• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I need some advice

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
He does look great. I know the the stitches look bad now but his hair will grow back and cover it and after a while you will not even notice he only has 3 legs. He is so young he will not know there is anything different about him.

Thanks Gina for taking care of him!

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh wow, he is absolutely adorable. I already dont see that he has only 3 legs.
He seems so happy, especially after what he has been through in such a short time.

It is true what they say . . . dogs (pets - if you consider the limbless beardie on the other thread) dont ask to be perfect or even for you to be. All they need and want is to be loved and to be able to love those who love them back. ;D

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He is actually doing very well. We have a minor infection, and different antibiotics, but it should clear just fine. The vet said just rest and plenty of water.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Good to hear. So is the little one growing on you yet?

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I really wish I could say i was in love with him.............but sorry folks.........i dont do mammals.
he's sweet, i feel sorry for him, i hate it when some living thing suffers for the pure pleasure of something or someone else, but in the end, he's a sweet dog that i'll find a great home for. I like taking care of him, but i've been a rescuer all my life. this is really not my realm of knowledge tho. lol

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
What a sweet little puppy. He's lucky to have found you to take care of him. I hope he finds a great home.

I_Love_George

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
If this is an older thread, I'm sorry for responding but how horrible for this sweet puppy. I am also not a huge "fan" of pitbulls...Understandably here in Detroit, we have a huge problem with dog fighting and unfortunately, I've seen so many bait dogs being disposed of or just left wandering around that it's disturbing. They do not adopt pitbulls here in Michigan out due to the fact that if they were in a fighting situation, the dog can never be trusted. Is he a purebred? If he's a pitbull mix, he may have a better disposition then a typical pitbull. The thing is, a long time ago they were considered an ideal family pet. They are working dogs and love to please. People that fight them exploit this trait in them. Through abuse, intimidation, and the drive the animal feels to do what it's owner wants, it becomes a weapon and a tool for making money.

Pitbulls with the right home, love, and correct training are awesome pets. Intelligent, loyal, and easily trained. To be honest, I'm glad he came to you, because it seems you will make sure he is placed with someone that will give him the love he needs. Man, I wish I was closer...You can see in his eyes how grateful he is and I feel he would make a great addition to someone's home.

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have seen many sweet pitbulls. But I would never own one. Too risky. But I do feel for this breed.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I_Love_George said:
Pitbulls with the right home, love, and correct training are awesome pets. Intelligent, loyal, and easily trained. To be honest, I'm glad he came to you, because it seems you will make sure he is placed with someone that will give him the love he needs. Man, I wish I was closer...You can see in his eyes how grateful he is and I feel he would make a great addition to someone's home.
I question the intelligence of mine. She's nicknamed dum dum for a reason lol She's brilliant with most things but some other things not so much. It's because she's still in her puppy phase

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Most are good dogs, there reputation is worse then they are. All the ones that I have met with responsible owners are the sweetest dogs you could ever meet and protect kids that are not even theirs. My friend had a pit and it loved Kenzie, she would not let anyone but me or her owner get near kenzie. If anyone else would go near Kenz she would wiggle her way between them but still wag her tail, she just wanted them to know she was there and kenz was hers to protect. After our 2 big dogs are gone we are going to get one from the pound. Of course REALLY test its temperament since we will not know its background. The kids will be older too so they will know how to respect a dog. What I am really looking for is a dog like this poor little guy. If we did not have 3 already I would love to take him.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sorry I totally forgot about this thread.

Zepher's time with me is done. He's all healed and acting just like any other puppy. He plays ball, chases the raccoon (it's a ball with a fake raccoon tail) and climbs a set of steps to get into bed.

He met a family with no pets and seemed to be especially attracted to their little girl. He laid beside her, stood when she stood and stayed still when she spoke to him. He played with her alot better than i expected him to.

Her mom talked to me about him and i told her he was to be adopted out soon. She asked if she could take him on a trial basis to see if he fit into their family. They have a fenced yard and live in the country.

He went to stay with them the weekend of September 10. They called me on the 12th of September to tell me they were thrilled with him. They took him camping over the weekend. He rode in the boat and stayed with the child everywhere but in the water. They've had him fitted for a life preserver, and I believe he's found that "forever place" with them. He now has a dog bowl with his name on it and a blankie. lol

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Aww! That makes me so happy to hear that! He seems to have fallen in love with the little girl which is great. I love happy endings! Good on you Gina for doing everything you've done for that puppy. Not only did you make the puppy happy but you made a family happy too.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I really feel good about the connection. He looks to that little girl for everything. Although I do realize, and so do his family, that may make him especially protective over her. But its nice to see him outside running in a big back yard, and laying beside the swing set when she's playing.
He still runs to me. And he'll follow my voice and commands before his owners, but i suppose that's just a matter of time.
They bought him a bone shaped tag with his name address and phone number for his collar. He thinks it's Christmas every weekend. lol

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That's too cute. I had a dog that was like that with me when I was a baby. I had him up until I was about 17 years old and his way of letting people know to back off from his "baby" was to sit down between me and the person and just bark or nudge me out of the room or away from the person. He shouldn't have any aggression with being protective over her as long as he get socialized with people.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have no idea how in gods name I missed this thread. I would have loved to put my 2cents in. Oh well.

Gina....great job. I would have gone with amputation also. Especially with a hind leg. Actually most of dogs muscles are in their chest and upper area so a loss of a back leg for a dog (especially a puppy) isn't a big deal.

I also totally agree that chances are this dog was a bait dog in training. He is a puppy, so to be a full fledged bait dog probably not.

I love pits. I think they as a breed have such a bad rap. Of course I have to say if I was to get one, I would make sure the lines back a few generations were never used for any kind of fighting. Unfortunately these dogs are such a "strong' breed and if fighting is in their blood, there could be problems. That said, they can be rehabilitated and sent to loving homes with success.

You did a great job Gina. I know you aren't a mammal type of person, so even more so you did a great job getting this puppy back on his feet and to a loving home.

Latest posts