• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Egg ???

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
My female laid eggs on the 12th and there starting to turn yellow on top. I have incubating at 84degrees and humidy is around 60. Am i doing somthing wrong or are the infertile.
100_0755.jpg

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
ya thats what i thought i candle them and didnt see anything. This is my first batch of eggs and i made a few mistakes. But now im prepared for the next cluch

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
wrong substrate in the laying box and just keeping things a sterile as possile

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Breeding requires research, preparation & is something that shouldn't be rushed n2. Good luck in the future.

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
ya no i agree i was caught a little off gaurd on that one for sure did my research got my laying box ready and im prepared this time. Im guessing she will e laying soon agian from the looks of her

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If she is going to lay again soon, have your incubator set-up in advance with correct temperature & humidity.

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Got her set up. This is basicaly what im going off please free free to add your comments on anything i should do different.

I know that some of the folks on the list have a formula for the ratio of vermiculite to water. However, I discovered
as I searched the garden center for vermiculite that all vermiculite is not created equal (or at least not packaged in an
identical state of hydration.) So.....I poured an appropriate volume of vermiculite into the egg-laying box to give me a
depth of about 10 inches. Then i started adding pre-boiled water (cooled down) to the vermiculite, kneaded the
vermiculite/water mix, added more water, and kept mixing and adding until I'd added just enough water that the
vermiculite would hold its shape when squeezed into a ball.
I discovered that some vermiculite in the K-mart garden center was already moistened, but also smelled a little nasty
(so I didn't buy it). The stuff I used was purchased from Wal-Mart, Schultz brand, and was sold in sealed bags. Very clean
and worked well. It was also completely dry.
Do you need to use boiled water to moisten the vermiculite? Probably not.....clean tap water should be fine, but I wanted
to cut down on contamination as much as possible. It seemed to work.....I didn't have any eggs from the first two clutches
become moldy.
I use plastic food storage containers for incubation....either square or rectangular...about 4" wide x 6 " long x 2-
21/2" deep. I fill the box about half full of the moistened vermiculite. Before placing the eggs in the box, I dig a shallow
depression for each egg (using a rubber-gloved finger), then transfer each egg to the box, using rubber gloves. I candle my
eggs with a small flashlight before putting them in the box so that I can position the clear side up. (The eggs will be
positioned on their sides.) Before covering the box with its lid, I drill 5-8 small holes in the lid to allow air circulation.
The holes are probably 1/16"-1/8 in diameter. Then I put the containers in the incubator......and wait.
Make sure that you allow at least 24 hours for the temperatures to stabilize before you transfer the eggs. Also, make
sure you are using an accurate thermometer. The one I received with my hovababor was not accurate! I use a digital
thermometer/humidity gauge from Radio Shack (about $24 US).

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
In the lay box I would use a mixture of potting soil & sand, dampen with water. Adding warm water '' Not Boiling'' to vermiculite is done to help with the temp & humidity. Not much room for error or a big window of opportunity to work with when getting eggs out of the lay-box & into the incubator. The temperature of the eggs shouldn't change that much.

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
have your incubator setup and running well before the eggs are laid like days or more. When you dig up the eggs how much time has passed if it has been around an hour or so just lay them on there side if it has been a long time (I can't remember the time limit) they need to be placed in the same position you dug them up in.

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
well i was reading not to use potting soil cuz it can harvest bacteria wich can cause the eggs to mold. What particular brand of potting soil do you use and do you u use just playsand. What do you mix it at 50/50 Guess ive read so much and so many different ways seem to be done not sure what way to go. last time i used potting soil and the eggs came out so dirty. can you rinse them with water or is that bad thing to do

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would also recommend putting a basking light over the lay-box to keep her temps up & the substrate's temp as well. She's not going to want to dig around in cold/damp soil.

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Well last batch we where takeing them out as she layed them. The incuator is already set up and running at 85degrees 50% humidity

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
well i was reading not to use potting soil cuz it can harvest bacteria wich can cause the eggs to mold. What particular brand of potting soil do you use and do you u use just playsand. What do you mix it at 50/50 Guess ive read so much and so many different ways seem to be done not sure what way to go. last time i used potting soil and the eggs came out so dirty. can you rinse them with water or is that bad thing to do
A 50/50 ratio should work just fine. As far as cleaning the eggs, a damp paper towel will work.

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
i let them lay and cover them so she can complete the cycle many times ours have laid an egg or two wile covering them

Bill

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
hay Jeff I just purchased 11 more most of them adult females

Brett

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
May i ask where your getting the adault f im looking for a few more

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
have your incubator setup and running well before the eggs are laid like days or more. When you dig up the eggs how much time has passed if it has been around an hour or so just lay them on there side if it has been a long time (I can't remember the time limit) they need to be placed in the same position you dug them up in.
Oh yeah! I forgot about the position of the eggs. To be safe, the eggs shouldn't be repositioned from how they are removed from the lay-box. Doing so can cause damage to the embryo and eggs should be marked b4 removing from the lay-box

Latest posts