• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

EMERGENCY, HELP - HE ATE A PEBBLE!

packfan74

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Just now during our sunning outside time on the patio, my dragon (14 months / 18 inches) ate a small pebble.......almost the size of a pea! - WHAT NOW?

Immediate vet visit?...or should I wait to see if he'll pass it? If I should wait, should I feed him today in hopes that it will pass sooner? If so, what should I feed?.......keep in mind he eats no salad, only baby food and supers.

OMG - Panicked.......he's never done this before!

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
At his size it should pass keep an eye on him for anything out of the norm..try throwing some cut up greens down where he ate the rock and see if he will taste them also

packfan74

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
OK - thanks. I'll wait it out a few days. I don't have any squash or acceptable greens this week but I do still have some frozen pumpkin from Halloween I saved for him. I cut it up into small cubes. I usually mircowave it for a few minutes, mash it up and feed it to him the way he eats all is veg - via dropper. Do u think pumpkin w/EVOO will work?

If not, I do have a jar of mixed veg. baby food that he's been eating this week; its a mix of peas, green beans, carrots and potato. OR, I have his jar fruit he just started (bananas & strawberries). If I add olive oil to one of these, will that also work?

packfan74

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
UPDATE: Took Fliehigh's suggestion and fed mashed-up cooked pumpkin w/olive oil (EVOO) - about 1.5 tablespoons Thursday evening. He had a large BM the next morning but sadly there was no pebble :(. I fed him 3 times yesterday (mixed jar veg and wax worms coated w/EVOO), he ate fine. I also gave him 2 warm soaks and massaged his tummy from chin to vent but no further BMs :(.

Today (Saturday) he took straight EVOO via his dropper (about 1/2 teaspoon). Followed it up w/a tablespoon of his jar fruit (bananas & strawberries). Later today he'll get more veg (he only gets protein everyother day). No BM yet. Getting nervous - HOW MUCH LONGER SHOULD I WAIT ?

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Mine was plugged up for a few days. It took constant attention but got it worked out. Do you feel any lumps in his belly? Are you positive it ate a pebble? You should be able to feel it if it is impacted.

packfan74

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey Brett,

No I don't feel anything in his belly. No, I didn't see it happen myself, my son was w/him - he wouldn't say something like this unless it really happened - he loves "his" dragon and is VERY upset about the possibility that this might not turn out well. He's been crying every nite.....so sad that this happened on my son's watch.

Guess I'm not a good doctor - I do the breast self exam thing too and never can tell what the heck I'm feeling on myself, let alone in a dragon!

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
well i wouldn't worry to much who knows perhaps it was something else that looked like a rock or maybe he licked but it flew off to the side a bit where he couldn't see it. Guess im not sure on the bigger dragons I've never had to deal with impaction on them but i have had 2 juvies with it and it was very obvious when you rubbed above there vent it was really hard, they wernt pooping or eating. As long as its eating and having BM you should be good.

packfan74

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
SUNDAY @ 6:00 PM: Well, I don't think we're out of the woods just yet. He ate well today (8 dusted supers) BUT he also is trying to hide more!! Not sunning, laying on the bottom of viv under his sunning log. Not normal for him; he usualy hangs out on top of his logs - either cool side or hot side, rarely on bottom (not even when sleeping). PLUS, when I get him out, he explores the room until he finds a dark corner, where he'll crul up and try to sleep (at 3 o'clock in the afternoon!). He did not have a heavy meal yesterday - all veg, in total about 3 tablespoons spread out over the whole day, ending around 5:00, with lights out around 8:00 PM; plenty of time to digest.

Before he ate today, I gave his a warm 15 minute soak and massaged his tummy (still don't feel anything). Afterwards, he wolfed down the 8 supers. Sadly, no BM....nothing since Friday morning.....:( He's making me super worried!

packfan74

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
about 85 cool side, 95-98 hot side. spot light auto stuts off around 100F for a few minute...room temp is about 78-80. I'm still taking him outside for short periods (20-30 minutes twice a day). Outside temps are about 100-105F.

NEWS FLASH: I feel the pebble! It is right by his vent (at least I think it's the pebble; hope it's not his jewels; think that would make me a lizardfile - lol). If I do feel it, is that a good sign?...meaning is it in a good spot?.....does it mean he may pass it tomorrow?

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thats what im guessg in its almost there hopefully its small enought to pass through. try massaging it in warm water working it twards the vent. dont get to rough you dont want to hurt him

packfan74

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Well, it's almost 11:00 PM here and he's sound asleep (he looks so cute!). I'll wait until he wakes up in the AM (round 7:30 AM). FYI - before I put him to bed, I gave him a few drops of straight olive oil. He took it fine but not very much. I'll up date u in the AM - keep ur fingers crossed!

packfan74

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
What if it's stuck? Would he need surgery? Do vets do that? Do dragons survive surgery? Can't image how expensive surgery would be........it's $100 (US) just to take him in for an office visit!!! I spent over $300 (US) last winter when he just had parasites!

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Ouch thats a spendy vet. Yes if you have a good herp doc im sure the can do surgery with a good success of him surviving. cost could get pricey. But first i would calm down a bit take a deep breath and let mother nature take its course if its to the vent its working its way out so im sure you will be fine. If its moveing through its system i would think he should be able to pass it. The fact thats hes still eating even though its not as much is a good sign, I wouldnt get to excited unless he stops eating.