• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Breeder. Some Questions.

Rolandslf

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
From my introductory post, I have literally been thrown in the deep end of Beardie Breeding.
As a result I have a few questions.

Setup History
25 Eggs cooking in the incubator at a slightly fluctuating temperature between 85F AND 88F, with humidity stable at 75%.

Question 1 - What is the highest temperature that Beardie Eggs can be incubated at?
Question 2 - What is the best Humidity Level to have?
Question 3 - How many days should I be looking at for hatchlings to arrive?
Question 4 - Does Humidity and Temperature affect hatchling sexes?

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Question 1 - What is the highest temperature that Beardie Eggs can be incubated at?
I typically incubate at 84 degrees. This tends to have my eggs hatching between 60-70 days after being laid. I would not go over 88 degrees personally but have seen people say on forums that they have incubated at higher levels. I would highly suggest against it though. It would be best/safest to stay middle of the road with your temps and try to stay in the 86 range

Question 2 - What is the best Humidity Level to have?
The numeric reading for humidity is suggested at 80%. But in all actuality you just need to watch your eggs and take ques from them. If your eggs are sweating and large amounts of condensation are forming or mold is growing your humidity is too high. If your eggs are denting prematurely your humidity is to low.

Question 3 - How many days should I be looking at for hatchlings to arrive?
Eggs can hatch early (around 50 days) or extremely late (saw one person with a clutch that hatched at 110 days). It all depends on your incubation style (ie temps, humidity, incubation medium, type of incubator, etc).

Question 4 - Does Humidity and Temperature affect hatchling sexes?
This is a question that I do not know the answer to. I know in some reptiles temp does affect sexing but so far in my experience I have had no variations on male to female ratio from different temps or temp fluctuations. There are others on this site that may be better suited to answering this question and may be able to shed more light on the subject. But as far as I know the short answer would be no.

Rolandslf

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Brian, Thank You Very Much for the replies to the individual questions. They are much appreciated.

I hope you do not mind the fact that I will be pushing your button a bit further down the line.

I can only rely on experienced people such as you because I know zilch about Lizards, never mind Beardies. Having said that, someone told me the other day that Beardies are the easiest of the Lizards to work with.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Rolandslf said:
Having said that, someone told me the other day that Beardies are the easiest of the Lizards to work with.

They are certainly one of the most docile! I believe that to be the reason they are so poplular.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Its not a problem. Im not the most experienced on here but any help I can give I will.

And yes beardies are one of the easiest lizards to deal with and they are a breeze to maintain once you get the habitat setup right.

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Paging WolfmanTom. An opportunity to impart some wisdom has arrived. Maybe if I type the word M.A.R.S. some little bell might go off in his headquarters.. :p

Rolandslf

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have decided to continue my Beardie egg post here because it does afterall concern Breeding.
I will post a new thread here.

Rolandslf

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
We are on Day 37, and after speaking to a couple of South African Beardie Breeders, about 14 days or so to go on clutch one.

DSC01613.jpg

We are on Day 21 with Clutch two so still about 30 days or so to go with this one.

DSC01615.jpg

Here is a pic of the two clutches in the incubator. Clutch one is on the right.

DSC01617.jpg

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Looking good. Not that I know what they should look like LOL :-\

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I bet the last 2 weeks are going to take forever for you. Almost there!!!!

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
boy oh boy you are really jumping in the deep end that is a lot of eggs for your first run lol.

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Justus85 said:
Paging WolfmanTom. An opportunity to impart some wisdom has arrived. Maybe if I type the word M.A.R.S. some little bell might go off in his headquarters.. :p

Not really sure on how to take this.
With as many people ive pulled out of the fire on 3 different forums Im almost offended.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
TheWolfmanTom said:
Justus85 said:

Not really sure on how to take this.
With as many people ive pulled out of the fire on 3 different forums Im almost offended.

im fairly sure he meant it as a joke.

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Yea just a little ribbin Tom :p Hadn't seen you on the boards much recently aside from plugs for M.A.R.S. like Brian said it was a joke.

Rolandslf

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
@ Nght_RideA - pm me. ;)

@ Brian - It is definitely a case of sink or swim, luckily I have all of you as my Water Wings. ;D

@ staylor - My patience is definitely being tested here, it is hard to resist the temptation to open the incubator every day to check on the eggs. :-\

Latest posts