• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Worried about my bearded dragon

gemma

Hatchling Dragon
Hi all just need some advice my bearded dragon is really black under his chin and his sides I'm not sure why tho also my partner put his hand in his tank before to put some salad in for him and he puffed his beard out at my partner has anybody got any advice as to why thank you

gemma

Hatchling Dragon
Just lately he's constantly black under his chin and his sides whether he's in his tank or not would that indicate that theres something wrong with him? And he's not long since shed I just don't understand why he's all of a sudden puffing his beard out when you open his tank :/

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
Luvthemanimal is right...though sometimes their beards remain slightly darkened at all times even. Depends on the dragon. Could mean territorial..nervous.. angry.. try talking to him as you approach and moving more slowly. A pic would be nice too I think :)

gemma

Hatchling Dragon
I'll take a picture in the morning as he's asleep now and ye it's just his beard and sides but his beard is the darkest

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Than its a territorial thing. He's basically saying back off leave me the hell alone. Good chance he's about to shedd also.

What's setup like?
Basking temps?
Cool side temps?
Substrate?

I do anything different when u go in tank to get him?

Mine will get pissed puff up open mouth etc when I use hand sanitizer before getting him. If I don't use the sanitizer he's usually fine.

gemma

Hatchling Dragon
uploadfromtaptalk1392019034012.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1392019061074.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1392019095088.jpg

gemma

Hatchling Dragon
No not that I've noticed as he's still been eating and chasing his food around his tank like he normally does

gemma

Hatchling Dragon
He's not being nippy and the only change is him puffing his beard up when my partner put his hand in his tank

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
Mmm...well it was just an idea. Maybe it is that he feels the need to mate (please don't think I'm suggesting that you give him the opportunity... he'll get over it) Or maybe it's territorial or just him being grumpy. Regardless it doesn't sound to me like anything to worry about as long as he's eating, hydrated, active and appears healthy :) Thanks for the pics by the way he's a handsome fellow!

gemma

Hatchling Dragon
oh he won't be getting the chance to mate haha and is there a chance he will bite one of us when i put my hand in his tank he hasn't puffed up at me and let me stroke him this morning it's just my partner he puffed up at but normally prefers my partner to me haha

atochats

Juvenile Dragon
I suppose anything's possible. ..he may nip at you...but I think he's maybe just going thru a bit of behavior change and I wouldn't spend too much energy worrying about it at this point ;)

Latest posts