• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Waxworms

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Not going to hurt. You want to feed your supers the greens that you feed your beardies. I find that collards make them smell a little more than other veggie but whenever i make my salads for the week I save the stems and give them to my supers during the week.

Awesome thank you. I had no idea it was actually good to "gut load" them, thought I was just compensating lol. That's a huge plus! I like insects that I can actually feed before giving to Spyra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
That is exactly the same reason I like insects that I can feed lol. my girl is the same way other than a nibble here and there

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She will be fine eating super's they chew them up really well and typically they bite them in half right away, just go slow at first and see how she does with them, you can get smaller sized supers and I know I just got some the other day and there were some smaller ones in the container... what they come in is wheat bran and you don't put them in the fridge just room temp. I typically have 500-1000 at a time of them and I make sure they have several inches of wheat bran and I will put a piece of cardboard on top of the bran and put a plastic lid with a piece of veggie in there for them to munch on. Just remember what they eat your beardie eats..
waxworms are crack for dragon's they love them so I only give them 10 at a time 1-2 times a week..
If they decide they like the fatty worms better yep some tough love is in order.. both of mine have to eat some greens before they get bugs..

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
She will be fine eating super's they chew them up really well and typically they bite them in half right away, just go slow at first and see how she does with them, you can get smaller sized supers and I know I just got some the other day and there were some smaller ones in the container... what they come in is wheat bran and you don't put them in the fridge just room temp. I typically have 500-1000 at a time of them and I make sure they have several inches of wheat bran and I will put a piece of cardboard on top of the bran and put a plastic lid with a piece of veggie in there for them to munch on. Just remember what they eat your beardie eats..
waxworms are crack for dragon's they love them so I only give them 10 at a time 1-2 times a week..
If they decide they like the fatty worms better yep some tough love is in order.. both of mine have to eat some greens before they get bugs..

Thank you Hdrydr,
We wanted to order small supers to start with but since we were out of choices we went ahead and got full sized ones. There are some that are much smaller in the group so we picked one of them out just to try it out and see how she does. She chewed it very well and overall I think she handled it like a pro lol.
For future reference I will keep the wheat brain in mind. We only have 24 left now and they are literally living in a container full of shredded collard greens. Since the place we got them from gave them to us in a plastic bag, it was the only thing I could think to turn into a substrate for them.

The wax worms came in a container with what looks like a very small amount of wood shavings as a substrate. I put a piece of collard green in for them as well. Not completely sure if I should be feeding them?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you Hdrydr,
We wanted to order small supers to start with but since we were out of choices we went ahead and got full sized ones. There are some that are much smaller in the group so we picked one of them out just to try it out and see how she does. She chewed it very well and overall I think she handled it like a pro lol.
For future reference I will keep the wheat brain in mind. We only have 24 left now and they are literally living in a container full of shredded collard greens. Since the place we got them from gave them to us in a plastic bag, it was the only thing I could think to turn into a substrate for them.

The wax worms came in a container with what looks like a very small amount of wood shavings as a substrate. I put a piece of collard green in for them as well. Not completely sure if I should be feeding them?

you can also use oatmeal... just be careful with the collard greens they can really make them smell and also mold will set in quick. yes you can feed them the same stuff as you feed the beardie just watch for mold

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Wow, she inhaled that super! Didn't even touch the plate! Then was looking around like "more? Please?"
Haha yes she did. I made the mistake of sitting the see through container full of them wiggling around where she could see them. She went nuts! She was cage dancing forever until I let her out thinking she just wanted to play. she ran right to the container. That's when I realized "oops! Didn't know you could see them" so I had to give her one :)

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
you can also use oatmeal... just be careful with the collard greens they can really make them smell and also mold will set in quick. yes you can feed them the same stuff as you feed the beardie just watch for mold

I will be sure to change it daily. Sucks for me though, I'm very scared of supers lol. I'm to the point I will pick a Dubia or Phoenix worm up no problem. But these guys are creepy!

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
So I'm thinking the superworms are a yes. She just used the bathroom and everything appeared to be properly digested. Looks like Spyra can now take on supers [emoji5]

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So I'm thinking the superworms are a yes. She just used the bathroom and everything appeared to be properly digested. Looks like Spyra can now take on supers [emoji5]

The one thing with supers is once they get on them they really like them so keep a variety and know that sometimes their pooping schedule will change at times where they used to go every day some go to every other...so freq may change.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
The one thing with supers is once they get on them they really like them so keep a variety and know that sometimes their pooping schedule will change at times where they used to go every day some go to every other...so freq may change.

Thank you for that info. I did noticed she went again today. This time it was just a very small piece off poo and a lot of water. and no urate. I still didn't notice any pieces of undigested food so I'm assuming it's ok?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you for that info. I did noticed she went again today. This time it was just a very small piece off poo and a lot of water. and no urate. I still didn't notice any pieces of undigested food so I'm assuming it's ok?

she sounds nice and hydrated then.. and if she already went I'm not surprised if little actual urate was there but the liquid is fine..just keep an eye on her and how many you give and make sure she stays hydrated and pooping

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
she sounds nice and hydrated then.. and if she already went I'm not surprised if little actual urate was there but the liquid is fine..just keep an eye on her and how many you give and make sure she stays hydrated and pooping

That is good to know thank you so much. We did give her a bath last night since she's going through a shed and she took a few more licks of water than usual from the mist bottle. I was worried about dehydration so hearing you say that eases my mind a little

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That is good to know thank you so much. We did give her a bath last night since she's going through a shed and she took a few more licks of water than usual from the mist bottle. I was worried about dehydration so hearing you say that eases my mind a little

The more hydrated they are typically the bigger the white urate however when they go multiple times per day you may see less white urate and more liquid... NOW if it gets on the soft side then you need to adjust

JUNGLE JIM

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Everything that I put in my salad for the beardies I feed my crickets and supers. My smallest girl wouldn't touch the supers but found out that she will eat the freshly molted white supers so I dig through the container to find them. The others don't care what color they are. Supers really like bran flakes, yellow squash, eat collards and carrots but don't care for sweet peppers too much. I purchase mine a thousand at a time like my crickets but may start getting 2000 crickets since 1000 only last a week. Thinking of buying a couple hundred medium dubias and see how long they last.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Everything that I put in my salad for the beardies I feed my crickets and supers. My smallest girl wouldn't touch the supers but found out that she will eat the freshly molted white supers so I dig through the container to find them. The others don't care what color they are. Supers really like bran flakes, yellow squash, eat collards and carrots but don't care for sweet peppers too much. I purchase mine a thousand at a time like my crickets but may start getting 2000 crickets since 1000 only last a week. Thinking of buying a couple hundred medium dubias and see how long they last.

So far she seems to love them and handle them very well. Thanks for the suggestions on what to feed them I appreciate it. Looks like we are going to have to start ordering more for her :)

I use to feed crickets and switched to dubias. I found that my girl will go through just as many. The higher price doesn't help much either. I'm working on getting a better variety of insects to feed that way she doesn't go through the Dubia so fast

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My female loves fresh molted supers and really loves fresh molted Dubia's lol I feed my supers and dubia the same salad as my dragon's as well. Having a dubia colony was the best thing I ever done to be honest....Haven't bought any in almost a year! The nice thing about them is now that both of mine are older eating 2-5 of them is plenty for the protein for the day..It's a great way to bring down the numbers of adult males also just cut the wings off as they don't offer anything anyways and can cause digestion issues.. But they love those meaty juicy dubia for sure!! lol and my wallet sure does love not having to buy them anymore having a happy productive colony..

JUNGLE JIM

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I just bought 200 medium dubias for $18 including shipping. Wife won't allow me to start a colony but ordering small amounts she will tolerate. These will be treats but won't last long when you are feeding five dragons and two leopard geckos. Wish I could start a colony, maybe getting her used to having them around and seeing how much the beardies like them will help change her mind.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I just bought 200 medium dubias for $18 including shipping. Wife won't allow me to start a colony but ordering small amounts she will tolerate. These will be treats but won't last long when you are feeding five dragons and two leopard geckos. Wish I could start a colony, maybe getting her used to having them around and seeing how much the beardies like them will help change her mind.
Oh I understand I had a very hard time deciding to have them.. Once I got over the idea that they were not like normal roaches and they don't live very long outside of their tubs... I still don't like them and it still creeps me out when they cling on to your hand man they are super grippy... lol I have to resist the urge to fling them across the room when they won't get off my hands.. lol But they are soo good for our critters :)

Latest posts