had the parasites when I got him and it took that long for them to hatch- so he was treated and is now down to a level he can control w/ correct UVB and basking temps-

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
Crickets are a good culprit for giving parasites/ worms- I had blaze for over a year when he appeared w/ them and he has never had crickets so I asked my vet and she told me he probably had the parasites when I got him and it took that long for them to hatch- so he was treated and is now down to a level he can control w/ correct UVB and basking temps-
That’s interesting? Not a good experience for you I’m sure! It does make me a little nervous knowing I could be feeding something that could make him unwell, is there anyway of checking the bugs prior to feeding? Is there something that can be fed to the bugs to help clean them? I did see something on the internet that claims to help avoid the dragon getting parasites called verm-x, do u know anything about this?

I have a funny feeling his cave won’t be finished in time so I’ve decided to buy a back up, I’ve been looking at the habba huts, what size would be best for baby beardie?

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
Also lol, I’ve got collard green seeds coming but I need to buy some for when he arrives, I’m having trouble finding them anywhere in the uk, everywhere tells me that collard greens are called spring greens over here! There is also something called baby leaf greens but that is all I can find!

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
It looks like kale, but im not quite shure, theres alot of different kinds, bottled water is fine, the hut, i think the medium one would do fine, the large is longer (its 11”) and could be used when hes older aswell.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Is there a limit as to hammock height for a baby beardie?
I personally wouldn’t put it higher than 7 inches but no theres no limit, bearded dragons are semi-arboreal (meaning they’ll climb a downed tree but not up into a live one, unless a birds trying to get them) , some beardies like to jump off of things like maniacs (like mine) and will hurt themselves on tile. If u notice ur guy jumping off things , get a couple mouse pads, like ive said before some things will need to be tweaked once ur lil guy gets here :) so dont feel bad if everythings not perfect, all i had was a hammock and two feed dishes when i got my girl.

Latest posts