• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Breeder. Some Questions.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am the one that wont sale earlier than 8 weeks, and most reputable breeders will not sale earlier than 6 weeks. Hell, most hatchlings havent even fully found their appetite till around 4 weeks. The 6 week minimum was established cause it gives them a few weeks to grow and get steady on their eating before being shipped out and shutting down for a bit due to relo stress

Rolandslf

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
CrypticDragons, I fully support the 6 week theory.
Nght_RideA, I am expecting your little one to hatch out any day now. I will naturally keep you informed.
Monique, You may just be right.

On a side note, I am picking up the third clutch of eggs this afternoon together with the Adult Male.

Talk about being thrown in the deep end. ;D

Nght_RideA

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
more eggs and a male !!! holy crap man hahahahaha
you seriously have your hands full now hey !
cant wait for those lil buggers to hatch ! they taking thier dam time !!

Rolandslf

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Situation Report.

I picked up the third clutch last night. They clearly show symptoms of an overbred female.
The clutch is smaller, the eggs are smaller, and there are a number of slugs in the clutch.
I will salvage what I can. The clutch size is 15 of which I have already thrown away 3.
I will keep you updated on progress with this clutch.
I picked up the male, whom my daughter named Bullet. I will post in another section on him.
Some pics.

Clutch one, soon to hatch.
DSC01666.jpg

Clutch two, about three weeks to hatch.
DSC01667.jpg

Clutch three, sad, but I will see what I can salvage.
DSC01665.jpg

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Awww that poor female.
Hope the lady at least gives her a well derved TLC and lots of suppliments. Her condition has to be way off by now.
Good luck on clutch 3.
And still waiting impatiently on clutch 1 to start hatching

Rolandslf

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks Monique.

I actually think my dates are off, I spoke to a few South African Breeders and they all said that the eggs would hatch at 52 days or so.
Guess what, we are on Day 54, with no sign of anything.

I can only but agree with what Tom says, 65 days' onwards. So, I reckon we have about another 10 days or so.

My patience is being well and truly tested.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Lets start a poll . . . . Ill see if I can figure it out and will post in this section

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Another 10 days?!? now we have to wait longer. aaaaaaaahhhhhhh

Rolandslf

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Sorry I haven't been around people, I have been in bed with Flu the whole week.

The little guys are little pocket rockets, they can sprint like cheetahs and jump like fleas, they definitely punch far above their size.
They love roaches, and are eating both Lobster and Pellidas Roaches at the moment. Of course dusted with Calcium and every third day D3. Surprisingly they love to eat Gem Squash, Carrott and Chick Weed. So yes they are growing well. They take roaches straight off the tweezers. The first batch is going to the Pet Shop this weekend. The Pet Shop wanted them at two weeks old. It is a Pet Shop who I have been supplying with baby snakes for the past 4 years, so I know and trust them.

Nght_RideA, I have sent you a pm, if you don't get it contact me on 071 605 1771, so that we can meet tomorrow.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Roland,

Will the pet shop continue to raise them for another 4 weeks before putting them up for sale? I can't imagine babies being ready for the public at just two weeks. I got Sam from my local breeder at 4 weeks and I thought even that was early. She was so tiny....but I was also fairly experienced by then having raised Frodo from 8 weeks old through his first year.

Rolandslf

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I agree with you. Before reading your comment this morning I have actually contacted the pet shops and told them to wait till the end of November which puts the babies at 4 to 5 weeks old.
I must say that they are quite big, I will do a post with pics on Monday.

I have noticed a few things which I have made note of.

When cold they go very dark in colour, this happens in the time I am feeding and they are in tubs out of the main enclosure.
While most take Roaches readily off the tweasers, some will only take prey that is moving on the ground.
They seem to sip moisture out of the cooked Gem Squash.

I actually think I am spending too much time with them, to be able to make such mundane observations.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I actually think I am spending too much time with them, to be able to make such mundane observations.

I think it is good. You can then provide the new owners with so much more detail. Like this baby eats from tongs, this one not, this one likes this and this one not.
Youre doing a good job.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Rolandslf said:
I agree with you. Before reading your comment this morning I have actually contacted the pet shops and told them to wait till the end of November which puts the babies at 4 to 5 weeks old.

I'm really happy to hear that! Kudos to you, Roland.

I have noticed a few things which I have made note of.

When cold they go very dark in colour, this happens in the time I am feeding and they are in tubs out of the main enclosure.

This is very normal. When cold, the dragons natural behavior is to darken in color to absorb more heat.

While most take Roaches readily off the tweasers, some will only take prey that is moving on the ground.

I'd suggest letting them hunt their prey. If they get too used to eating from tweezers, they could likely become lazy and not hunt at all. About the only time to feed from tweezers is when they're so sick they can't eat on their own. Not that it's bad once in a while, I just wouldn't recommend it on a regular basis.

Honestly, I don't think you can spend too much time with them unless it's affecting your personal relationships with family. ;)

Sounds like you're doing a great job, Roland....especially for being thrown into this so suddenly.

Rolandslf

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Monique and Craiger - Thanks for the positive comments.

The problem is that with 21 little boogers running around, I have set up a procedure for feeding whereby I can positively keep track of who has eaten and who not. Problem is that it involves feeding from the tweasers. Every now and then a roach or cricket will drop off the tongs onto the main enclosure floor, and boy, then it becomes Go Cart vs Dodgem, with everyone scrambling to get the prey item.
I have also noticed some arguments among them when food is running loose and 2 or 3 of them grab the same roach.

With the way I am coping in managing them, I can only thank the informative Members of the Forum, all of you.

It is going to be a sad, sad day when these little ones need to move to new homes. Not only for me, but for my whole family.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Maybe you could consider a small tub for feeding so you know how many each has eaten and they can have a chance at hunting. Worth a try....maybe even a few small tubs so you can feed more than one at a time. Just drop in a certain number of bugs and count what's left after feeding.

Rolandslf

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I currently feed them twice a day, and I feed each one 4 or 5 quarter sized crickets per meal.

Latest posts