• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Waxworms

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
When I feed him supers I usually do 2 1/2 hours but that's me being over paranoid. Lol he probably doesn't need the extra 30 mins but oh well.

I agree with you on the colony. As Lacey is eating a ton now and Wally is eating like 100 dubia's a day but he's ready for a bigger size. We don't have the room either but I'm going to have to make room cuz I can't afford this! I just ordered the bigger size so let's see how many he eats now. Fat a$$ Wally! Lol

I meant to ask you guys how little bit was doing. Glad to hear she adjusted so quick and well and is packing the food away. Those little ones can really put a hurting on some insects.
I know exactly how you feel about the money situation. The place we were getting our roaches from sold us "smalls" that were really what I would call medium or close to it. Too big for a baby but now too small for Spyra. We had been getting away with getting mediums for the price of nymphs but unfortunately we HAVE to go up a size now. And I've noticed the bigger they are the more pricey they are. It sucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I meant to ask you guys how little bit was doing. Glad to hear she adjusted so quick and well and is packing the food away. Those little ones can really put a hurting on some insects.
I know exactly how you feel about the money situation. The place we were getting our roaches from sold us "smalls" that were really what I would call medium or close to it. Too big for a baby but now too small for Spyra. We had been getting away with getting mediums for the price of nymphs but unfortunately we HAVE to go up a size now. And I've noticed the bigger they are the more pricey they are. It sucks

I saw that too, how expensive they are the bigger they get! We are seriously talking about starting a colony. If we do one I know it takes about 4-6 months before you can start taking away from it for feeders but once it gets going in about 6 months if you are still doing dubia's I will hook you up. Well…… I'll hook up Wally's gurl!!

We got the same thing small to medium but too big for Lacey but Wally is eating 30-45 at a time 3 times a day! Now some of them are really small - to me they shouldn't even count as 1 cuz they are so small. Lol

Yea Lacey is eating dubia's and BSFL's on her own. The only problem I see is she likes to just hang on the greens over on the cool side. We've got greens on both sides but I think she might be able to see Wally from that vantage point?!
Greens as in plastic plants.
Thank you for asking about her.

Anthony Radford

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Also (I know I'm on a roll with all of these questions today lol sorry) will we need to do anything special for the superworms? Like gut load, or refrigerate them?

No problem with the questions - that's what we're all here for... nothing special needs to be done with the supers. No gut loading is needed, and DO NOT refrigerate them! I think you can dust them if you like, but that's your call.

As far as how many, I would say as few as possible- maybe 5 to 10 at a time? As they are higher in chitin than Dubias...

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I saw that too, how expensive they are the bigger they get! We are seriously talking about starting a colony. If we do one I know it takes about 4-6 months before you can start taking away from it for feeders but once it gets going in about 6 months if you are still doing dubia's I will hook you up. Well…… I'll hook up Wally's gurl!!

We got the same thing small to medium but too big for Lacey but Wally is eating 30-45 at a time 3 times a day! Now some of them are really small - to me they shouldn't even count as 1 cuz they are so small. Lol

Yea Lacey is eating dubia's and BSFL's on her own. The only problem I see is she likes to just hang on the greens over on the cool side. We've got greens on both sides but I think she might be able to see Wally from that vantage point?!
Greens as in plastic plants.
Thank you for asking about her.

That would be awesome we would buy them off of you guys if/when yaw have extras. You guys could post em up on the web and just go like 1buck under the cheapest price and have a gold mine (I've often thought about it lol) and I see on Instagram they are in high demand.
I'm so happy to hear she is doing so well, she's a healthy baby. In a few weeks she's really going to be putting them down.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
That would be awesome we would buy them off of you guys if/when yaw have extras. You guys could post em up on the web and just go like 1buck under the cheapest price and have a gold mine (I've often thought about it lol) and I see on Instagram they are in high demand.
I'm so happy to hear she is doing so well, she's a healthy baby. In a few weeks she's really going to be putting them down.

Shhhh don't say that!! I had to talk him into a second beardie and now she's eating like a piggy!! Lol

Not sure if I really want to sell them like a business but I don't mind helping you guys out cuz I'm not looking to make money. I just wanted to help out Wally's gurl and get rid of the excess.

I really don't have that much time on my hands! Lol plus I think I would have to have a permit or license to sell online but I honestly don't know.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
No problem with the questions - that's what we're all here for... nothing special needs to be done with the supers. No gut loading is needed, and DO NOT refrigerate them! I think you can dust them if you like, but that's your call.

As far as how many, I would say as few as possible- maybe 5 to 10 at a time? As they are higher in chitin than Dubias...

Thank you! Unfortunately the pet shop we went to gave us the supers in a bag plastic bag like they were crickets or something. From now on I will be driving the extra few minutes to get them from petsmart.
I have absolutely nothing laying around we could use as a substrate for them. (No oatmeal or any type of grain). Thankfully we only got 2 dozen to start with. I shredded some of Spyras collard greens in tiny pieces to use as a substrate and put that and them in an old BSFL container. I'm praying this will be okay

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thank you! Unfortunately the pet shop we went to gave us the supers in a bag plastic bag like they were crickets or something. From now on I will be driving the extra few minutes to get them from petsmart.
I have absolutely nothing laying around we could use as a substrate for them. (No oatmeal or any type of grain). Thankfully we only got 2 dozen to start with. I shredded some of Spyras collard greens in tiny pieces to use as a substrate and put that and them in an old BSFL container. I'm praying this will be okay

Do you have any dry cat or dog food you could crush up? Let me go ask Tony what he thinks you could use. BRB

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
What about plain crackers or cereal crushed up. He thinks the collard greens will be okay since you only got 24 of them.

Do you have a container to put them in? If so make sure you poke holes in the top!

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
What about plain crackers or cereal crushed up. He thinks the collard greens will be okay since you only got 24 of them.

Do you have a container to put them in? If so make sure you poke holes in the top!

Ok awesome! We only have gram crackers and fruity pebbles haha, they would either be in heaven or all be dead tomorrow. I used one of the old BSFL containers thankfully I saved one. I poked holes in the top so hopefully they will be okay. They are eating their collard green substrate though lol. Lesson learned, never buying at this pet shop again. At first they tried to sell us giant meal worms! Told us she "needs" them for protein. I'm thinking, lady take a lunch break and bring me the supers like I asked lol

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Wow! Mealworms are not good for protein! I hate pet store employees and how uneducated they are!

I think they will be fine in the greens. Just keep an eye on them.

I want to know how Spyra likes them. You have to let me know if she goes crazy for them like Wally does!

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Wow! Mealworms are not good for protein! I hate pet store employees and how uneducated they are!

I think they will be fine in the greens. Just keep an eye on them.

I want to know how Spyra likes them. You have to let me know if she goes crazy for them like Wally does!

We gave in and gave her one tonight. She seen the container they were in by mistake and went nuts so we had to lol. She loved it! She kept looking down at her "plate" like another please. She's basking it off now, so hopefully her poo is good tomorrow.

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
We gave in and gave her one tonight. She seen the container they were in by mistake and went nuts so we had to lol. She loved it! She kept looking down at her "plate" like another please. She's basking it off now, so hopefully her poo is good tomorrow.

Yea, with only one she will be fine! I told you she would love them!

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
You were definitely right glad We listened to you guys. We tried one wax worm to. They are weird! Like there is no outer shell on them what so ever. And they feel like a blob of fat lol. She seemed to like it okay though

mxw0rld

Bearded Dragon Veteran
You were definitely right glad We listened to you guys. We tried one wax worm to. They are weird! Like there is no outer shell on them what so ever. And they feel like a blob of fat lol. She seemed to like it okay though

I haven't tried wax worms yet but I might be getting some this weekend if my order doesn't come tomorrow!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
If you only have 24 worms you can just put them in a big container for right now with some greens for them to eat. Dry cat food and dog food have too much phosphorus and cereals and such have too much sugar. Remember, you are what you eat!

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
If you only have 24 worms you can just put them in a big container for right now with some greens for them to eat. Dry cat food and dog food have too much phosphorus and cereals and such have too much sugar. Remember, you are what you eat!

Thank you Patsy. That's kind of what I was thinking when I put the collard greens in with them. I pretty much filled the container with it to use as an edible substrate. Wasn't sure if it would hurt the supers as I have 0 experience with them and haven't done my research. I know every species is different and what's good for some insects may be bad for others. But I figured at least that won't hurt my girl which is my main concern.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Not going to hurt. You want to feed your supers the greens that you feed your beardies. I find that collards make them smell a little more than other veggie but whenever i make my salads for the week I save the stems and give them to my supers during the week.

Latest posts