• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

WHAT DO YOU FEED YOUR BD

BPz27

Juvenile Dragon
So tomorrow On my day off gonna be spending some time with Pierre and get him eating. Gonna start with the bee pollen in the syringe to get him that taste flavor hopes he like it. Then gonna try and force feed him some green leaf. If he give me a hard time I'm gonna try putting his veggies in the blender and use the syringe

BPz27

Juvenile Dragon
Alright so I took Pierre and force fed him the bee pollen via syringe. I added warm water and m8x the pollen together and squirted in his mouth. I made him a salad and use the bee pollen I mixed up with water in his salad as a dressing hoping that it will entice him to eat it but we shall see. Here's a pic of him basking away
20161012_152841.jpg

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok update, so i went to the health store by my job and got some bee pollen yay, so now that im lookin at it I thought it would be like powder form, but its more of a lil tiny rocks, so my question is do u feed the pollen like that or should i add water to make it like mushy. Any tips will be appreaciated.
yea mine are in granule form too I don't have a grinder so I just put some in a baggie and take a hammer to it :)

BPz27

Juvenile Dragon
yea mine are in granule form too I don't have a grinder so I just put some in a baggie and take a hammer to it :)
yeaha i had to syringe the bee pollen in him, i pour some over his salad but i dont think he took a bite, not a salad eater, but hes 17 months so hopefully he come around

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
some like the bee pollen some don't ... just be careful squirting it in their mouths I find when mine are in the sink I dribble on their nose and my female is really good about taking to the syringe my male not so much but he's a much better eater...

BPz27

Juvenile Dragon
some like the bee pollen some don't ... just be careful squirting it in their mouths I find when mine are in the sink I dribble on their nose and my female is really good about taking to the syringe my male not so much but he's a much better eater...

yeaha i watched a few video and i was able to get the syringe in, its i just squirt a lil here and there, dont want him to drown on the stuff lol

BPz27

Juvenile Dragon
Alright so my Pierre is a gangsta so I went out to get crickets for baby girl gecko and wanted to test a theory on Pierre. So he didn't eat his salad with the bee pollen in it. I gave him another force feed syringe of bee pollen. But here's my test I showed him the bag of crickets and nothing didn't even jump for it. So since I took away his Super worms I still has them in the container. So I took one and showed him and sure enough the lil bugger tried to go for it. I'm like nope not in my house u sit and play the stubborn role and not eat your veggie you not getting the Super. I just wanted to test if he would eat. But clearly he does but the worm only so he won't be getting no insect until he eat his salad

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I wouldn't just give bee pollen and water. I would blend up his salad items in a blender like a smoothie and mix the bee pollen in that. Bee pollen is great for the immune system but it isn't food, it's a supplement like us taking a vitamin. Like Hdrydr31 said, dribble it on the tip of his nose and get him to lick it off.

BPz27

Juvenile Dragon
I wouldn't just give bee pollen and water. I would blend up his salad items in a blender like a smoothie and mix the bee pollen in that. Bee pollen is great for the immune system but it isn't food, it's a supplement like us taking a vitamin. Like Hdrydr31 said, dribble it on the tip of his nose and get him to lick it off.
Yeaha thats what ima do today, ima make a veggie smoothie and force feed it via syringe, sucks i have to go this route but sometimes u gotta do what u gotta do, on the plus size he hadnt changed in weight so theres no weight loss, so that good he just being a stubborn lil brat i guess he is my son lol

BPz27

Juvenile Dragon
So I blended up some veggies added bee pollen apple strawberry parsley aragula turnip together. She was very good didn't fight or struggle so she got a full tube of veggies so I will continue this process until she start eating veggies on her own. Now my question is should I take a step further and force feed him the actual green leaf so that it can know and understand that this is what u should be eating.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sometimes it takes some tough love on eating salads and some just don't want them so when that happens you feed the salads to your feeders and they can get the nutrients that way.. the best insect for really good gut loading are dubia roaches as their GI tracts are really long..
My gal took to syringe eating really easily I still give her feedings that way so I know for sure she's getting what she needs.. My fella isn't very fond of the slurries lol he will shake his head slinging it everywhere... except today he readily took quite a bit but then again they are both brumating so they were both thirsty today. The key is to get them to start licking and you slowly give them drops and remember not to stroke their beard as it may push the liquid down before they are ready to swallow.
Good to hear that there is no weight loss going on they can be kinda picky.

BPz27

Juvenile Dragon
Sometimes it takes some tough love on eating salads and some just don't want them so when that happens you feed the salads to your feeders and they can get the nutrients that way.. the best insect for really good gut loading are dubia roaches as their GI tracts are really long..
My gal took to syringe eating really easily I still give her feedings that way so I know for sure she's getting what she needs.. My fella isn't very fond of the slurries lol he will shake his head slinging it everywhere... except today he readily took quite a bit but then again they are both brumating so they were both thirsty today. The key is to get them to start licking and you slowly give them drops and remember not to stroke their beard as it may push the liquid down before they are ready to swallow.
Good to hear that there is no weight loss going on they can be kinda picky.
Yea i know she was drinking the veggies as it was going in we just squirt a lil at a time giving her time to swallow but it was funny seeing her lick her chop lol but ya I'm still adjusting to calling my boy a girl. Now I'm thinking should I change her name from Pierre to something lol

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I wouldn't force feed any leafy stuff. Eventually she will come around and eat the greens on her own.

BPz27

Juvenile Dragon
I wouldn't force feed any leafy stuff. Eventually she will come around and eat the greens on her own.
Ok I had all her veggies mix in and blended. I just want to make sure she had something in her tummy since she wasn't eating. She going thru brummation phase as wifey been keeping and eye on her said she been sleeping in her log all day yesterday

BPz27

Juvenile Dragon
Hello world, its been a while but just want do a update, So ever since my last mgs which is about a month an half ago i started the force feed as MS.P wasnt eating nothing at all. I figure it was due to her brumation as she slept for a few days here and there, but that was say last month, she awake and stuff, but still doesnt eat the greens, i leave salad in her tank daily and no bite, I took her to the vet to see if everything was ok, they said she looks healthy and no parasites, and that she hadnt lost any weight, and just suggest me to just keep leaving food in the dish and that in hope she comes around.

So IDK if should stop with the syringe feeding, and just put salad in there daily and hope she gets hungry enough to eat. Cuz man this lil girl can be stubborn like i think the longest she went without feed is when i tried to get her off super worms was like 5 days, i just dont want baby girl to starve. Also she doesnt like any insect, no crickets not even super worms. I was gonna try a hornworm but figure if she aint eating the super she aint gonna eat the horn.

CrazyLeopardGeckoLady

Juvenile Dragon
A website called beautifuldtagons.com has a list of foods they can and can't eat and how often if you're interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If there is no weight loss I wouldn't worry too much.. just try at bathtime to see if she will drink... dribble it on her nose...
bathtime is where I do slurries, where they do their business..

BPz27

Juvenile Dragon
If there is no weight loss I wouldn't worry too much.. just try at bathtime to see if she will drink... dribble it on her nose...
bathtime is where I do slurries, where they do their business..
See that's the thing that makes not worry too much as she not losing weight. She very alert and see everything going on but she just won't eat. So what ima do is not syringe feed her and just keep putting salad in her tank and hope she come around. As for bath time. I sort of got her trained that she only poop when it's bath time. I made it a habit when she was 6 months. I know if I decide to get another BD I'll get a baby so that I can assure it eats their greens as I feel petsmart just use crickets and pellets

Latest posts