• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Zilla Pro Sol Terrarium ? Pros/Cons?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay so I really appreciate your help here... Given the type of screen top i have (wide holed screen) and the current light i have 18x36x12 breeder Tank, a SunDome 10in / Dome Stand/ All in One- SolarGlo 125w...

I should purchase an additional Hood Zoo Med ReptiSun Reptile Terrarium Hood & T5 bulb which can sit directly on top of the screen top
Given that the Solar Glo 125w gives off UVA & UVB should I still get the Hood and T5 Bulb?
You have a low tank - I am gonna enlist some help here- I don't want you getting the wrong bulb

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you so much!!! I really appreciate it!!
What is the distance from the main basking area? Here is the response I got from the person I asked
It kind of depends. Those are low sided enclosures so the lights are a bit close in. What is the distance to the main basking area?

The 125w Solar Glo is common but just okay in terms of quality (better than it used to be). If they are getting proper temps and the bulb is at around 10-14'' from the basking area then it's probably OK (8-12'' or so through a mesh top). If the surface temps aren't right or he can't get the bulb within that range for UVB output, a different solution is better.

I prefer using the T5 and halogen combo because you can set the T5 at 10-12'' and you have the right UVB and then you can adjust the halogen to tweak the heat as needed, independently. The tubes also provide a wider beam, but that's not as big of a deal as long as the dragon can fit under the beam of the Solar Glo to bask evenly.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What is the distance from the main basking area? Here is the response I got from the person I asked
It kind of depends. Those are low sided enclosures so the lights are a bit close in. What is the distance to the main basking area?

The 125w Solar Glo is common but just okay in terms of quality (better than it used to be). If they are getting proper temps and the bulb is at around 10-14'' from the basking area then it's probably OK (8-12'' or so through a mesh top). If the surface temps aren't right or he can't get the bulb within that range for UVB output, a different solution is better.

I prefer using the T5 and halogen combo because you can set the T5 at 10-12'' and you have the right UVB and then you can adjust the halogen to tweak the heat as needed, independently. The tubes also provide a wider beam, but that's not as big of a deal as long as the dragon can fit under the beam of the Solar Glo to bask evenly.
I have asked for clarification for the T 5 ---

kec1029

Bearded Dragon Egg

Okay so currently this is the height (Firefly is wondering what the heck I'm doing )
The other picture is the temperature reading when he isn't sitting directly on the probe...

Attachments

• 20200826_162900.jpg
    20200826_162900.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 13
  • 20200826_131909.jpg
    20200826_131909.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 16

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have asked for clarification for the T 5 ---
Here is the response I got
Sure a T5 is OK on top of a screen. The screen just reduces the output a little, requiring the basking spot to be a bit higher than otherwise. A T5 with a screen (depending on how fine the screen is) usually maintains a good output in the 8-12'' range when using a fixture with a reflector. Those are just rough estimates though rather than exact ranges. Anything close to that should do well as long as there are also areas away from the UVB exposure as you know.

If using a T5 I usually recommend moving the MVB out and using it as a travel light or portable basking spot and just using a halogen for the basking spot so it's easier to adjust the heat as needed. You can dim a halogen but cannot dim a mercury vapor.
Thats the thing w/ MVB its hard to control the UVB that is why a additional UVB is recommended -- so if you get the T 5 place it on top of the screen and have it 8-12 " from the basking decor

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
We are proud new parents to a Baby Inferior Leatherback!
We currently have a Exo-Terra 36x18x12, I replaced the lid with a fully metal mesh (worry wort about the plastic melting)
Currently the light/s we have is an all inclusive Solar Flo 125w that's heating, UVA & UVB, and a Zilla 75w Night black light .... With the current set up the one side of the tank (almost halfway) is dark and not getting light.... Regulating basking spot has going okay (if my husband stops messing with the house AC)
I really like the easy of a Hood lamp set up ... I really like the Zilla Pro Sol, anyone have this set up? Pros Cons?
Remove the black light ASAP. NO colored lights for a Beardie, it burns their eyes. Unless I have he aca blaring all nite, you don’t need heat at night. They like pure dark and no colored bulbs ever. U can use a ceramic heat emitter in the winter a 60 watt which produces heat and no color;) also best to get a bigger tank when he’s a year old. And solar flo is way to strong get a ZooMed basking bulb 100watt and the Reptisun T5 10.0 long tubular bulb ans Holder tomcocer 70 percent of the tank. It makes the tank light and bright and is the best uvb for the reptile. The long tube goes in the back starting at he hot side and that way the cold side has a break from the uvb and the heat lamp goes on the right or left wherever your hot side is. Temp 100-105 till he’s about 4 months or so then 102 is good. Also lots of crickets and Dubias as babies/juveniles they need lots of protein and those are the best. Do not beer do meal wormsnit impacts them and no sand substrate only smooth shelf liner or paper towels or white terry cloth towels as th substrate. Greens sn veggies 3 of each he will eat anything when little and be ready when he gets older. Dandelions, mustard/collard greens, endives and veggies yellow sqayash, snap peas, butternut squash and green beans. Cut them small bite size and mix it all together 2 bowls a day one in morning and a new one late afternoon alongside 4-5 designs of protein;) also baths twice a week in lukewarm water that’s dechkorinated if it’s not, buy reptisafe and place 2 drips per cup In drinking and bathing water and most him 3 times a day with the dechkorinated water too;)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Here is the response I got
Sure a T5 is OK on top of a screen. The screen just reduces the output a little, requiring the basking spot to be a bit higher than otherwise. A T5 with a screen (depending on how fine the screen is) usually maintains a good output in the 8-12'' range when using a fixture with a reflector. Those are just rough estimates though rather than exact ranges. Anything close to that should do well as long as there are also areas away from the UVB exposure as you know.

If using a T5 I usually recommend moving the MVB out and using it as a travel light or portable basking spot and just using a halogen for the basking spot so it's easier to adjust the heat as needed. You can dim a halogen but cannot dim a mercury vapor.
Thats the thing w/ MVB its hard to control the UVB that is why a additional UVB is recommended -- so if you get the T 5 place it on top of the screen and have it 8-12 " from the basking decor
Ok so 17 inches and its 101 - it looks like you could actually move it over and see if you can raise the heat a little not above 110

kec1029

Bearded Dragon Egg
Should I be concerned about the surface area of the basking spot?
Is it better to have a hammock in the basking spot to avoid burning?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Should I be concerned about the surface area of the basking spot?
Is it better to have a hammock in the basking spot to avoid burning?
No for hammock -- they dont give accurate readings from a infrared heat gun -- probe is best if you use a hammock - its nice to have a temp gradient like a piece of basking decor that would offer that something like this
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/ha...riftwood-reptile-decor-54734.html?cgid=500116 this piece you can set in the tank different ways and it offers them a place to sit stand lay on or under - I have two in my two tanks and I have it laying down w/ the stick part of the floor w/ the big trunk under the basking light - this one pic is from a while back --- I have sinced moved the piece under the basking decor and layed it down so that stick is not in the air anymore

Attachments

• 0104191400.jpg
    0104191400.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Hiccup brumation time 1-12-2019.jpg
    Hiccup brumation time 1-12-2019.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 12

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No for hammock -- they dont give accurate readings from a infrared heat gun -- probe is best if you use a hammock - its nice to have a temp gradient like a piece of basking decor that would offer that something like this
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/ha...riftwood-reptile-decor-54734.html?cgid=500116 this piece you can set in the tank different ways and it offers them a place to sit stand lay on or under - I have two in my two tanks and I have it laying down w/ the stick part of the floor w/ the big trunk under the basking light - this one pic is from a while back --- I have sinced moved the piece under the basking decor and layed it down so that stick is not in the air anymore
With your stand you have better options of lowering and raising to get the right temp -- for Firefly you want it between 105-110 --- hes a baby and for now that temp will be fine as he gets older he wont want it that hot like around 6 months old --- thats why its nice to offer the hotter and lower temps -- they will bask where they want to

kec1029

Bearded Dragon Egg
With your stand you have better options of lowering and raising to get the right temp -- for Firefly you want it between 105-110 --- hes a baby and for now that temp will be fine as he gets older he wont want it that hot like around 6 months old --- thats why its nice to offer the hotter and lower temps -- they will bask where they want to

Okay so, my son is holding him now so I'll take this time to adjust the lighting and let it sit to make sure I get an accurate temp reading . I have both a infrared heat gun and a probe (which he just LOVES to lay on, which makes nervous because I can't see a good temp reading that way paranoia I guess haha)

I do have a wooded feature there and the back wall is a 4D styrofoam that s/he like to climb as well...
Is it bad that the cooler side is so dark? (Disregard the silver dome as that once house the night light that is NO MORE thanks to your advice! )
S/his water dish is over there in case they want it... It gets changed daily.... I know they don't need to drink everyday but force a habit to give ally pets fresh water (I have 2 dogs )

Attachments

• 20200826_171123.jpg
    20200826_171123.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 14
  • 20200826_171157.jpg
    20200826_171157.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 11
  • 20200826_171157.jpg
    20200826_171157.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 12

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay so, my son is holding him now so I'll take this time to adjust the lighting and let it sit to make sure I get an accurate temp reading . I have both a infrared heat gun and a probe (which he just LOVES to lay on, which makes nervous because I can't see a good temp reading that way paranoia I guess haha)

I do have a wooded feature there and the back wall is a 4D styrofoam that s/he like to climb as well...
Is it bad that the cooler side is so dark? (Disregard the silver dome as that once house the night light that is NO MORE thanks to your advice! )
S/his water dish is over there in case they want it... It gets changed daily.... I know they don't need to drink everyday but force a habit to give ally pets fresh water (I have 2 dogs )
You can use a LED light in the dark side of the tank - your UVB is going to light up that tank - it wont produce heat but it will light it up-- also if you get tired of that sand mat you can get some NON adhesive shelf liner w/ some texture from Home Depot or your local home improvement store cut it to the size of your tank - cleans up real nice w/ vinegar/water 50/50- do you have the nutrition website - and are you feeding salads every day to Firefly- he need them every morning - what are you feeding for insects?

kec1029

Bearded Dragon Egg
You can use a LED light in the dark side of the tank - your UVB is going to light up that tank - it wont produce heat but it will light it up-- also if you get tired of that sand mat you can get some NON adhesive shelf liner w/ some texture from Home Depot or your local home improvement store cut it to the size of your tank - cleans up real nice w/ vinegar/water 50/50- do you have the nutrition website - and are you feeding salads every day to Firefly- he need them every morning - what are you feeding for insects?

Oh I am already over the mat and looking into a slate tile insert (asking my dad to make one that's from one solid piece of slate for easy clean up! I'm so annoyed by the mat that's falling apart already and hides the damn roaches

He get fresh greens, Arugula and escarole, I've offered carrot shavings and today cucumber shavings. He gets a fresh bowl every morning...
Protein well this is another new " challenge"
I have offered him itty bitty crickets, a duabi roach, and wax worms. .
He ate a cricket and ate a roach no interest in the worm. He has since Monday evening, refuse all food... I'm actually buying a little camera to set up to see if he is eating at night (which I doubt because is usually in the exact same spot where he fell asleep in the morning...
This is my new panicked moment...
I was under the impression that they eat a ton of these protein things when they are younger... Based on his length I'm thinking 1-2 months even though I was told 3-4months old

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok so 17 inches and its 101 - it looks like you could actually move it over and see if you can raise the heat a little not above 110
My friend also posted this about the T 5 and temps etc
Yep that temp is good and if the basking area is within the range I specified then it should be OK. The addition of the T5 shouldn't cause an issue and should be at about the same range as the MVB for proper output through the mesh top.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh I am already over the mat and looking into a slate tile insert (asking my dad to make one that's from one solid piece of slate for easy clean up! I'm so annoyed by the mat that's falling apart already and hides the damn roaches

He get fresh greens, Arugula and escarole, I've offered carrot shavings and today cucumber shavings. He gets a fresh bowl every morning...
Protein well this is another new " challenge"
I have offered him itty bitty crickets, a duabi roach, and wax worms. .
He ate a cricket and ate a roach no interest in the worm. He has since Monday evening, refuse all food... I'm actually buying a little camera to set up to see if he is eating at night (which I doubt because is usually in the exact same spot where he fell asleep in the morning...
This is my new panicked moment...
I was under the impression that they eat a ton of these protein things when they are younger... Based on his length I'm thinking 1-2 months even though I was told 3-4months old
Ok relocation stress is normal - they can go thru it til they get used to their surroundings - you dont want to hold him too long and out of the tank - try and let him get used to you -- it will effect their eating - so as long as hes eating something your good - its when they quit eating all together there is a issue - as long as hes got good basking temps and UVB he will eat - once he starts eating he will eat quite a bit - wax worms can be used as lures to the salad bowl and I would limit them - they are fatty and should be used sparingly -- I am going to send you to a website for worms --- I want you to get some BSFL order large they are another great staple feeder - use as many as you want do not dust them - get some small super worms - use 1-3 on top of his salads and get some butter worms 1-3 top of salads - the BSFL can be kept on your counter or in the door of the fridge they will go dormant so if you do that make sure you get them out 10 minutes or so before serving you want them moving - and clean them off they will be in a dirt type you dont need to do anything w/ them - the super and butter worms come in a type of meal you dont need to feed them either - dubia roaches are easier to care for - if you get a 10 gallon aquarium and dubia food along w/ carrots and squash for hydration just dont feed Firefly carrots too - to much Vit A --
http://www.mulberryfarms.com/ they are spendy on shipping and orders must be backed up cuz they are taking awhile to get them out I orderd 8/22 and it still has not shipped yet ---
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
you will want something like this for feeding
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
this is so your bugs/ worms dont escape --- feed first thing in the morning salads and worms keep trying w the wax worms we want him to that food bowl - if you can find some small super worms where you live or BSFL also known as phoenix worms calci worms or nutri grubs get them
www.dubiaroarches.com great place for roaches and worms when they have them horn worms usually come small from them when you order medium -- they grow really fast so order in small amounts - they cannot get bigger than him
www.symptonbsf.com great place for the BSFL --
another staple feeder a good lure to the bowl are silk worms and I have not been able to find them
www.coastalsolkworms.com has them but they are really spendy on shipping so I have not ordered any and my go to place does have them cupped only but I think they are too big for Firefly now -- I usually get them in bulk and they come small but they dont have them ---
So just keep offering him salads try and lure him to the bowl --- you can use your dubias they are good and the tiny crickets too --- Make sure your dusting the crickets and dubias calcium D3 once per day 5 x per week and Vitamins one time per day 2 x per week - that is when he starts eating more and your feeding / offering him food twice per day -

kec1029

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am ordering an additional UVB T5 now, 18" should be good I think right ? I have these powders, but it's hard to know if he's actually getting any of it with the whole not eating now.... Can I put it on the salad ?

I have a little plastic good dish, because I was told the roaches can't climb plastic

I'll need to get more roaches and tomorrow as they keep dying.... I HAD little wax worms (that was untile the dog found the container and they are all gone now .... I think it's the oatmeal I was told to keep them in that draws her to it them... And the fact I left it on the floor)

I am getting rid of the styrofoam backing because any crickets & roaches I put in the cage all climb under the little gaps and hid behind it and under the this stupid mat haha.

What is considered too long out of the tank? It's really no more that 30mins at a time

Because s/he seems like they really come to life out of the tank, we have a specific room where we go into warmest room in the house actually and we sit in the couch and he just kinda walks around and looks around.. doesn't really run too fast yet...
He has fallen asleep on my son twice now (even did that little wiggle thing )

I was schooled very deeply about hornworms and how you can slow and speed up their growth.... Super crazy!

I really just want to get in a routine and get him eating normally. We got him on Friday of last week...

I honestly can't thank you enough for helping me! It's so refreshing, I was becoming slightly overwhelmed from all the research and conflicting views .... This is much easier to get a grip on! Thank you !!!

Attachments

• 20200820_201439.jpg
    11.4 MB · Views: 3

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am ordering an additional UVB T5 now, 18" should be good I think right ? I have these powders, but it's hard to know if he's actually getting any of it with the whole not eating now.... Can I put it on the salad ?

I have a little plastic good dish, because I was told the roaches can't climb plastic

I'll need to get more roaches and tomorrow as they keep dying.... I HAD little wax worms (that was untile the dog found the container and they are all gone now .... I think it's the oatmeal I was told to keep them in that draws her to it them... And the fact I left it on the floor)

I am getting rid of the styrofoam backing because any crickets & roaches I put in the cage all climb under the little gaps and hid behind it and under the this stupid mat haha.

What is considered too long out of the tank? It's really no more that 30mins at a time

Because s/he seems like they really come to life out of the tank, we have a specific room where we go into warmest room in the house actually and we sit in the couch and he just kinda walks around and looks around.. doesn't really run too fast yet...
He has fallen asleep on my son twice now (even did that little wiggle thing )

I was schooled very deeply about hornworms and how you can slow and speed up their growth.... Super crazy!

I really just want to get in a routine and get him eating normally. We got him on Friday of last week...

I honestly can't thank you enough for helping me! It's so refreshing, I was becoming slightly overwhelmed from all the research and conflicting views .... This is much easier to get a grip on! Thank you !!!
A T 5 will not come in a 18"-- the shortest is 24" I believe- the 18- 22" is a T 8- I think glass or ceramic dishes work best-- you can try the plastic but they may escape--
You haven't had him long and he's warming up nicely- you don't want to overwhelm him and you wanting him eating-- does he have stress marks?
You want to dust the insects- take a potato salad container small from the deli and put your powder in that put your roaches in it shake they don't need to look like a powder donut- same w/ the vitamins- crickets you will haft to use a ziploc bag-
The little wiggle thing is cute I have heard they do that---- they are snuggle bugs especially when they get older

kec1029

Bearded Dragon Egg
S/He has some... But they dont look bad at all.... Can they go away? Because sometimes when we have him out of the take it looks like his belly is all white and no signs of stress marks ....

This was earlier , but it looks like it's just mostly on his beard area...

Attachments

• 20200826_220654.jpg
    20200826_220654.jpg
    392.1 KB · Views: 12

kec1029

Bearded Dragon Egg
I mean this is current situation .... I tried to peek under his chin and it looks completely white ....
When they sleep ... They are OUT COLD!!! I wish I could do that! He fell asleep like this haven't had the heart to move 'em yet

Attachments

• 20200826_220856.jpg
    20200826_220856.jpg
    852.8 KB · Views: 14

Latest posts