• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Observations/ Questions

Alan_G30

Hatchling Dragon
Hey all, this is my dunner bearded dragon, Timo and his setup. I’ve had him for about a week now. He’s apparently 4 1/2 months old and his personality is pretty sporadic. The middle of the tank temps read around 84-85 and the left side 80, right side seems to only get to around 92. I’ve noticed he likes to go back and fourth from basking on his log to all the way in the far left back corner and nap. He’s been eating 8-10 crickets a day and eats lettuce here and there. I’d like to get his basking area closer to 100 and for him to eat a little more. Any input, suggestions, feedback, etc. is welcomed. Thanks!
IMG_1435.jpeg
IMG_1391.jpeg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey all, this is my dunner bearded dragon, Timo and his setup. I’ve had him for about a week now. He’s apparently 4 1/2 months old and his personality is pretty sporadic. The middle of the tank temps read around 84-85 and the left side 80, right side seems to only get to around 92. I’ve noticed he likes to go back and fourth from basking on his log to all the way in the far left back corner and nap. He’s been eating 8-10 crickets a day and eats lettuce here and there. I’d like to get his basking area closer to 100 and for him to eat a little more. Any input, suggestions, feedback, etc. is welcomed. Thanks!
View attachment 34529View attachment 34531
Pretty boy/ girl- the surface basking temp should be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- the uvb on top of screen is a T 5? If so the screen will determine the placement and distance - screens block approx 30% of the rays-- so is the screen a fine mesh or wide hole type?

Alan_G30

Hatchling Dragon
Pretty boy/ girl- the surface basking temp should be 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- the uvb on top of screen is a T 5? If so the screen will determine the placement and distance - screens block approx 30% of the rays-- so is the screen a fine mesh or wide hole type?
UVB light is Zoo Med's 10.0 strength And basking light is a 100 watt zoo med light.

Alan_G30

Hatchling Dragon
UVB light is Zoo Med's 10.0 strength And basking light is a 100 watt zoo med light.
image.jpg
Here is an overhead view. I have a temp gun I use, and the warmest spots tend to only show up in the mid 90’s. He really likes to stay in his skull cave though

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You may haft to increase wattage but you need to get the temp w/ a digital probe thermometer- stick ons are inaccurate and give ambient temps only- what is the screen on the tank?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
that is a wide hole screen you can leave it on top and have the basking decor directly under it 8-10 inches -- I would get the digital probe thermometers IR guns can be off especially w some basking decor materials - it will throw them off -- he should be basking all the time as little as he is so this tells me something is off --

Alan_G30

Hatchling Dragon
that is a wide hole screen you can leave it on top and have the basking decor directly under it 8-10 inches -- I would get the digital probe thermometers IR guns can be off especially w some basking decor materials - it will throw them off -- he should be basking all the time as little as he is so this tells me something is off --

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
@Sadie This tends to be his favorite area, far away from the basking light View attachment 34533
He needs to be basking most of his awake time- what is the brand of the basking bulb your using? I would do some rearranging of the decor --- take your stick decor thats in the middle of the tank and place it under the basking lamp w/ the long stick part on the floor of the tank so the thick trunk part is under the lamp get a digital probe thermometer place it on the trunk part under the lamp and get the temp -- 105-110--- take the piece thats under the lamp now and put directly under the UVB get the distance it needs to be 8-10 inches -

Alan_G30

Hatchling Dragon
He needs to be basking most of his awake time- what is the brand of the basking bulb your using? I would do some rearranging of the decor --- take your stick decor thats in the middle of the tank and place it under the basking lamp w/ the long stick part on the floor of the tank so the thick trunk part is under the lamp get a digital probe thermometer place it on the trunk part under the lamp and get the temp -- 105-110--- take the piece thats under the lamp now and put directly under the UVB get the distance it needs to be 8-10 inches -
Okay. He’s basking right now actually

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 14

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay. He’s basking right now actually
You want surface basking temps correct and the UVB placement and distance on par-- these things I am stressing about are crucial to the dragons survival ----------- please get the digital probe thermometers and get the actual surface basking temp- the stick ons in the tank are only giving ambient temps --

Alan_G30

Hatchling Dragon
You want surface basking temps correct and the UVB placement and distance on par-- these things I am stressing about are crucial to the dragons survival ----------- please get the digital probe thermometers and get the actual surface basking temp- the stick ons in the tank are only giving ambient temps --
Grabbing a digital probe thermometer now and will grab a 125 watt basking light just in case

Alan_G30

Hatchling Dragon
Grabbing a digital probe thermometer now and will grab a 125 watt basking light just in case
@Sadie so the surrounding area of the basking light is around 86 and directly under the direct basking spot is 92 and the coolest spot is 78 in furthest away area with a 100 watt basking bulb. Purchased a 150 watt one and will move up the decor closer as needed

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
@Sadie so the surrounding area of the basking light is around 86 and directly under the direct basking spot is 92 and the coolest spot is 78 in furthest away area with a 100 watt basking bulb. Purchased a 150 watt one and will move up the decor closer as needed
Ok so shoot for 105-110 surface basking temps that will increase the air temp around the basking area - what are you feeding for salads? No ice berg lettuce please

Alan_G30

Hatchling Dragon
Ok so shoot for 105-110 surface basking temps that will increase the air temp around the basking area - what are you feeding for salads? No ice berg lettuce please
Just regular romaine lettuce. Temps are 88-89 surrounding basking area and 97 directly underneath. Will move decor up another inch and it should be good at that point

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just regular romaine lettuce. Temps are 88-89 surrounding basking area and 97 directly underneath. Will move decor up another inch and it should be good at that point
Roamine is good -- I would offer other veggies as well --- http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale info it is outdated and a good staple feeder -- did you move any of the decor around as suggested- once you get the surface basking temps on par make sure that UVB is on par as well -- w/ distance etc

Alan_G30

Hatchling Dragon
Roamine is good -- I would offer other veggies as well --- http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale info it is outdated and a good staple feeder -- did you move any of the decor around as suggested- once you get the surface basking temps on par make sure that UVB is on par as well -- w/ distance etc
Everything is checking out to be near perfect, he seems to actually prefer the river rocks a little further down rather then the log now. Will probably have to re evaluate in a month as fall starts kicking in here in New Jersey. Thanks!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Everything is checking out to be near perfect, he seems to actually prefer the river rocks a little further down rather then the log now. Will probably have to re evaluate in a month as fall starts kicking in here in New Jersey. Thanks!
I would spot check the surface basking temps every couple of weeks or so -- UVB should be changed out in approx 10-11 months from date of install

Alan_G30

Hatchling Dragon
I would spot check the surface basking temps every couple of weeks or so -- UVB should be changed out in approx 10-11 months from date of install
I have an extra 100&150 watt basking bulb as well as an extra uvb one too. Also have a ceramic heat emitter bulb for when the winter months begin! I do have one more question though. So my beardie is only a little over 8” long and the breeder claims he was born in mid April. Isn’t that pretty small for his age?

Latest posts