• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wood Vs Glass enclosures

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
*snicker*
I have my moments. Being geekish can be rather beneficial at times. rofl

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
TheWolfmanTom said:
Can I buy a hammer drill now iffin we are gonna tear stuff apart???
Or a torch??? I like those.

Those would definitely come in handy.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
TheWolfmanTom said:
See I have support.
I think you guys should call lowes and remove the restraining order ;D

There's always Home Depot, if Lowes won't comply. You know....you can order things online these days, too. ;D

Have we gone and bled all over Francis' nice thread? LOL!

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes we have Craig, but Francis will support me getting the new toys.
However, Im pretty much not aloud in and tool store within a 200 mile radius....lol
Something about a jackhammer, a torch and a soda machine. I dont know. People get worked up over nothing. ;D

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
TheWolfmanTom said:
Yes we have Craig, but Francis will support me getting the new toys.

Cool. Good support is so hard to find these days.....well, unless you're looking for something athletic. ;D

However, Im pretty much not aloud in any tool store within a 200 mile radius....lol
Something about a jackhammer, a torch and a soda machine. I dont know. People get worked up over nothing. ;D

Hmm....doesn't seem like anything out of the ordinary to me. :D

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
However, Im pretty much not aloud in and tool store within a 200 mile radius....

a new hair do, put on a dress and paint your nails dude. People will be either too afraid to approach you to run you off..........or too busy trying to tell what's up with the new girl in town.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I toooooold you you shoulda come visit at Xmus.. they don't know you down here, Tom...
Jack hammer.. got it...
Flame thrower aka torch.. yep...
Plus a few assorted crow bars... Just in case you really wanna go extreme...

Does that help ?
Janie... *miss innocence*

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a nice sledge hammer to throw in there for you.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ladyknite said:
Wood, meaning ALL wood is porous. Regardless of sealing, caulking and other measures we take. With each cut of that wood, each screw that's driven, and each and every joint there are laden bacteria that we only think we clean out. We assume that the 1:10 bleach solution does the trick. And I suppose if that's what makes everybody sleep better at night, then it'll do. But me..........not so much. It's comparable to trying to clean the center of the tree trunk. Porous meaning things go beneath the surface.

Great points as always Gina, this then brings me to another part of husbandry that in my honest opinion is underlooked or has had an undesired apathetic approach given to it. I'm talking about proper hygeine, I asked this question a while back as well on peoples cleaning process. Most of the answers would clean the enclosures of waste matter and have it smelling fresh but some harmfull items do not have a smell. I thought i would have gotten a lot of answers with the word Nolvasan (sp) in it but I did'nt which i was quite suprised about. I for one am very pedanthic about my enclosures and their cleanliness (though i don't always get around to spot cleaning everything on the "spot"), they get a scheduled tear apart once a month with veterinary grade disinfectant. I use a product called F10sc, it's a proper viral disinffectant that would even kill parvo and rabies let alone any of the other fungal and bacterial matter that has developed in the enclosures. This is a avenue that we may explore later.

I was a glass user for years but three little magical words have chnaged my reptile word forever and i have never looked back, "Stacks and Racks" that was all the convincing i needed. Being a fellow reptile geek, I then looked into the most applicable material with the skill and budget i had to make this enclosures. The answer was High Moisture Resistant melamine coated medium density fibre boards, I make all my enclosures from this material. Melanine is designed to be a non-porous material (still is I would only classify it as "minimally porous) as it is a polyerathane based coating, with proper hygeine there should be no remants of viral or bacterial matter on it (that's why it is also used on kitchen tops and cuboards).

The issue of relocation stress and reptiles liking things to stay the same is another issue that we may look at on another time. "Relocation/re-arrangement stress vs Mental stimuli".

Cheers,

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've got to get me some of that Nolvasan. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm talking about proper hygeine, I asked this question a while back as well on peoples cleaning process. Most of the answers would clean the enclosures of waste matter and have it smelling fresh but some harmfull items do not have a smell.

oops, I missed a thread. Sorry, didn't see that one.

As for cleaning, I use a laboratory grade agent that allegedly kills HIV, bacteria, microbes and creates a sterile environment. Now don't get me wrong, I realize as soon as air hits it, it's no longer sterile. Following that i use a vinegar base and a clean rise. I also strip down the enclosures and re-caulk every 90 days.

I look forward to the discussion of
"Relocation/re-arrangement stress vs Mental stimuli".
but believe that relocation is slightly different from rearrangement. At least in my house.

All in all, I'm a Rack em and Stack em Girl (don't that sound great ;) )

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ladyknite said:
As for cleaning, I use a laboratory grade agent that allegedly kills HIV, bacteria, microbes and creates a sterile environment. Now don't get me wrong, I realize as soon as air hits it, it's no longer sterile. Following that i use a vinegar base and a clean rise. I also strip down the enclosures and re-caulk every 90 days.

Now that's dedication Gina, re-caulking every 90 days. I guess that's the reason why i dont permenantly seal anything into the enclosure itself. I dont grout tiles in and I silicon seal all the joints withi the enclosure not perfect but it's the best i can do without bathing the enclosure in UVC for hours lol. (hmmm must get my hands on high intensity xenon flourite bulbs)

Latest posts