• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

EMERGENCY, HELP - HE ATE A PEBBLE!

packfan74

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
OK - believe it or not, I am breathing....(@ least I'm trying to - u no us 1st timers, we're alittle excitable!).....BUT really don't like the thought of a possible Plan B, that's all.

Back @ ya tomorrow.....hopefully w/good news.

Cheers

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Because your dragon is near an adult size, it should be able to pass the pebble soon if not already. Keep monitoring him & keep us posted.

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i sent you a message with my phone number if you wish to call. i have alot of experience with this sort of thing and it would be alot easier to speak directly. if your not comfortable with that, let me know and ill do what i can here on the forum.:cool:

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Remember all replies are based on opinions learned from experience or reading what others have done. In the end what you do or don’t do will be your decision if you feel there is a serious problem then see a Vet. The last thing we want is for someone to lose a Dragon because of something they read on the forum. Good Luck hope he gets well.

packfan74

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
UP-DATE: He finally had a BM this afternoon! No pebble :(. Seriously stinky, loose and seaweed green/black (sorry for the visual). I can't feel the pebble anymore; last night I could but when I checked 1st thing this morning (8:00 AM), I couldn't....??

Bath @ 11:00 AM. After bath he did eat but only 3 supers. BM was around 1:00 PM. His belly still looks like a water balloon...like if I squeeze it he'll pop!

SOOO since he's eating and he's had 2 BMs in 4 days (he ate the pebble 5 days ago), do u still think he's good to go or what?

PS - Richard, I didn't get your message w/# - where did you send it? I don't mind talking.

shadowsong

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
my 43 cm female ate pebble too 2 days ago, i soak her while she was sunbathing. I left her only few seconds and when i got back she was already out of the water and eat pebble. i took her and opened her mouth, it's a small round pebble, she hadn't swallow it yet. i took a tweezers but it's quite difficult to take it and it's too late, she swallowed it. yesterday and today i soak her, she poop but there's still no pebble. i hope yours and mine can pass it.

packfan74

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Shadowsong,

My guy is on his way to the vet for x-rays tomorrow morning. He is obviously not feeling well (hiding under carpet in viv - putting himself to bed hours before normal time, etc.). Another Member on the forum (w/12 dragons) offered me a suggestion that was given to him by his vet that I'm going to try today. Instead of using olive oil mixed w/squash or pumpkin, his vet suggested administering straight cod liver oil.........although castor oil makes more sense to me but for now, I'll go w/the cod as recommended.

However, if he doesn't pass it and he needs emergency surgery to remove, I will have to give him up in order to help him. I can't afford a vet bill more than $200 (US) right now. X-rays r $100, exam, sedation & extraction can run $200-$300 more. Giving him up would result in the vet center treating him as a rescue which they would help but obviously I wouldn't get him back....:( Don't like this possibility but may not have a choice - I can't leave him in his current condition!

Hopefully your dragon's pebble is small and it will pass but word of advice is, don't let it go unchecked for too long. Watch her very closely!

BEST OF LUCK - I'm keeping my fingers crossed for u!!

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm thinking your dragon is going to be fine and he is just going into brumation . Let's hope all is well

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Im thinking it will be fine too but keep us posted. If surgery doese end up happening let us know.

shadowsong

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
packfan74, thanks for your suggestion, I'll try it if she cant pass it naturally, now i still hope she will pass it just by soak her everyday, this morning she poop and still no pebble. she looks fine and eat well, so i'm trying to calm down.

do BD normally eat small stones in the wild like birds do, in order to help digest? because my male BD did this too but i'd taken it before he swallowed it.

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
No birds have to eat stones to grind up the grain with there gizzard BD don't have a gizzard. They are just curious creatures that like to taste things

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Dragons will taste their surroundings to familiarize themselves with what's arround them. Sometimes, as owners we have to have to play the ''parent role'' & keep an eye on our kids 2 keep them safe & out of trouble.
I hope everything works out 4 the best with your dragons.

packfan74

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
UP-DATE: False Alarm!!.....x-rays came back negative for a pebble.....? (go figure). HOWEVER, vet did say that due to the length of time (6 days), the pebble may be farther down the GI and encased in waste by now, which would make it harder to pick-up on an x-ray. He's still eating and seems to be on an every other day BM schedule, so at least for the next day or two, I'm going to stick w/the cod liver oil and jared vegetables mixed w/Critical Care suggestion I was given.....(can't hurt).

I guess all is good even though my wallet is now $185.00 lighter and all I have to show for it is a CD w/pictures of a lizard tummy that's full of sh_t! Will say that we (my kids and I) are really happy that he's safe and still at home w/us - we love him :).

Cheers

shadowsong

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
packfan74: i'm not sure i get your words right, does it mean your dragon already pass it or it still in his tummy but covered by something? sorry for my bad english. mine still haven't passed it yesterday, dont know today, i can't soak her today.

packfan74

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Shadowsong,

Sorry for the delay. Botton line answer is - nobody knows for sure if the pebble is still there or not. I've not seen it come out. The x-rays don't show it. The vet said that by now, because it's been 6 days since he ate it, it could be so far down in his tummy that the x-rays would not pick it up cuz its too covered by his waste (poop). The vet said to still keep a close eye on him and to bring him back immediately if his tummy gets hard or if he stops eating.

He is eating and acting kinda normal so I'm not as worried as before. Today is Saturday, he had the x-ray done Thursday morning. He had a BM Thursday afternoon - no pebble. He's now had 3 BMs since he ate the rock - he's due for one today. So, my position is - either the rock broke apart and passed out in small pieces that I didn't notice OR there is no rock at all.

Either way, I'm glad I took him to the vet. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely hated spending $185.00 (US) on just x-rays (no exam, no lab work, no meds). But when you take on a pet (of any kind), you are making a solemn commitment to care for the life that you are now 100% responsible for. The pet relys on us for their safety and wellness and if we can not provide that without cause pain or suffering, then we have no business keeping pets (again, of any kind).

I'm sure you love your dragon, you wouldn't be on this forum looking for help if you didn't - so, if your girl has not passed the rock in 4-5 days and you are SURE she swallowed one, then I'd recommend seeing a vet soon. If she is still eating, pooping and otherwise acting normal, she is probably okay but a vet visit might make both of you feel better!

Best of luck

PS - I'll TRY to post pics of my dragon's x-rays.......my $185.00 bought me a CD w/TMI about my guy - lol!

Latest posts