• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding amount

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hey guys, I'm wondering at what age is it okay to begin doing one feeding a day?
Spyra is only about 4 1/2-5months old but she's just so energetic throughout the day it's hard to have her sit still long enough to eat. Around 6-7ish she calms down and usually eats 30-50 roaches, 5-10 Phoenix worms, and 2-3 supers. She has recently started eating more of her salads in the mornings as well. I want her to eat 2 meals but it's impossible to get her to sit still. She's constantly on the go and to over stimulated to focus on food throughout the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
If I make her stay in her cage to try to feed her in there this is what she does to her enclosure in a matter of a few seconds
72e744ca21e64fa94b36012aa05bbdd8.jpg

Any longer than a minute and that rock would be completely flipped over, veggies would be everywhere, and her vines would be on the floor

JUNGLE JIM

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Temper tantrum, sounds like a couple of my kids when they were little. Sheila runs through her greens scattering it all over. She likes making me work cleaning up after her. Spyra still needs her protein at least twice a day somehow. but if they refuse than there isn't much you can do. See if she will eat outside of her cage like a plastic tub. All three of mine will eat dubia while in a plastic tub. Wish they felt the same about crickets.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
She is a brat sometimes [emoji23]

I have tried tubs(within a second she's cage dancing in it), the window sill..even the bed and the floor. She just won't stop moving long enough to eat. When I sit her bugs down she tramples them. She killed 2 roaches today by running over top of their bowl. I did manage to get her to eat about 5 through out the day by hand feeding. It's like she will eat one than her mind wonders off and she forgets she is eating lol.
I will keep working with her and hopefully she will eventually be hungry enough to eat a full meal twice a day again.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I think I figured out the problem. She's refusing everything but supers, so I think I'm going to cut them out until she's eating like she should again

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I think I figured out the problem. She's refusing everything but supers, so I think I'm going to cut them out until she's eating like she should again

Ha! The same thing happened to Wally months ago! Hydry31 was who gave me the strength to go 3 days without feeding him until he finally starting eating dubia's & BSFL's. Now I don't have a problem with them. But he knows he has to eat other things, he will take a bite or 2 of salad and then look at me like okay I'm ready now! It's adorable. But I never had the running around bit, not sure what that is. I'm thinking if it's puberty then Wally should be following in Spyra's footsteps. If he starts acting like that you will be the first one I contact.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
When we had to feed nothing but supers for a few days I think that's what did it lol. But she's coming around slowly but surely. She is a spoiled brat, I'm just going to say it lol. She expects open access to the house 24/7 or she's mad lol. We contacted the vet and he said shes just a curious baby :) he said we are most likely seeing an increase in energy due to her medication. He was actually pleased to hear she is so full of energy :)

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
When we had to feed nothing but supers for a few days I think that's what did it lol. But she's coming around slowly but surely. She is a spoiled brat, I'm just going to say it lol. She expects open access to the house 24/7 or she's mad lol. We contacted the vet and he said shes just a curious baby :) he said we are most likely seeing an increase in energy due to her medication. He was actually pleased to hear she is so full of energy :)

I just had to call the vet myself for a different reason. Not sure if I would be happy that she is that energetic. Only a week to go for last dose, correct? Let's hope once she's off the meds she will calm down.

She not spoiled, she just LOVED!!!!! Lmao

Maddie

Juvenile Dragon
As Rae mentioned, we talked to our vet and he said she's still too young for puberty. When we went last time he lifted up her tail and he said he could barely see her "privates" therefore she is still too young to go through puberty. He seems to think she's just feeling better from the medication and being a typical child full of energy lol.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I just had to call the vet myself for a different reason. Not sure if I would be happy that she is that energetic. Only a week to go for last dose, correct? Let's hope once she's off the meds she will calm down.

She not spoiled, she just LOVED!!!!! Lmao

She's very loved and she knows we are suckers that can't say no to her lol. Yes, next week she gets her last dose.
It's got it's pros and cons, the cons are obvious but at the same time I love her playful energy. She's a pleasure to take places because of it and always has an audience :) nothing makes me happier than to see her come running off her basking log and start scratching on her door when I walk into the room. And while roaming she always finds me and jumps onto my leg like "I want to sit with you momma" it's too cute.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Oh and she absolutely loves TV [emoji23] I'm not sure if it's the movement or sounds but that and the window are her favorite two things. We now leave the tv on for her when we are gone

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Did the vet tell you what age they go thru puberty?

She just wants to be a part of the family. Lol

How is going with the dogs? Well… the male dog?

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
He didn't say an exact age, wish I would've asked. He just said that when he saw her he remembered her genitala being barely visible which means she's most likely too young for anything like that. I will ask him next time I speak with him, he's awesome! He raises iguanas and beardies which makes us like him even more lol.
She wants to rule the family [emoji23] and she kind of does smh

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I'm pleased to say someone just ate 50 roaches and a few BSFL :) hopefully she keeps it up and the hunger strike is over

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
That's impressive! It's about time! What size are you feeding her? I bet her belly is big! Lol

We recently changed to the large cuz he was eating 50 at a time 3 times a day. Now he only eats 10 at a time! Big difference!!

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
We have a mixed batch right now 1/2"-1" (some a little bigger and smaller). And yes her belly is huge lol. I only give 20-25 at a time now but since she hasn't been eating great we went ahead and gave extras to make up for missed meals.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
She also had 2 hornworms today but they are super small. We are letting them grow some before we feed anymore

Latest posts