• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Culling and ethics (touchy subject)

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
wow thats such an awesome picture!
its got a bigger brain than most men! lol jk i love u guys

sara

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
My responce is probably NOT what you are looking for but here it is: I hope and pray that I am NEVER faced with a decisin like this!! I love each of my babies like family and would have to take it to a vet as I couldn't do it. I watched one little guy die despite every thing I did for him (although it was the pet stored fault for not supplying proper care to start with) and that was hard enough. HAving to make a decision like this would drive me insane.

pscaulkins

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Sara, I have had to make that decision with my first dragon. I had my vet put him to sleep. What I didn't like about it was it's not fast. They warned me it could take hours to do because of their slow metabolisms. With Zoey it took less because he was almost dead anyway. But just because I was not in the room watching him, I felt I made a horrible mistake because he had to suffer somewhat until he died from the injection.

I am glad I finally had the time to read this discussion. I always thought freezing was the most humane, now I know better.

Since lethal injections isn't fast, freezing is inhumane, smashing the brain is fast but I know I could never do that to my three.

I do know that Semi's breeder flushes babies down the toilet if they have issues. :mad: They were going to flush Semi if I hadn't taken him. There was nothing wrong with Semi except he was ate by crickets but the breeder healed his wounds but didn't want him anymore. I grabbed him because I had never seen a 3" bright orange dragon before not to mention he had a huge personality and wouldn't leave my finger.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
pscaulkins said:
I do know that Semi's breeder flushes babies down the toilet if they have issues. :mad:

Oh my gosh! I can't imagine doing that......ever!

So glad you saved Semi from a terrible death.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He flushes them down the toilet while still alive? That is horrid. It takes a bit to drown a reptile as they can hold their breath for quite a long time so that is just as slow and inhumane as freezing.

Latest posts