• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I need some advice

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
As for your wallet, $2000 is a lot of money and especially for a dog that is not your own.

$2,000 was for the surgery to repair, which i didn't elect. The vet assumed 1/2 of the cost, and my total including all his time spending nights there is only gonna be about 460.00. I think the vet sensed my hesitant thoughts and wanted to make things easier.

Sorry Monique, I'm no saint. Believe me.
But i hate to see anything in unnecessary pain. Why should this pup suffer from something that can be fixed? Or at least that he can be relieved of and not have to go thru his day full of pain?

On another note........................My son found a sign where people were missing a pit puppy. He called the number and they described the pup. He gave them my cell and they called me.
Apparently, they have a "chain link dog kennel" where the pup stays at night. When they went to feed it the next morning, it was gone. They hunted for it, then put up missing signs.

They described the dog to a tee and i told them how he ended up with me. I also informed them that in order to save him, i had his leg amputated. This meant i also had shots given to him. At this point i was hoping they weren't gonna tell me he already had them. They're pissed at me because of the amputation! The dog suddenly isn't worth anything anymore, and i can keep him. They refuse the bill since they didn't take the dog in and another perfectly good human goes to crap in my opinion. What a waste of good carbon material.

So, it looks like I'll get to see Zephr this evening. He's awake, barely. Licking ice, but not drinking yet. He has an IV, so he's hydrated. He hasn't eaten anything since this happened. The vet says it'll be a few days. They've got to get him moving for his kidneys to work properly first. He's estimating about a month to 6 weeks recovery, depending on how the pup gets on.

Jiffy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
His former owners dont sound all that great either. I am glad that they did not take him back, they are probably not the best home for this dog anyway. If they cared about the dog, they would have been thrilled you saved it, and offered anything to get him back.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
OMG, that's a terrible response to someone who saved their dog. Would they have preferred you let it die... what would it be worth then?

Some people shouldn't own animals.
Glad to hear surgery went well, will be praying he makes a speedy recovery.
Hes much better off with you for now and then a loving family after he recovers.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Wow what low life scum (and I'm being nice) those people are! If that had been my dog I would've given you the money for everything PLUS some for saving him and being such a nice person. The dog is better off without them anyway. For the dog to be in an outdoor kennel overnight just gives me a picture of a crappy life that dog may have had prior to this ordeal. I couldn't keep my dog outside overnight. He would be in a pen or a crate indoors with heat and AC.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Glad the vet is working with you. What pieces of crap (said nicely). How could they not be thankful you helped their dog. How is a 3 legged dog worthless, it can still love people and do everything a 4 legged dog can. Well if they kept it outside and only fed it then they don't deserve any dog anyway, dogs are social and need human contact.

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Urrgh people like that truly irk me. That poor stray that had to be put down could have easily come from an uncaring home just like that of the puppies owner. It's a shame we can't prevent things like this from occuring but I have all the respect for you care of this poor little pup, Zephyr. You made the right decision for sure. I'm even more impressed by your actions considering your negative history with pits. I can relate to you on that, saw my best friend mauled by the family pit bull with no warning. He was about to get me as well before my friend's dad intervened. But just like you, I couldn't turn my back on an innocent in dire need. Kudos to you. Now I want pics of Zephyr when he (she?) is better. :)

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I went to see the pup last night. He looked so sad. The vet said he was still pretty looped on pain meds. he did drink some water from a small bowl in my hand tho. I carry these ceramic pyrex pudding bowls and he seems to prefer them over the stainless the vet uses. So they let him keep it.

It looks like I'll get to pick him up tomorrow morning. And I'll try to send pics by evening.

Jiffy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Awww, poor sad pup! Hope he is up and around soon! It is amazing how they can bounce back. We will be waiting on those pics!

Jiffy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Not trying to hijack your thread, but this video is kind of related to what you are going thru (or at least it reminds me of it)

This is a video about Phoenix, a pit puppy who was covered in fuel and set on fire and left for dead. It happened here in Greensboro NC, and was done by a 17 year old boy, 2 15 year olds, and a 10 year old.
Phoenix looked so horrible and sad a couple of weeks ago. If you watch the video to the end it shows a little bit of what he looked like to start with

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVGT1-ESbJ0

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
by a 17 year old boy, 2 15 year olds, and a 10 year old.

Children (and i use that term loosely) did that? How awful. *shudders to think about what else lurks in their minds*

And most likely got a slap on the wrist, some community service and a fine for doing it. Nice lesson in how NOT TO GET CAUGHT the next time, I'm sure.

I'm often troubled by the sadistically psychotic minds of society today. They seem to be like roaches.......lurking everywhere.

Jiffy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
They are supposed to go to court later this month. This just happened about 3 weeks or so ago.

Hope you dont mind me posting those, they just reminded me of how you say the pup looks so sad. Just wanted to show their determination.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
And the thing is that even with what people did to him...he will still love humans unconditionally. Poor puppy :'(

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
This is another reason you don't ever wanna break the law and wind up in jail. Sick little b@*%*ds like that are already there and you'll be locked up with them. Ugh makes me sick

HarveyGalesJr073010.jpg

Face of a sick and violent individual. I'm pretty sure that's how serial killers get started out, torturing poor little defenseless animals.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well he's been doctored pretty good. He still has one large open wound that has to heal on it's own. it gaped too wide to stitch. There were several that were glued and a couple stitched.
Today the site of the amputation was weeping, so I called the vet and he's going back in tomorrow.

Here's the pics of how he looks now.
102_3878.jpg

102_3877.jpg

102_3874.jpg

102_3881.jpg

In the last pic, his tail was wagging 100 miles per minute. ;D

Jiffy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Oh, the poor sweet dog! He is adorable! It really was so great of you to take him in and get him taken care of. I am sure he will make someone a great pet!
I want to give him puppy kisses!

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Seems the pup is doing well with it's second shot. Who knows maybe he might grow on you..... Really cute dog for sure.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Poor baby. I wish I could take him when he is all better. He is so adorable and is going to make such a wonderful pet for someone.

Latest posts